AVS Forum banner

11421 - 11440 of 20942 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice /forum/post/18601219

Digital travels much worse than analog does so good luck dxing digital.

The travel loss is the same for digital and analog. The problem is that digital has a cliff-edge effect in reception, i.e. min signal or nothing, whereas analog is never lost, i.e. graceful fading. So digital reception with perfect video and sound is lost long before analog is unwatchable.

This problem is magnified for the US chosen modulation (8-VSB) and is not anywhere is severe in the rest of the world where COFDM modulation is the standard. Sorry for this mouthful of acronyms.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdigital09 /forum/post/18600321

if i can ask what town in LI you're in mike thxs

Wantagh, NY.

South of the Southern State Pkwy, North of Sunrise Highway

Just checked for 29.1 (WFME 66.1) and I can't get it. I'm surprised since the TV fool/Google earth program says I should get it with no problem at 39 miles away, and the signal is stronger than WNJB.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier /forum/post/18601461

Wantagh, NY.

Just checked for 29.1 (WFME 66.1) and I can't get it. I'm surprised since the TV fool/Google earth program says I should get it with no problem at 39 miles away, and the signal is stronger than WNJB.

Trust me you are not missing much. 90% of the time it is that old geezer babeling that the world is going to end next year.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice /forum/post/18601765

Trust me you are not missing much. 90% of the time it is that old geezer babeling that the world is going to end next year.

Oh, ok. Now I remember. It was some old guy sitting in a chair rambling about something. I think I did get this channel when I first hooked up the antenna outside. But after I hooked up the 2 way splitter, it was gone.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I will try a amp first and if that don't improve anything the I will just going to see if I can repoint the RCA751.

·
Banned
769 Posts

Quote:
I will try a amp first and if that don't improve anything the I will just going to see if I can repoint the RCA751.

reddice may i suggest you get larger antenna, like a winegard hd 7696p http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku= adding a preamp/amp will not help. you have multipath problems your antenna rca751 is not cut out for handling this problem if you really want vhf high get ya1713 from solidsignal is about $40 it will get that weak channel, you really want.

good luck buddy

·
Banned
769 Posts

Quote:
Wantagh, NY.

mike, your close bellmore, ok I know somewhat the area, you should get LI stations pretty good then, I receive wbab from babylon on my fm tuner, great station. have you tried attachin a preamp to your antenna could help gainin more with splitter your using.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTVintermods /forum/post/18601292

The travel loss is the same for digital and analog. The problem is that digital has a cliff-edge effect in reception, i.e. min signal or nothing, whereas analog is never lost, i.e. graceful fading. So digital reception with perfect video and sound is lost long before analog is unwatchable.

This problem is magnified for the US chosen modulation (8-VSB) and is not anywhere is severe in the rest of the world where COFDM modulation is the standard. Sorry for this mouthful of acronyms.

I thought it was the other way around - COFDM was worse over long distances than 8VSB, whereas 8VSB was worse in urban situations than COFDM due to multipath.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice /forum/post/18602198

If your antenna is pointing towards WLIW 21, of course you won't get 13 reliably.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ladies, get your shopping cart ready, as you may know the HSN of Analog ch.60 is DTV 39wNYN-5, unfortunately only pixelated in 20-30 down signal level, maybe they are trying to discover selves.

39WNYN- 1,2,3,4, the same infomercials on all 4subs, probably spanish -minus 4hrs differential, West Coast maybe Hawaian time?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloEuro /forum/post/18604371

Ladies, get your shopping cart ready, as you may know the HSN of Analog ch.60 is DTV 39wNYN-5, unfortunately only pixelated in 20-30 down signal level, maybe they are trying to discover selves.

39WNYN- 1,2,3,4, the same infomercials on all 4subs, probably spanish -minus 4hrs differential, West Coast maybe Hawaian time?

As I stated days ago. 39.5 comes in at 75 signal for us. Sometimes it goes out and comes back. Weak at best. But good enough for us to get in most of the time.

Was hoping the other subs would be better stuff. Guess not

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice /forum/post/18601765

You forgot his wife does half the babbling. Due to their marriage.

In a divorce she would get half babbling rights. lol

Yes no one misses 29.1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Waste of bandwidth. imo

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Unless HSN is in HD then I don't care about it on channel 39.

As I will explain 13 signal can go like this: 65 68 54 67 51 66 48 63 then when it gets bad 45 18 59 44 then it pixelated bad. I am going to get a bigger pole on the mask. Any good tall poles that connect to masks that dishes and antennas use.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess I'm not getting through, but reddice, I believe you need to MOVE your antenna either higher or lower to begin with to see if 13 will pop in. Next, if you can, move the mounting location to somewhere else. If you've got hot and cold spots created by multipath (as described at Ken Nist's site), then rotating the antenna or swapping out will do no good.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj2001 /forum/post/18604048

I thought it was the other way around - COFDM was worse over long distances than 8VSB, whereas 8VSB was worse in urban situations than COFDM due to multipath.

COFDM has a higher theoretical threshold SNR than 8-VSB (US Std). The difference is about 3dB. In the world of NO multipath, 8-VSB would reach further, by about 3-4 km. However, in the real world there is no such thing as no multipath (except at the FCC).

COFDM takes advantage of most multipath and adds it coherently with the primary signal thus improving the SNR! In contrast, 8-VSB requires a complex equalizer at the Rx to process the multipath. At best, the equalizer attenuates the multipath and that process creates new noise. Thus the original SNR (at the TX) always deteriorates due to multipath.

The upshot of this is that the reliable reception of 8-VSB does not match the ideal model of the FCC as far as max range and is not as stable within the receivable range. That is well known.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
As I said before I get 13. It can come in good one hour and then terrible the next. Explain why it does that as 11 & 31 does the same thing. All the other channels don't do that as those weak channels they keep screwing around with the power levels. If they would just run full power for those who don't have a clear view of site and yes the strong channels still stay strong.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
So what makes you think they're screwing with the power levels? Out here 13 has been very stable. Weak, but stable. I lock and receive it with maybe 1 dropout per week at most.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Weak but stable but still weak. I know 13 has bad noise and multipath which makes a weak signal unstable. If they boosted there power than all of that will go away.

When I go on the computer I will be posting some pics of my antenna setup and the los that I have. As I said my uncle put up the antenna and did a sloppy job. Did not mount it where I wanted it, broke the transformer that came with it by twisting the coax and leads too much and put the antenna a little on a slant. It mostly works good except for those probmatic channels.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice /forum/post/18607824

Weak but stable but still weak.

But I live 50 miles away from the ESB... everything is weak here pretty much. But Thirteen isn't actually that bad. I can receive them here with an antenna 10ft off the ground which I can only do with a few stations.

Quote:
I know 13 has bad noise and multipath which makes a weak signal unstable. If they boosted there power than all of that will go away.

13 doesn't have noise and multipath. YOU have noise and multipath in your location. Thirteen boosting power won't necessarily make that go away. You live in an urban environment. Multipath and high noise pretty much goes with the territory.

Either you get a more directional antenna like we've been telling you to, or get the channel from a subscription service. That will be the only things that cure your problem.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I could hook my line from my cable modem and get all the local stations in hd but then I won't be able to get online.

I also meant to say noise & multipath for me. Typing this on the touch screen so I make typos. Channel 7 must not be affected because they broadcast at the lower 174 MHz where there is less interfence from radio waves. Btw should I try a fm trap. Antyome know of any.

11421 - 11440 of 20942 Posts