AVS Forum banner

4981 - 5000 of 26753 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatus /forum/post/0


I have a new HDTV set (a 1080p model) coming next week and have an appointment with TWCNYC to have it outfitted with both a CC and a 8300HD DVR. I'll scrap the CC if it turns out that it doesn't deliver better PQ.

hey i actually made an appt to do the same, but had to cancel caues i couldnt get off of work. Did you have to talk to 5 people before they agreed to do it??> I had to argue with everybody, they kept teling me i cant have both, theres no reason for it, so i said what the hell is the diffence your making money off of both why do you care if i want to waste my money, finally they gave in. But they were going to charge me $35 for installation, plus they can only come during the day during the week, so i dont have any time to take off work now to get it installed. Let us know how diff. the quality is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdothat88 /forum/post/0


Did you have to talk to 5 people before they agreed to do

No. The CSR told me "you don't need a cable card if you have a DVR." I replied that I understand that but want to have both. That ended the discussion. Whether the technician actually shows up with both is another matter. My original appointment, which I had to change, was for 6-9 PM today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I had originally scheduled to have a CC installed along with the DVR but changed my mind only because of the M-F appt window and the $35 charge.


Initially when I requested both, I too heard the same "You don't need a CC if you have a DVR". My response was that I wished to have both so I can record 2 live shows and watch a 3rd at the same time. End of discussion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth /forum/post/0


I wished to have both so I can record 2 live shows and watch a 3rd at the same time..



I never considered the characteristics of a cable card and why people want both a CC and the 8300 DVR. Thanks for elaborating. This sounds like a smart idea.


Aside from the 35 bucks for the installation fee, are there additional monthly charges for the cable card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatus /forum/post/0


No. The CSR told me "you don't need a cable card if you have a DVR." I replied that I understand that but want to have both. That ended the discussion. Whether the technician actually shows up with both is another matter. My original appointment, which I had to change, was for 6-9 PM today.

Looking fwd to the update on the install and whether you got the CC and the HD DVR.


What 1080p set did you pick up? I love AVSForum. Where else can you be happy for and live vicariously through people you really don't know! Congrat's on the purchase and enjoy!


Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD /forum/post/0


are there additional monthly charges for the cable card?

I think I was quoted 1.95/month for the CC. Maybe someone who actually has one can verify that figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
thanks for your continued support of time warner cable. we are doing what we can to add HD and meet other customer needs that eat up bandwidth. still, we are close to having deals for UPN, ESPN 2, Universal, Starz, Cinemax and TMC, We already have a deal with In Demand so i don't know why it's not on in NYC, if that's true.


i think it realisitic to anticipate that these deals will be done in the next few months and be added to the system in early '06.


Dressler, Fred



We seem to be geting some real responses now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Question: just picked up a Pioneer 3510HD and thought it would have firewire but doesn't. Only USB. What's the point of the USB?? Are there any models with firewire??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV /forum/post/0


thanks for your continued support of time warner cable. we are doing what we can to add HD and meet other customer needs that eat up bandwidth. still, we are close to having deals for UPN, ESPN 2, Universal, Starz, Cinemax and TMC, We already have a deal with In Demand so i don't know why it's not on in NYC, if that's true.


i think it realisitic to anticipate that these deals will be done in the next few months and be added to the system in early '06.


Dressler, Fred



We seem to be geting some real responses now!

i'm not happy that MSG or FSNY weren't on that list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue /forum/post/0


i'm not happy that MSG or FSNY weren't on that list.

Bob Watson told me MSG or FSNY are in negotiations, he's in charge of the NYC and NJ division, Fred Dressler is an executive from corporate. He probably didn't mention MSG and FSNY because they only apply to NY metro area.


Email them, they just might respond. It's better than talking to CSR.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/corpo...anagement.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV /forum/post/0


thanks for your continued support of time warner cable. we are doing what we can to add HD and meet other customer needs that eat up bandwidth. still, we are close to having deals for UPN, ESPN 2, Universal, Starz, Cinemax and TMC, We already have a deal with In Demand so i don't know why it's not on in NYC, if that's true.


i think it realisitic to anticipate that these deals will be done in the next few months and be added to the system in early '06.


Dressler, Fred



We seem to be geting some real responses now!

AndyHDTV, thanks for the information. Would it be possible to give us the address to email the powers at be? The link you provided is just a listing of the executives.

I always get the same canned response from my local CSRs.

Thanks again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/0


Question: just picked up a Pioneer 3510HD and thought it would have firewire but doesn't. Only USB. What's the point of the USB?? Are there any models with firewire??

USB is usually slow speed 1.0, not 2.0, for possible future expansion services with Keyboard/Mouse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,260 Posts
OT question, if i buy my own cable modem will my monthly bill go down? I'm currently on the DBest package. I see circuit city has a Motorola SB5120 for $35. I currently have a several year old Toshiba PCX2200. Any chance a newer box would provide better speeds?


"Take advantage of DOCSIS 2.0 technology for up to three times greater upstream capabilities than DOCSIS 1.1." I'm not even sure what DOCSIS is...or what my Toshiba box has.

Motorola SB5120
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue /forum/post/0


good luck GW. hopefully it goes well.

it went as well as could be expected, the 8300HD seems to work as advertised - I havent had time to record anything, but that seems easy enough (they didnt leave a book, but I found the online PDF version).


for the staten island members - have you been experiencing severe On Demand programming issues? for the past three days it's been absolutely hell trying to watch anything on HBO OD - I keep getting a blank screen, then a message to call the office for support - which I call, and I get told it's a "staten island wide problem" and that "theyre working on getting it fixed shortly". Theyve sent refresh signals but nothing has seemed to work thus far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue /forum/post/0


OT question, if i buy my own cable modem will my monthly bill go down? I'm currently on the DBest package. I see circuit city has a Motorola SB5120 for $35. I currently have a several year old Toshiba PCX2200. Any chance a newer box would provide better speeds?


"Take advantage of DOCSIS 2.0 technology for up to three times greater upstream capabilities than DOCSIS 1.1." I'm not even sure what DOCSIS is...or what my Toshiba box has.

Motorola SB5120

I dont know if youll get faster speeds, I have a PCX1100 and using speed tests & tweak tools found on broadbandreports.com, I'm almost always near the speed cap (currently 5 megabit from TWC). As for saving $$, I see it as more of a problem should tech issues arise - example, I'm sure if youre signal cuts out they'll be quick to blame the modem since it's not theirs, regardless if the modem is fine or not - nor will they service it for the same reason, which will leave you to trubleshoot it. I prefer to use their equipment, this way if theres a problem the onus is on them to fix it from all angles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatweed /forum/post/0


it went as well as could be expected, the 8300HD seems to work as advertised - I havent had time to record anything, but that seems easy enough (they didnt leave a book, but I found the online PDF version).

If the pdf you found is a Scientific Atlanta item, then it is probably for the SARA version of the product, and you (TWCNYC) have the Passport version. Most of what it says should be ignored.


-barry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
Just Type the "first name", then a "." then their "last name" and finally "@twcable.com"


EX : [email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatweed /forum/post/0



for the staten island members - have you been experiencing severe On Demand programming issues? for the past three days it's been absolutely hell trying to watch anything on HBO OD - I keep getting a blank screen, then a message to call the office for support - which I call, and I get told it's a "staten island wide problem" and that "theyre working on getting it fixed shortly". Theyve sent refresh signals but nothing has seemed to work thus far.


I have been having the same problems with on demand here in staten island. I havent been able to watch anything for the last few days. Good to know, that it isnt just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyHDTV /forum/post/0


thanks for your continued support of time warner cable. we are doing what we can to add HD and meet other customer needs that eat up bandwidth. still, we are close to having deals for UPN, ESPN 2, Universal, Starz, Cinemax and TMC, We already have a deal with In Demand so i don't know why it's not on in NYC, if that's true.


i think it realisitic to anticipate that these deals will be done in the next few months and be added to the system in early '06.


Dressler, Fred



We seem to be geting some real responses now!

maybe im just always the skeptic, but i would think an exective at time warner would use a little better punctuation. Not sure he would say "other customer needs that eat up bandwidth" either.
 
4981 - 5000 of 26753 Posts
Top