AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking in this forum for several months, trying to determine the best buy for my first projector. After recently upgrading my audio system to full DTS surround and powered sub, my 32" Sony TV was looking like the weak link. I spent evenings reading the last month or so of forum messages: LCD, DLP, contrast ratios, rainbows, not to mention price... a lot to consider.

Last week I took the plunge and ordered the Sanyo PLV-Z1. It was due in on Thursday, and I invited a group of friends over Friday night for a screening of "The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition" - so I was commited. Everything came together and for the first time, I felt as though I was able to capture something of the theater experience in my home. Those who attended were not aware of current projector technology and were simply blown away.

I am very impressed with the Z1, and find it hard to fault it in any respect, considering the price. Yes, you can see the screen door if you sit too close and/or look for it - but it ceased to be an issue for me almost immediately. It's more than bright enough since I never intend to watch movies during the day. The colors are great using the default cinema settings. The detail in the dark settings (Mines of Moria) were better than I expected them to be.

The only negative thing I noticed was the feeling that I was loosing some detail when dark objects were present in an otherwise bright background. I'm guessing that this is the result of LCD's lower contrast ratio. I also wish the projectors throw distance was longer since it seems as though the optimum position for the projector is pretty much in your lap. Anyone know if it's possible to fit the Z1 with a lens to increase the distance?

For reference, I am using a 48" Da-Lite white screen (already had this, which is why it's so small) and the component connection from a non-progressive scan DVD player.

So thanks everyone for all the information. This is a great forum and I couldn't be happier with the result.

-Jamie Robertson

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Jamie!

I also got this sweet little Z1. :D

I have a 2m wide widescreen screen and the Z1 is about 3.3m from the screen... I sit at 4m. I give it true Progressive Scan signal and that is the way to go. S-Video was ok when I first hooked it up but after seeing it with a true PS signal. WOW again! :D

48" , ah come on! You can easily go 80-90" with NO screendoor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [VK] Thor
Hi Jamie!

I also got this sweet little Z1. :D

I have a 2m wide widescreen screen and the Z1 is about 3.3m from the screen... I sit at 4m. I give it true Progressive Scan signal and that is the way to go. S-Video was ok when I first hooked it up but after seeing it with a true PS signal. WOW again! :D

48" , ah come on! You can easily go 80-90" with NO screendoor.
I'm not so impressed by progressive scan, i've seen the Philips 963SA with DCDi last sunday on my Z1 and ok it's nice but S/Video is still very acceptable !

I plan to buy a 963SA progressive DVDplayer but I wait for some fixes, there's too much trouble with it, it's so new !

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Quote:
i've seen the Philips 963SA with DCDi last sunday on my Z1 and ok it's nice but S/Video is still very acceptable !
Sounds like the s-video connection on the Z1 is pretty good then. I haven't tried that connection out yet myself but will when I get the pj ceiling mounted.

The diff between s-vid and component on the ae100 was gigantic. I think it is good news for many if the diff is not HUGE on the z1 because in reality, it shouldn't be huge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too did my share of lurking. Glad to see more and more positive comments on the Z1. Based on these, I ordered my Z1 on Friday and hope to be watching it tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks to all for the good word. I did it Terry!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hmm. When I used the HTPC which gives a true progressive signal at 960x540 59Hz and also changed "Total Dots" on the PJ til' digital test pattern was absolutely crystal sharp and steady as a rock I saw a HUGE different compared to S-Video.

1. True Progressive Scan (Computer VGA)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Add another two Edmonton people to the Z1 owners group as I have one and also have a friend that has one also.

Have a time setup on Thursday to take a look at the PLV70 to see if it is worth the bucks. Anyone compare them in the same room yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dragged a sheet of drywall up from my basement that the former owners of my home left behind for a temporary screen. Awesome! DirecTV with Tivo is watchable if you have a good enough screen, Friday Night Fights last week looked very nice. DVDs are fantastic, just watched Spider-Man.

This is all with either S-Video, or composite, until I get the materials to build Canare component cables.

My screen plans are to build a canvas primed with Gesso, two or three coats, with a light sanding in between coats.

Z1 is great for the money!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.