AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in the midtown east area in New York City next week. Do any of you know of any stores that might have some of the popular projectors on display? I've been reading this forum for over a month, and based on what I've heard, I'm looking at the Infocus 5700, 7200, JVC DLA projector, and maybe the new BenQ, among others. I have yet to see these projectors in action and would love to have a personal experience before shelling out $5K plus. Any ideas of displays in the New York City around Manhattan would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have not seen the projectors you listed either but I can tell you where to see a few other popular models. You can see the Dwin TV3 at Stereo Exchange in SOHO; the Runco 710 and 1000 at Sound by Singer in Union Square; and the Marantz 12S2, Runco 1000, and I believe the Sharp 10000 at Harvey Electronics at their location on 45th.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check with Lyric Hi-Fi. Not sure of location, but look them up - great guys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Harveys has a 2 projectors on display on the lower level they have marantz and another i forgot which and on the upper level i think they have another not sure though. THey have very nice demo rooms. Its on 45th or 46th i forgot witch between 5th and 6th

Stereo exchange is a good place too. There demos aren't as great but they have quiet a few on display.

Oh yeah and don't buy anything at either of those places so over priced its not even funny.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Quoting O and A ,"Oh yeah and don't buy anything at either of those places so over priced its not even funny".

____________________________________________________________ _________

O and A, I don't think that's a fair statement. I agree that most of the stores mentioned can be very overpriced, especially Harvey's, but if you are aware of competing prices Stereo Exchange will work with you as much as they can on pricing. Not only did they negotiate fair prices with me on more than a few occasions, they managed to handle a service repair in world record time. I had a blown tweeter. I thought it was necessary to send it to the manufacturer overseas. I dropped off the speaker and took about twenty five minutes to look around. I started to leave, and my speaker was still sitting right where I'd left it, except to my surprise, the repair was done. My cost.. $6. Now THAT"S service, and they smiled as well! That can't be duplicated by an e-tailor.

I don't think it's ethical to use the costly showrooms of a dealer who has invested in rent, stock, insurance, dealerships, sales training, etc. with absolutely no intention of ever buying there. Please don't think I'm thrilled with any of the NY A/V retailers, I'm not. It's just a bit much to have a member suggest blatantly using a store's resources without at least advising people to make a fair offer if they want to buy something. If the stores can't compete by either matching prices or getting close and offering superior service, they deserve to lose a sale.

Great to see a fellow New Yorker posting, I've been a member at Audiogon under:BMPNYC for over 5 years now and I'm always jazzed to come across neighbors.

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Hey Martin,

You STILL haven't bought a PJ yet? ;)

TM

PS - I agree with you totally about the dealers. The high end shops are a mixed bag and are poor overall IMO, but I think you're right, especially about Stereo Exchange. Some of the folks there really do know what they're talking about, and they absolutely will work with you on price.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
WextTex, hope you enjoy the visit.

Good to hear from you Anthony. I've been in my new apartment for only three months now, and haven't figured out the type of configuration I'd prefer.The upcoming Sony HS20 is a strong contender in my first projector sweepstakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.