·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Anthem AVM 60
I was waiting for you to say an Emotiva processor :rolleyes:

Have you tried bypassing the amp as an experiment to see if the two don't like each other?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
All I can tell you is that with 10-bit content viewed at 10-bit 444, no banding is present on the output.

This can be objectively tested with colour step patterns - the Mehanik test suite is free and probably easiest to use.

With 10-bit content (dependent on mastering) the box will present chroma banding at both 8-bit 422 (obviously) and also at 12-bit 444 (since this is handled at 8-bits internally) due to lack of dithering.

But if you're seeing overt banding with 10-bit material and you're sure the EDID is not dictating 8 or 12-bit 422, then something else is at play (latest firmware will show the output mode by pressing )
I usually just press the button and check for the output mode, assume its the same as . I changed the settings to your latest n jwort93s recommendation (10bit444, 16-235 hdmi range). from memory, i think it does show an improvement compared to what I saw b4, however a little bit is still present. Instead of double checking on my sony tv app (which is not so good at fast forward n backward. also by no mean a ref standard. i used it bcos its handy n only other 4k player i have), i invite you n others interested to check on a couple of martian scenes at 48:03 and 48:50. following pictures r taken w a phone, the contrast might have been enhanced.

m4803.jpg

m4850.jpg

lastly, i noticed there is quite a bit of noise on matt damon's face, i will be curious to know if this a source problem too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey marskwift,

I received my Zidoo Z9S today with your predicted firmware 2.2.97.and I got a few questions referring the optimal preferences:

- I read something about turning off AUTO-EDID in the Android Menue. Should I actually deactivate it?

DISPLAY:
- HDMI-Mode: should I keep Auto? I'm using a Sasmung UHD TV.
- Color Space Mode: Auto or rather YcBcR 4:4:4? HDMI-Range: 16-235 I suppose? 10bit is mandatory of course.
- HDR: Auto? (I want to play HDR-content with HDR activated and SDR-content as SDR-contect (no transformation SDR to HDR should happen))

PLAYBACK
- Automatic frame-rate -> Frame Rate mode: I chose switch frame rate and resolution, that's optimal? What the hell means "frame rate pause?"
- Stream-Player: I chose the native player in the hope that it would give the best performance. (no stuttering, best quality, etc). Is that right?

Other Questions:
When I start the Zidoo, I would like to display a specific SMB folder without any further clicks to do. How do I do that?

That's all I think.

Thank you as always for your helpful answers.

furzgesicht

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hey marskwift,

I received my Zidoo Z9S today with your predicted firmware 2.2.97.and I got a few questions referring the optimal preferences:

- I read something about turning off AUTO-EDID in the Android Menue. Should I actually deactivate it?

furzgesicht
That's not something I've done on mine. I think you may mean "Ignore EDID" and from memory that was so the display settings included the 23Hz options, but I think that's been fixed so there's no need now.

DISPLAY:
- HDMI-Mode: should I keep Auto? I'm using a Sasmung UHD TV.
- Color Space Mode: Auto or rather YcBcR 4:4:4? HDMI-Range: 16-235 I suppose? 10bit is mandatory of course.
- HDR: Auto? (I want to play HDR-content with HDR activated and SDR-content as SDR-contect (no transformation SDR to HDR should happen))

PLAYBACK
- Automatic frame-rate -> Frame Rate mode: I chose switch frame rate and resolution, that's optimal? What the hell means "frame rate pause?"
- Stream-Player: I chose the native player in the hope that it would give the best performance. (no stuttering, best quality, etc). Is that right?

furzgesicht
These are the settings I use bearing in mind 99% of my content is 4K23:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode > Switch frame and resolution

Display/HDMI Mode > Lock Resolution > Off

Display/HDMI Mode > 3840x2160p 23Hz

Display/Color settings/Deep color mode > Priority 10-bit

Display/Color settings/Color space mode > Priority YCbCr 444

Display/Color settings/HDMI Range Mode > 16-235

Display/Color settings/HDR > Auto

Frame rate pause is aimed at projector owners where a frame rate or resolution change can take a few seconds, so this allows the player to pause for a preset amount of time when frame rates or resolutions change so you don't miss the start of the presentation. Even though my pj has a long sync time I never bother to set this.

As far as the player goes, both NuPlayer and Native Player are for streaming media only - they have no effect on local playback - generally setting nuplayer will be okay.

Other Questions:
When I start the Zidoo, I would like to display a specific SMB folder without any further clicks to do. How do I do that?

That's all I think.

Thank you as always for your helpful answers.

furzgesicht
As far as I know you can only select a particular app to open at startup by long clicking on that app and select "Launch on Startup" - for example, I launch HT2 at startup. So you could choose to launch Media Center but not a particular folder.

... There's probably a clever Androidy way to do it though...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you very much, I installed all your recommended preferences and now hope for a video-stutter-free and audio-dropouts-free time ;)

Last question: I want to remove the WLAN antennas and haven't managed that yet. Unfortunately I obviolusly tried it too hard and suddenly had the whole antenna with the cable visible in my hands... but was able to put it back without destroying anything I think.

Is there a sepcial trick to remove them?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Thank you very much, I installed all your recommended preferences and now hope for a video-stutter-free and audio-dropouts-free time ;)

Last question: I want to remove the WLAN antennas and haven't managed that yet. Unfortunately I obviolusly tried it too hard and suddenly had the whole antenna with the cable visible in my hands... but was able to put it back without destroying anything I think.

Is there a sepcial trick to remove them?
I do exactly the same, but unfortunately they're not as easy as the ones on the X9S which just screw off...

You need to remove the bottom cover (screws under the rubber feet), carefully remove the motherboard and unplug the antenna cables from the motherboard (I use long nose pliers). I also unplug the power switch to make this easier - don't forget to reconnect afterwards!

Then again using the long nosed pliers, you kind of squeeze the antenna fittings on the inside of the box and the antenna pops out and you can also pry the holder out too.

Also make sure you deactivate WiFi in the menu after you put it back together.

I then put little rubber grommets in holes to cover them just to be neat.

This obviously voids the warranty.

Reactions: mikela and dr4go

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dear friends,

I want your experience about the Zidoo Z10 and the best configuration you made in order to have the best result .
I get rid off the zappiti and move to Z10 because of the chip and missing metadata .
My system is Panasonic OLED 4K and Onkyo 676 .

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
@markswift2003 - see there is a new "beta" firmware upgrade.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/new-firmware-v2-3-17-beta-version-for-zidoo-z9s-release.74387/

Would appreciate some feedback if anyone is brave enough to try it. Does it resolve the stuttering from mkv's introduced recently?

EDIT - Don't use - looks like Zidoo pulled this one - poster may have "jumped the gun"
This was released last week I think - essentially the same as v2.3.15 but with an attempt to fix seamless branching and mpls handling. Several uses immediately reported these fixes as not working so it was then pulled.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
This was released last week I think - essentially the same as v2.3.15 but with an attempt to fix seamless branching and mpls handling. Several uses immediately reported these fixes as not working so it was then pulled.
Yip - just saw the post dated this morning and until another member posted, assumed this was a new release.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
That's not something I've done on mine. I think you may mean "Ignore EDID" and from memory that was so the display settings included the 23Hz options, but I think that's been fixed so there's no need now.

These are the settings I use bearing in mind 99% of my content is 4K23:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode > Switch frame and resolution

Display/HDMI Mode > Lock Resolution > Off

Display/HDMI Mode > 3840x2160p 23Hz

Display/Color settings/Deep color mode > Priority 10-bit

Display/Color settings/Color space mode > Priority YCbCr 444

Display/Color settings/HDMI Range Mode > 16-235

Display/Color settings/HDR > Auto

Frame rate pause is aimed at projector owners where a frame rate or resolution change can take a few seconds, so this allows the player to pause for a preset amount of time when frame rates or resolutions change so you don't miss the start of the presentation. Even though my pj has a long sync time I never bother to set this.

As far as the player goes, both NuPlayer and Native Player are for streaming media only - they have no effect on local playback - generally setting nuplayer will be okay.

As far as I know you can only select a particular app to open at startup by long clicking on that app and select "Launch on Startup" - for example, I launch HT2 at startup. So you could choose to launch Media Center but not a particular folder.

... There's probably a clever Androidy way to do it though...
and in media center which is the explorer program for files.... not HT 2.0 you can select favorite folders. Using NFS in my experience with synology anyways has proven to be much more efficient and lean than samba. Just page right and set as a favorite directory. Should achieve most of what you want to do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
and in media center which is the explorer program for files.... not HT 2.0 you can select favorite folders. Using NFS in my experience with synology anyways has proven to be much more efficient and lean than samba. Just page right and set as a favorite directory. Should achieve most of what you want to do.

As I said, you can easily set Media Center to open on startup, but you can't it to open a particular location on startup, whether that's local storage, USB, network or favourites etc.

NFS used to be the protocol of choice years ago since it has less overhead and a simpler payload than SMB but that's not really the case these days.

I did the same as you and used NFS originally but found that it didn't cope well with very high bitrate rips whereas SMB works perfectly, and I've used that exclusively since.

(Samba is the original software environment that utilises SMB allowing file and print sharing between Windows and UNIX boxes)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
On NFs I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I have not been happier since swapping over to NFS. I use a synology enterprise ds3615xs with an i7 as my primary nas. Everything else we mostly agree upon but my disappearing source folders and buffering issues went away with the change to nfs. It could be I have too many masters and not enough slaves but I find it much simpler for local access. I do find that winnfsd is a bit buggier but can work if needed however there is as hate limit on that program for windows.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I myself have always used NFS for better performance.

However, with zidoo on my gig wired network., nfs is much poorer than smb..
Nfs will stuffer on jellyfish high bitrate demo, and smb was smooth...
Even with my 4k hdr BluRay rips, nfs would stutter once in while.. While smb was flawless..

Very weird. As NFS has always been better. Maybe zidoo handles nfs poor..

Anyway, I love my zidoo.

I tried the new nvidia shield 2019, and it got retuned fast... Sucks.
Had random video stuttering both on nfs and smb..
With kodi, emby, plex.. I was so disappointed..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Wow, that's unusual - I use the Z9S for 4K movies because I don't like Kodi and I love the interface on the Zidoo, but in my experience both the 2017 and the 2019 Shields stream perfectly well.

You used to have to use a specifically Android-centric port of Kodi - SPMC or MRMC to get best performance but after being prompted by @blenky to try it, that doesn't seem to be the case since Android 18 - it runs butter smooth.

And it's great for Netflix & Amazon with Atmos.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You must have a faulty one or some issue with the cable chain :-> I had a 2017 really liked it but sold it to get an ATV for Dolby Atmos on Netflix and Amazon.

Got a 2019 and its much better. Kodi 18.5 is, at last, a Kodi that is almost perfect. I currently use the 2019 most at the moment. Not using Z9S at all as tried the latest beta, which is a travesty, and just an't be arsed with the hassle of rolling back

Oh and the AI 1080p up scaling on the Shield 2019 really is something special.

2061 - 2080 of 2406 Posts