AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Given how far behind these guys were with their first release, it will probably be an HD1 unit that will reach the dealers about the same time the (expected) considerably superior HD2 units are released by the competition.

Dan

·
Registered
183 Posts
My understanding is that the new Yamaha will be a 1280x720 LCD not DLP. Pictures show it too be almost identical in appearance to the already available Epson TW-100. Rumors say it is the exact same machine but with some minor tweaking, Yamaha nameplate and a higher sticker price.

The Epson can be had oversees for about 4 bills.

-jp

·
Premium Member
24,823 Posts
Dan,

"considerably superior HD2 units"

I'm curious as why you seem to believe this so strongly. Any hard facts? I'd really like to know, as I have a friend who can pick up a VP12si for me in Tokyo soon, but the advisability of that depends a lot on how much better HD2's really are.

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
Actually Yamaha has two different projectors coming out. One is the LCD that JPSchmoe referred to. It will be available in September at an MSRP between $5500-$6000. Yamaha also intends to release a DLP that they hope to show at CEDIA and release during the 1st quarter of 2003. It will likely be around $13000 MSRP but there is very little info available on it besides the fact that it will be 1280x720.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Noah:

I'm basing it on the quantum jump in CR and brightness reported for the HP XB31, at least some of which is directly attributed to the HD2 by the user "XB31" who is an HP projector guy. Apparently, the TI technical paper also attributes benefits to the 12 degree mirrors. And doesn't it stand to reason that would be so? Although it is only 2 degrees greater rotation, that is really 20 percent improvement, which is significant. Apparently, this is also a true 16:9 chip as opposed to a masked 4:3 chip, which may also allow for optical improvements.

And see this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=142331

TI is apparently announcing they've done some optics work that results in a quantum leap in CR. From the sound of it, this technology should make it's way into new projectors pretty quick.

That's a tough call for you--having someone who can pick up a Marantz and gently bring it home, all for a killer price, is pretty hard to pass up. All indications are that if you get a good one, this is a very good projector indeed. Of course, there's the warranty issue, which has been discussed in detail. If you get a good one, I would think you couldn't get burned too much if you resell it later. Can your friend test the unit before he accepts it? Can you have him check serial numbers and try to get a very recent build, as that may not have the bad bulb problem.

On the other hand, if the TI paper is to be believed, we're about to see a big leap forward in DLP projectors.

Sure glad I don't have to make this decision! :D

As for Yamaha, sounds like their taking someone else's projectors and reselling them at higher price. Why pay more? For that $13K price, the second one had darned better sure be an HD2 machine with RGBRGB colorwheel!

·
Premium Member
24,823 Posts
Dan,

" HP XB31, at least some of which is directly attributed to the HD2 by the user "XB31""

Not sure what you mean, as the XB31 is an XGA chip, not HD2.

However, it stands to reason that the HD2 pj,s may improve on the HD1's as much as the XB31 chip does over previous XGA's. And probably for less money than even the Japan cost of the VP12.

I guess I'll wait (I have months of construction before I'm ready anyhow).

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Noah: You're right--what I meant to say was attributed to the 12 degree mirrors.

As I interpret the TI paper, they've made some serious improvements in the optics, combined with the 12 degree mirrors of the new 4:3 AND 16:9 (HD2) chips, that results in CRs in the neighborhood of 1800 PLUS very great improvement in brightness.

Of course, for those for whom it is an issue, rainbow remains a factor with DLP. Bearing in mind the XB31 is a presentation projector, the results when these innovations are adapted into an HT projector should be pretty exciting. At least that's how I read it.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.