AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we gladly welcome in 2009, here are some of the HD highlights for your viewing pleasure tonight:

ABC - Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve w/Ryan Seacrest

Fergie in Hollywood, Kelly Pickler in NYC, The Jonas Brothers, and more.

CNN - New Years Eve Live w/AC

Anderson Cooper in the Big Apple and across the US with Lil Wayne, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Coolio, 3 Doors Down, and more.

ESPN - New Year, No Limits

Stunts by Ribbie Maddison jumping his motorcycle onto the top of the Arc De Triomphe replica at Paris, and Rhys Millen shoots for the first 360 degree rotation of a truck (?).

FOX - New Year's Eve Live

Spike Feresten and Mark Thompson from Times Square in New York, and festivities from Las Vegas including David Cook, Daughtry, Scott Weiland, and more.

FOX News - U Party

Megyn Kelly and Bill Hemmer from NYC's Times Square, with LoCash Cowboys, Chuck Wicks, and more.

NBC - New Years Eve w/Carson Daly

Live from NYC with Elton John, Katy Perry, Ting Tings. Amy Robach and Luke Russert report.

PBS - Live From Lincoln Center

Hosted by Renee Fleming, New York Philharmonic New Years Eve Gala, with Lorin Maazal, Susan Graham. Performing from Bizet's Carmen, Lehar's The Merry Widow, Strauss's Ariadne auf Naxos.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hard to declare a "winner" in this sorta sad group of broadcasts, but I'd have to give it to ABC for what seems like a continuous 16:9 HD presentation throughout. Dick Clark really needs to give it up. Sad, pathetic. Let Ryan be the host.

FNC U Party would have been much more watchable if Megyn Kelly wasn't covered up to her neck.
FNC should think about moving the NYE party to Miami Beach, or a hot, sweaty carribbean island next year.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Anderson Cooper acting as a straight man for Kathy Griffin felt like it was on the verge of spinning out of control, gives it a spontaneous feeling. CNN used alot of multiscreen instead of full screen images, which I didn't care for that much.

Watching Dick Clark for me is a mixed experience. He no longer has the image of the world's oldest teenager, but he also doesn't appear an invalid. He seems lucid and had more air time this year. Seacrest is clearly the primary milk toast host. If Dick Clark wasn't on I wonder if I'd watch at all.

For all the talk about the new ball there weren't that many shots of its lighting effects and drop on CNN, CNBC and ABC.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD /forum/post/15429542

Watching Dick Clark for me is a mixed experience. He no longer has the image of the world's oldest teenager, but he also doesn't appear an invalid. He seems lucid and had more air time this year. Seacrest is clearly the primary milk toast host. If Dick Clark wasn't on I wonder if I'd watch at all.

I agree with you about Dick Clark. He's recovering from the stroke he had 4+ years ago. His face looked a little weird though. Don't know if it was the lighting or makeup or just him.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule123 /forum/post/15429161

Dick Clark really needs to give it up. Sad, pathetic. Let Ryan be the host.

FNC U Party would have been much more watchable if Megyn Kelly wasn't covered up to her neck.

Completely agree on Megyn Kelly.

Completely disagree on Dick Clark. He is a national institution that helped shape American music and daytime television for decades.

His hearing was not affected by the stroke. He knows how bad he sounds. It takes a lot of guts to go on national television sounding as he does. I think he does it to show that people who have had a stroke can still contribute.

Even though it is difficult to watch, in a weird way, I kind of feel obligated to watch him each year as long as he keeps showing up.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Was going to go online last night and post this but didn't have a chance:

-Was I the only one watching the ABC presentation who noticed a faint line down the left hand side of the screen (Vertically from top to bottom) that was there on all the live camera feeds? I was watching the D* HD feed on WABC (from NY) on my HR22. There were no similar problems on ANY other channels so I know it wasn't my display...but there was too much going on for me to try to view WABC-DT OTA on another TV/setup.....

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger16309 /forum/post/15431071

Completely disagree on Dick Clark. He is a national institution that helped shape American music and daytime television for decades.

His hearing was not affected by the stroke. He knows how bad he sounds. It takes a lot of guts to go on national television sounding as he does. I think he does it to show that people who have had a stroke can still contribute.

Even though it is difficult to watch, in a weird way, I kind of feel obligated to watch him each year as long as he keeps showing up.

I feel exactly the same way. He suffered from a major stroke, and it has taken lots of work and courage to get to the point where he is today. Each year he looks and sounds a little better, and offers encouragement to anyone who has, or knows someone who has, had a stroke.

I thought he looked really good this year, with the exception of his mouth, which is still hard for him to control. He kept up with the countdown and showed lots of enthusiasm. And, if you looked at the glimmering expressiveness of his eyes, America's Teenager was back.

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.