AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time projector owner! I always DREAMED of having one, but price was always prohibitive. I really like the look of my Z1's 92" wide picture, although it is only being shown on a white bedsheet at the time. I noticed what people say about the blacks on this projector - even with contrast and brightness at their lowest settings, the full black screen glows a dark gray :(. My projector seems like it is perfect except for one thing, there is a single blue pixel stuck ON in the upper left corner area which is easy to see against a dark area. I COULD live with this, but I prefer not to. I haven't had much time to look at the projector since I got it last wednesday and projectorpeople.com have a 7 day (under 4 bulb hours) no hassle return policy. I would like to get another sample to se if it has no pixels stuck ON. Seems to me that pixels stuck OFF would be harder to see since all the other pixels around it would be on, obscuring the dead pixel, but with a pixel stuck ON in a dark area, your eye is drawn to it :(. I'd like projectorpeople.com to open and examine another Z1 for any stuck ON pixels before shipping it to me, but I'm not sure if they will. My Z1 WAS opened prior to my receiving it as it has a projectorpeople.com sticker on it. I assume they maybe test the projectors against DOA before shipping. The problem is that if they hold strictly to their 7 day return policy, I won't have time to personally examine another Z1 while holding onto my first one. I'd hate to return the first only to receive a second that is worse.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, how do I check the lamp clock? Should I RTFM? :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Another thead confirms the 30-second trick. And it does work.

As for stuck pixels vs. dead ones, yes stuck are much, much worse.

Mark

·
Registered
857 Posts
return in it , and tell them there is a dead pixel ..........

I told you , you would not be happy with those PJ that you previously wanted to buy .

·
Registered
132 Posts
return it and get a new one. a dead/stuck pixel will annoy you everytime you fire it up and your guests will ask "what's that?" every time they see it. You paid good money for you pj, you should demand no dead pixels.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Get an RMA number, and send the projector back for an exchange. I have to believe they would be willing to pre-check the new unit for you. It seems like it would be in their best interest to do so.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Porjectorpeople.com said that they would ship a projector with a single dead pixel even if they checked it. I decided to keep it. The blue pixel is quite small and most people would never notice it. If this projector had REALLY black blacks, instead of dark gray, it would probably be easier to see. I guess 1 bad pixel out of 524,416 isn't too bad. I've got 3 years of completely free warranty service if I ever get to the point of not being able to stand it anymore. The salesperson suggested yellow highlighter or tape on the spot the blue pixel is shining onto, which I also read on this forum somewhere, to greatly diminish the visibility of the blue dot.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, projectorpeople.com just called. They said they want me to be happy and asked me to send the Z1 to Sanyo. They said they spoke w/ Sanyo, who said they won't send it back to me unless it is completely fixed. Thanks projectorpeople.com!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.