AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Long Island (30 miles or so from Empire States Building) and I'm getting CBS 2.1 and FOX 5.1 & 5.2 also PBS 21.1 HDTV and last two weeks I have been searching new channels and 2 weeks ago I picked up ABC 6.1 & 6.2 and couldn't believe it but they lasted hour or so.

Question is what is going on? ABC doing some work and puts these signals sometimes?

Right now ABC (6.1 and 6.2) shows no signal on my TV but TV's future keeps those channels in the memory and whenever they send signals I pick them up.

This morning was up around 45 minutes and gone now.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I believe your picking up abc from philly, i do most night also, only to see it gone by around 10am

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually news studio is New york (I know the people from NY studio) but weather and traffic like you said Philly (Very weird).

If I do get Philly!!! How can I get Philly from probably 150 Miles away?

I still believe ABC NY trying these in New York thst is what I'm getting ones in a while.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salacakli

I still believe ABC NY trying these in New York thst is what I'm getting ones in a while.
You are incorrect. These are definitely Philadelphia signals. I also have been getting them for over 3 years. When ABC New York returns to the air they will be on channel 45 which your receiver will display as 7.1, not 6.1.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is Philly how can I get over the air from 150 miles or more away.

Lets say miracle happens and I get it why is so limited to hour or so?

I do not play with the antenna change direction or anything.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Here is one of many sites about reception of distant signals: http://www.anarc.org/wtfda/

Here is a short quote from their site:

"TV and FM stations exist in a broad spectrum that ranges from 54 to 806MHz. Across this range, there's a variety of ways a signal can travel to distant, unintended receivers: reflection from ionized layers, meteors, aurorae, even lightning; refraction through the troposphere associated with the weather; waveguide modes; scatter. This makes the hobby even more intriguing.."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm watching ABC in HD again tonight.Channel numbers are 6-1 and 6-2

This is so weird.

I'm in Long Island New York and everybody tells me this is Philly I'm getting.

Very hard to believe I can get signal this clear (20-25 minutes or so no signal loss) from all the way from Philly.

Is there any chance ABC trying something in NY

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salacakli

The chance is zero. You are receiving WPVI-DT channel 64. Your receiver is using PSIP information to display it as channel 6-1.

The following is from the 100000watts web site:

WPVI-TV

channel 6

Network Service: "6ABC"

ID: Philadelphia PA

Owner: ABC

Co-owned: WPVI-DT

LMA: controls WWJZ

Web Site: http://www.wpvi.com/

Facilities: 1089' 74.1 kw

Transmitter: 40� 2' 39" N 75� 14' 26" W

Began Operation: Sep 13 1947, as WFIL-TV

=================================

WPVI-DT

channel 64

Network Service:

ID: Philadelphia PA

Owner: ABC

Co-owned: WPVI-TV

LMA: controls WWJZ

Web Site: http://www.wpvi.com/

Facilities: 1279' 500 kw

Transmitter: 40� 2' 33" N 75� 14' 33" W

Began Operation: Nov 1 1998 (ABC)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
similar to channel master 4228 but mine can be seperate to two different direction,so I set it up west and south west(For PBS) and I get CBS 2-1 Fox 5-1 and 5-2 PBS 21-1(All HD) and this 6-1 and 6-2 thing ones in a while?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

I'm watching ABC in HD again tonight.Channel numbers are 6-1 and 6-2

This is so weird.

I'm in Long Island New York and everybody tells me this is Philly I'm getting.

Very hard to believe I can get signal this clear (20-25 minutes or so no signal loss) from all the way from Philly.

Salacakli

WABC TV is not broadcasting anything digitally over the air. The signal you are receiving is indeed from Philly. Its not all that weird to receiving "distant signals" depending on what atmospheric conditions are like.

Last night I picked up channel 30 the NBC affiliate out of New Haven Connecticut and I am located in South Jersey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.