AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all of the articles about the antenna on Governor's Island, Great Kills dump, etc. BUT when can we expect this antenna to go up and when might we receive reception ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd think local HDTV info and reception forum would be a better spot for this, but sadly, i don't think there is any new news :(

·
Registered
752 Posts
At the Hi-Fi expo last month in NYC, I went to a panel discussion on HDTV. The VP of Tech for CBS, Joe Flaherty said that it will be a long time. At least 3 years. He is probably the most knowledgable HDTV guy in America, and is actuall considered the father of HDTV in America.

He said that there are 200 proposals for Governors Island. A new HDTV tower is one of them. That is the only spot it could go up in Manhattan. Or else the interference with the Empire State Building would be terible.

Either way, by the time they get the go-ahead, and then build it, we are looking at 3 years at least.

Sorry for the bad news. He was very upset as well.

·
Registered
33,551 Posts
Wait. What happened to the plans already underway and near completion for the piggyback at the ESB. I thought this was a done deal and was scheduled for completion around Sept. If what your saying is true, this is a MAJOR MAJOR setback!!!! It also is totally contrary to what Gary Merson told us.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Joe Flaherty said that the Empire State Building could not handle all the channels. It did not have the power. Tey are already running them at less than full just to get CBS, FOX, and UPN.

CBS had been transmitting from the WTC but had kept a backup slot at the ESB for 30 years. After 9/11, they were able to utilize that slot on the ESB. He said it was not possible for any others though.

·
Registered
33,551 Posts
The news doesn't get much worse than this. I'm now VERY glad I put up that VHS antenna to pull in WTNH DT out of Connecticut. Ofcourse that does nothing for NBC DT. Maybe we can throw Fox's antenna off the roof and put up WNBCs!

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Hard to grasp why governments could work around the clock to remove every scrap from the WTC site, yet not urgently rebuild when it's possible. With some leadership a means could be found to route more power up the Empire State Building, or bang heads together to rapidly erect a new antenna tower. -- John

·
Registered
302 Posts
Damn, I'm not even able to get any signal outside of New York. I live on Long Island, and the only HD channel I get other than the ones from Dish Network is CBS. I was really hoping that they'd have the situation fixed sooner than 3 years.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think you guys are getting too depressed about the antenna thing and not realizing that within another year, cablevision will start their hdtv programming and have all of these stations (just like satellite) in hdtv. Their digital IO box is just waiting for it..has the firewire expansion port and they're talking about the copyright stuff being hammered out within 1.5 months... things are looking bright... it won't happen tomorrow, but absolutely guaranteed, you'll have it way before 3 years.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Cablevision?!! are you crazy? are they not still planing to use the Sony box that has no analog outputs? Sorry but I am not buying a CP loaded HD Tv just to be reamed by cablevision again. NEVER ,I'm sticking with Dish and hoping that some Conn. stations get on the air soon. Titan say a few should be up by Sep.? so I hope.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope Cablevision keeps the ball rolling. I talked to a Cablevision CSR about 2 months ago and he said that in my area (bridgewater nj) they will have their digital service available by September and HD available within a month of that. If this guy knew what he was talking about I don't nkow, but I am excited. My TV has firewire.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well if Empire is a bust the last thing you want to do is wait around for Cablevision. I think it is great that they have a f/o system but their backs are to the wall with other issues... like survival. HD on their system is not ready for prime time and may never be.

Our short term hope now turns to big brother to approve the dish/dtv merger and pipe DTV locals through that venue. Other than TW picking up Cablevision I don't see any other 12 month hope for us 5 million Long Islanders.

·
Registered
33,551 Posts
If anyone has seen their "digital cable" they'd know not to hold their breath for Cablevision. Seldom have I seen a worse picture than Cablevision's digital picture. Hell, it makes DirecTV's SD picture look like HD. As was already said, if they're still proceding with their plans for that Sony box with no HD analog outs, you know what they can do with it.

Here's another issue. Those guys in the city that have Time Warner, saw a significant hit in picture quality when their HD cable went from 8VSB to QAM. I'm pretty sure Cablevision will be using QAM. Gee, I can't wait.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ken,

I really think you should go to the Wiz and take a second look at Cablevision's digital picture. I have had the Cablevision digital service since the debut in October, and let me say it has gotten better and better. There were a lot technical glitches in the beginning, and they have come out with many software upgrades since that has fixed many video and audio problems.

I have a friend who has DirectTV and let me say Cablevision's digital picture blows it away. DirectTV has that gray and grainy picture, while Cablevision's digital picture has a sharper, brighter, more colorful picture. Personally, I wouldn't trade the Cablevision digital for DirectTV any day.

I also know for a fact that Cablevision is working on an HDTV package that will pass through their digital box. The biggest hangup is the method of which to get the signal from the box to the TV. The whole Firewire, DVI and/or component issue is the major hangup.

I really would take a second look at the Cablevision digital. They have lowered their price to compete with DirectTV, also. The top package is now $ 85 while DirectTV is getting $ 82 for a similar top of the line package. If you ever want HDTV from Cablevision you will have to subscribe to their digital package anyway. Those MSG, FSNY and HBO HD channels that are now 8 VSB from Cablevison will eventually go to QAM through the box.

Scott

·
Registered
539 Posts
As a LI native for almost 50yrs and a homeowner since 81', I've seen cablevision operate in a non-competitive environment...

The present and future however, is competitive. As someone who knows the difference between SD & HD, here is what they would have to do for me to switch from satellite to cable:

Keep pace with HD programming available on satellite.

Provide us all the HD locals

Then they can bundle all the digital SD crap into it. Welcome to a competitive environment, were we the consumer win this time around.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
John,

Just have patience. I know for a fact that Cablevision will have and HDTV package that should be competitive with Satellite. In fact, I think it will beat Satellite when you consider it will have FSNY-HD and MSG-HD in it which Satellite will never have. I also know that they are considering Discovery HD Theater. I just have not been told specifically when it will roll out.

Believe me we will see it at some point. I really think the major sticking point is how to get the signal from the box to the TV.

Scott

·
Registered
429 Posts
When would you guess Cablevision would extend their planned HD service to NJ? Last I heard from them, there were NO plans to do that.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott G
I really think the major sticking point is how to get the signal from the box to the TV.

Scott
Details, details ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.