AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate an advice on the current (H)DTV situation in New York City area (I am in Jackson Heights / Queens if that matters).

Off-The-Air:

Of particular interest would be PBS type programming from any station, then, other channels

Dish network or Time Warner cable:

Both apparently offer Hi Def. Was wondering what would be the deciding factors to make the right choice between the two.

Equipment: a 1024x768 LCD projector (from an HTPC, would get a MyHD card or its successor) for video, Denon 4802 7.1 receiver for audio.

Thanks. Alec

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Post WTC, your off the air choices are mostly off the air. WCBS from the empire state building, thats about it. TWC in manhatten also have HBO, showtime, and NBC.

WNET-HD was carried by TWC, but its gone

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought there were two HD OTA stations (CBS one of them), plus the 480P (sometimes widescreen) DTV FOX. ???

RE: WNET-HD: do you mean WTC (World Trade Center) or TWC (Time Warner Cable)?

Are there any stations in NJ or upstate NY that we could get? What would be the antenna requirements?

Thanks

Alec

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alec
I thought there were two HD OTA stations (CBS one of them), plus the 480P (sometimes widescreen) DTV FOX. ???

Are there any stations in NJ or upstate NY that we could get? What would be the antenna requirements?
CBS is channel 56 from Empire.

Fox and UPN share channel 44 from Empire.

There is a low power PBS station from Montclair, NJ but you will not be able to receive them in Jackson Heights. The only other stations in the area are WLNY-DT on channel 57 from eastern Long Island and the channel 10 ABC station in New Haven. These are too far away from Jackson Heights for reliable reception.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am about 1 hour out of the city North. All my gear is showing up today and by the weekend I suppose i'll have an OTA antenna on the roof also so ill let you know what i can watch

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great. What antenna are you using? What was the rationale behind selecting that particular vendor / model? Do you use antenna rotator?

RadioShack covers all the basics (antennas / rotators / cables / masts / mountnig hardware wise), but I was wondering if there was something better i.e. a sturdier antenna, better coax cable, better rotator (better sealed / more precise / memory / etc.).

Thanks

Alec

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alec
That's great. What antenna are you using? What was the rationale behind selecting that particular vendor / model? Do you use antenna rotator?

RadioShack covers all the basics (antennas / rotators / cables / masts / mountnig hardware wise), but I was wondering if there was something better i.e. a sturdier antenna, better coax cable, better rotator (better sealed / more precise / memory / etc.).

Thanks

Alec
heh I wish i had some rational atm. I ordered a winegard 7084 antenna with no rotator and really no expertise on antennas (I'm just gonna clamp it to my chimney and aim it towards the city and sacrifice a goat I suppose, Maybe i'll get lucky).

In one week I've spent so much on all this gear that there is no way I can plug everything in and NOT get CSI for the wife (that was my main selling point) so I made a desperate move after finding out that the locals on Dss are not HD and ordered what looked to me a suitable antenna.

hopfully everything will work out and I can enjoy HDTV finally

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brett, I do appreciate a really helpful contribution from a fellow New Yorker. ;-)

Alec

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm in NYC and was able to get excellent reception pre-9/11 with a Silver Sensor antenna (real small and directional). I've heard that people have had great success with Radio Shack and Wineguard antennas. You might want to stop by Radio Shack and ask a few questions. Don't let them sell you on an HD antenna (all you need is UHF, unless you are trying to pull in one of the CT channels, channel 10, I believe). The best thing about RS, besides quality products, is their liberal return policy. You can try one of their smaller antennas (the double-bowtie); if that doesn't work, work up to the bigger ones and put it in the attic until you get something that works. Try searching the archives. I'm sure there have been suggestions about antennas in the past with people all around NYC. I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone in your neighborhood or at least within a mile or two that didn't have some experience with an antenna.

If all else fails, try goats-r-us.com. :D

-Brett

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.