AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Z1 Tweak

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  CMRA 
#1 ·
Any Z1 owners want less SDE from their Z1? I was reading on this forum where a member opted for a Panny L300u over the Z1 because it had a much less visable SDE. Another member wrote that the SDE on the Panny was superior but he could never get a sharp picture. Panny owners pay a real premium for this feature.

Now the tweak. Go into your settings menu, toggle down to 'sharpness', adjust it to 'zero'. Compare. ( I believe the default setting is "8" or half way).

Do you also notice much less SDE? If so, think of this as a $600 perk-the cost difference of the two units. Please post your findings.

#2 ·
This was one of the things I changed when I got the projector a few weeks back (using Avia calibration disk). Not sure if I see less SDE however, the default sharpness setting is equivalent to watching a DVD with too much edge enhancement. Picture is much improved with it set to zero.

Ed

#3 ·
Perhaps I'm getting 'noise' confused with SDE. On my setup the the image becomes smoother from my normal viewing distance. It certainly has the appearence of less SDE as those gridlines disappear. When playing Monsters Inc. I had to really work at detecting them even when I moved closer to the screen. I can't call it "SmoothVision". But it is smoother vision.

#5 ·
I moved mine from 8 to 4 then watched Before and After on HBO HDTV. Not the best choice as it was a drama without any bright scenes, but so far it does look like it minimized SDE. I tried 0 but it looked way too soft.

#6 ·
Using a combo method of adjusting the sharpness to "0" and slightly defocusing the lens I was able to get within 3 feet of my screen before the SDE became noticible. I was however viewing HBO-HDtv at the time. From a distance it was soooo filmlike. Maybe even CRT owners would approve. Simply a feast for the eyes.

#8 ·
CMRA,

If you have a test disc, you can actually see if normal mode is indeed edge enchancement.

I saw the z1 and x1 side by side, It appeared like the sharp had too much edge enchancement. But i did not see the test patterns to confirm it.

James

#9 ·
Using the sharpness pattern on AVIA, even with sharpness set to zero there still seems to be some EE or noise visible. I go back and forth on where to set it with mine, but for right now I'm with CMRA on keeping it at zero.

By the way, CMRA, if you are really concerned with screendoor, I suggest you try a ND 2x filter, as was the subject of a very long thread on here. It is used to improve black levels, but the most noticable change for me was an elimination of screendoor (other users said this didn't happen on their setups, so take my experience with a grain of salt.) There is a trade-off in that you lose some brightness/punch in the picture however, but it may be worth it.

#10 ·
Have had my Z1 for 2 days now. Still trying to figure this thing out. I did mess with the Sharpness and found that 0 does make SDE a little less obvious but I'm still projecting on the wall. Gotta get the screen up soon or I'm going to have to play with this projector all over again.

Do any of you use BNR to improve picture quality? Do you see it make much of a difference?

#11 ·
What is BNR?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pcaulfie
Have had my Z1 for 2 days nowGotta get the screen up soon or I'm going to have to play with this projector all over again.

I too have a Z1. It's a good policy to log your settings each time you make a change and keep for future reference. Best wishes.

#14 ·
I tried the "0" sharpness last night and could honestly not tell a difference between it and slighly defocussing my projector. I tried it for DVD and HD. I prefered the defocuss over the "0" sharpness simply because the text and graphics on Monday night football looked crisper and more realistic.

Honestly for 11 C-Bills, this projector is amazing in HD on a 110" screen. I have to pinch myself periodically to remind myself what a cheap and fantastic system this really is.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Gray Davis

By the way, CMRA, if you are really concerned with screendoor, I suggest you try a ND 2x filter, as was the subject of a very long thread on here. It is used to improve black levels, but the most noticable change for me was an elimination of screendoor (other users said this didn't happen on their setups, so take my experience with a grain of salt.) There is a trade-off in that you lose some brightness/punch in the picture however, but it may be worth it.
It would appear ND filters have similar properties of the 'grey' screen approach. Gray, hope you had a chance to see all my screenshots on the various threads. I believe ME offers the best solution to date as the SDE is reduced, contrast and blacks are enhanced, whites remain white, and colors retain their 'punchy' appearance. You be the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.