Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I just bought an open-box Zenith 520 receiver in Texas, to replace my RCA DTC-100 for DirecTV and over-the-air use. After reading the manual on the plane ride home and now playing with it for a couple of hours, I have these questions:

-Can I turn off OTA 'channel re-mapping'?

-Can I change HD output modes from the remote control? (I am hoping, by some method other than going several layers into a menu.)

-Can I use the second ("cable") input but in 'antenna' mode? (Right now, it can receive the second antenna's channels but they are all numbered wrong, as 'cable' channels.)

-Is there a way to have it tune digital channels from both inputs, with or without proper channel numbering?

-When the 'info' page is displayed, and you can change the audio from mono to stereo with the 'right-arrow' key, will/should I also be able to select SAP audio that way, or only by using the menus?

Thank you for any help you can provide. So far, this receiver is picking up weak digital signals much better than the DTC-100 or my HiPix. Also, I love the 'over the air guide information provided by DirecTV'. That worked even without an access card in the receiver!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV

-Can I turn off OTA 'channel re-mapping'?

Channel re-mapping to Virtual Channel assignments is a product of broadcaster's PSIP data. It cannot be "turned off".

Quote:
-Can I change HD output modes from the remote control?
No. It must be done at the front of the unit if you wish to change output format.

Quote:
-Can I use the second ("cable") input but in 'antenna' mode? (Right now, it can receive the second antenna's channels but they are all numbered wrong, as 'cable' channels.)
When it says "Cable" it is naming the input.

Quote:
-Is there a way to have it tune digital channels from both inputs, with or without proper channel numbering?
DTV input is set to either OTA or Cable.

Quote:
-When the 'info' page is displayed, and you can change the audio from mono to stereo with the 'right-arrow' key, will/should I also be able to select SAP audio that way, or only by using the menus?
I cannot remember off-hand, I will have to wait until I get back to work.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JFerg-

Thank you for your quick response. I have had other DTV devices that could avoid the channel re-numbering (a 'feature' that I absolutely despise!). The 520's feature that allows program listings from two areas is an excellent one-I would like to be able to use it with two separate antennas (pointed in two directions). This would require that both inputs be available for 'antenna' tuning, analog as well as digital. Maybe this would be possible with a firmware upgrade-does anyone else want this feature?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi Jferg,

Quote:
-Can I change HD output modes from the remote control?
Quote:
No. It must be done at the front of the unit if you wish to change output format
Is there perhaps an rs232 code that allows this?

Also, is there any software workaround for the hard button DVI swtch? Perhaps through some service rs232 code?

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi ChrisW6ATV,

Quote:
The 520's feature that allows program listings from two areas is an excellent one-I would like to be able to use it with two separate antennas (pointed in two directions). This would require that both inputs be available for 'antenna' tuning, analog as well as digital. Maybe this would be possible with a firmware upgrade-does anyone else want this feature?
Yes

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Srgtfury
Hi Jferg,

Is there perhaps an rs232 code that allows this?

Also, is there any software workaround for the hard button DVI swtch? Perhaps through some service rs232 code?

Thank you very much

Fury

Hi ChrisW6ATV,

Yes

Thank you very much

Fury
I would like to know the answers to these questions also.

Chris

·
Registered
858 Posts
Just hate to answer my own post-at least one of the questions.

I did find the rs 232 protocol for the HD200, which, is probably the same for the HD520. Strings listed include:1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i and HD toggle.

Now to try a these out in my Crestron system...

Thank you very much

Fury

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The Sony HD200 has a format switch on the remote IIRC. That's the one thing I wish the Zenith had, at least while I'm trying to compare 720P to 1080i.

Having to go the box to switch output resolution and then go back to the couch while trying to compare the picture is kind of a pain...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... I wonder if the Sony remote control (or its codes) would work on the Zenith? I see three files for the HDD200 on Remote Central for the Pronto. Maybe one has the 'format' button included. It cannot hurt to try.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried using the Sony Remote or a pronto (or something similiar) on the Zenith box yet?

Chris

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Sony and Zenith Remotes are NOT the same codes. These boxes are a year old now, everything has probably been tried already.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Nope, I tried it at Soundtrack and they aren't compatible in the least. I was going to go in and "learn" the format button from the Sony on my remote, but it wasn't worth doing as they're not compatible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got the Zenith 520 today. I'm hoping someone has solved my remote control issue.

I have a Mits 65907 TV. The Mits remote has an Input button that allows me to cycle through the various devices (Sat Rec, DVD, VCR, Game, etc).

I've programmed the Zenith remote to see the Mits, change the volume, and access the menu using the Zenith Code 124.

My question, is there a way to cycle through the Mits inputs using the Zenith remote.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use a Marantz RC9200 (a souped-up Pronto) for my 520 and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Anyone have any issues with the image quality from the 520 from non HD material?

The non HD DTV material seems a little more fuzzy via DVI than my old Sony A4 via S-video.

Any comments?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do not have DVI ability, but my 520's SD video looks neither better nor worse than previous devices (that is, quite good from OTA and really bad from DirecTV on a 70" display).

How many people named Chris will post in this discussion? :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to enter a digital OTA channel directly? In other words digital channel 38 is my ABC channel 4, but I want to enter "38" not channel "4-1".

Tom

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TAB
Does anyone know if it is possible to enter a digital OTA channel directly? In other words digital channel 38 is my ABC channel 4, but I want to enter "38" not channel "4-1".

Tom
No. The simpliest reason is because, many times that Ch 38 is more than one "channel". If you were able to simply key in 38, would it go to 4-1 or 4-2 or 4-3? ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.