AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw one at the NY show: loved this part: does it still have the switch on the back for resolution changes? ANS> no. its on the front. and it is a toggle for all the four settings, and no, discrete ir codes for each setting aren't available, only for the toggle function.

·
Registered
908 Posts
jlm,

You can toggle through from the remote can't you? Please say yes.

Tom

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes

·
Registered
711 Posts
Unbelievable that it doesn't have discrete codes for the format. The elevator clearly doesn't go up to the top floor at LG Electronics.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Also nobody knew whether it had the ability to be controlled by Directv for downconversion of HDTV sources. I Wonder? Bill

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
does it have a "native" mode

so i can watch CBS in 1080i (as intended) and abc in 720p( as intended) without having to flip any switches

will it output thru NTSC outputs simultaneaous with component in 480P/720P/1080I modes?

did it have coax digital out, or optical only?

·
Registered
360 Posts
billmich : according to Cousin's Video site, it has Native Pass-thru Modes

-- Sounds what your referring to .. if so, very cool..

anyone know if the DVI out is HDCP for sure?? or just DVI??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw the box yesterday and the slot in the back says "DVI." The box was not hooked up. The expected price is $699 and it should ship in July per Zenith. I also spoke to Samsung. They said their box should be about $600 and the one they were showing (not hooked up) is not the final model. They said it needed to be approved by DirecTV and that could take a while.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Puff,

Where did you see the new Zenith? Was it operating? Were you able to draw any comparisons with the DTV1080?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
Tom,

The new Zenith was at the Home Theater show at the Hilton in N.Y. I saw the unit too at the Zenith exhibit but it wasn't connected. It's alot smaller than the DTV1080.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Ken,

Thanks. It probably was just a shell! I'm anxious, as many are, to see how it stacks up to the DTV1080. I've already got my order in regardless.

Tom

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If I keep all my HD at 1080i, is the "switch on back" a non-issue and is the new Zenith any better for me than the current one?

I ask because DTV is replacing my fried non-HD sony DSS system, and I'm told by the repair tech that its not difficult to convince them to upgrade me to an HD unit if I agree to subscribe to HD service.

I do, however, have to keep my contract for another year, and am not sure I want to wait for the new boxes while paying for service until they come out. I'll be paying even if I have no box at all until then.

I've read MANY posts on the Zenith vs other boxes issue, and would accept all 1080i if it means I save hundreds of dollars on an HD system.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Does "native pass through" (see the Zenith pdf file referenced above) mean if it sees 1080, it outputs 1080...and if it sees 720p it outputs 720p? Doesn't this eliminate the "switch on back" hassle for all intents and purposes?

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,198 Posts
Jeff: I believe you're reading things correctly with the exception of the fact the switch is still needed for HDTV display devices that cannot accept 720p and/or 480p such as my projector that can only accept 480i or 1080i. Also, you need to select 480i vs. pass through if you want to record to VCR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.