AVS Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2406 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
What do run it on? I was hoping to put it on my Synology NAS but Docker is not supported on my model.
I just bought a Raspberry Pi 4 solely to run Pi-hole. That's all it does. Completely out of sight, out of mind. I try to remember to check in on it every one or two months.

edited for typos

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What do run it on? I was hoping to put it on my Synology NAS but Docker is not supported on my model.
Easiest is to put it on a Raspberry Pi and just leave it on your network - I've used it for years - it really makes a world of difference - in fact, having got used to it, when you see the internet without one, it's quite shocking how much crap there is!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I’ve encountered a frustrating problem using my Zidoo Z10 and Z9s and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Both boxes are running 2.2.97 / 3.0.40 (H.T.)

I run an UNRAID server with two SMB shares, TV Shows and Films. The Z10 is the main player in the living room, and consistently loses connection to the Films share, and occasionally to the TV Show share.

The result of this when I am in the poster wall is that the wall goes blank, then usually repopulates a few seconds later after the connection is re-established. Occasionally, however, the Zidoo does not reconnect to the Film share, and displays the “INVALID” status in the attached image.
If this occurs during playback, the video will freeze, requiring a restart. This can happen several times during a film, which obviously ruins the experience.

The Z9S is in the bedroom upstairs, and connected to the shares via wi-fi. It exhibits the same behaviour, frequently losing the Films share.

As a result of this, I picked-up an Nvidia Shield TV Pro to test in comparison, both via Wi-Fi and Ethernet. The Shield holds its connection to both shares without an issue. The problem with the Shield is I much prefer the Zidoo H.T.3 interface – vanilla Kodi is flat and unattractive.
Has anyone encountered this issue before? Should I revert back to a 2.X version of H.T?
Not entirely sure what's going on here, but a couple of comments:

I notice one path is a network name and one is an IP address - it should make no difference, but I always prefer IP addresses (obviously the NAS(s) IP(s) must be static!).

I have never seen this behaviour, but from your description of posters disappearing, I assume you have the poster directory set as "Disable Custom Directory" so the posters are cached on the source. It's much better for them to live locally, ie use a Custom Directory (default "storage" is fine), for speed and ease of access (in case NAS has to wake up for example).

I don't think an HT2 reversion would make any difference, but a firmware update might

Current release is here:

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/downloadList/target/2INlOr7QH%2B1KKmVViAFMcQ%3D%3D.htm

...and is stable.

I stuck to v2.2.96 for a long time as there were network access issues in early v2.3.** betas. I don't think v2.2.97 had these problems, but worth upgrading anyway.

Another thing to try is to disable any sleep mode on the NAS as a test. I have WD My Cloud EX2s and they have an issue when coming out of sleep where the video stream will stall for seemingly no reason whatsoever - these NAS drives don't have WOL so my fix was to write a bit of code to write a small text file to the NAS in my "Room On" macro but initially I just disabled sleep and that also fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Easiest is to put it on a Raspberry Pi and just leave it on your network - I've used it for years - it really makes a world of difference - in fact, having got used to it, when you see the internet without one, it's quite shocking how much crap there is!
Don't want to keep this off topic - but just ordered a Raspberry pi! Got a starter kit so has all essentials. lol

Reactions: markswift2003

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I've the Ourglass version of the Z9s. When I checked the software version, it showed up to date at 2.0.34 which I knew is not. So I DL from Zidoo and try to update via USB with 2.3.32 but to no avail (failed).
One of the reasons why I try to update was due to a new Seagate Backup Plus 5TB not recognized/registered. I've no problem copying files from MAC and Windows to it. Zidoo/Ourgalss did not see the drive, though the power light on the HDD was on. BTW, I've 2 other Seagate and WD, all are 4TB. This is the only 5TB I've jsut gotten.
TIA.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've the Ourglass version of the Z9s. When I checked the software version, it showed up to date at 2.0.34 which I knew is not. So I DL from Zidoo and try to update via USB with 2.3.32 but to no avail (failed).
One of the reasons why I try to update was due to a new Seagate Backup Plus 5TB not recognized/registered. I've no problem copying files from MAC and Windows to it. Zidoo/Ourgalss did not see the drive, though the power light on the HDD was on. BTW, I've 2 other Seagate and WD, all are 4TB. This is the only 5TB I've jsut gotten.
TIA.

Pretty sure the Ourglass device is the same as the X9S, not the Z9S. The latest firmware for that is v2.1.40, try that from here: https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/downloadList/target/rRwtRFydZ4xKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

·
Registered
301 Posts
TIA.
Try the usb 2.0 port

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dear friends,

Probably someone will help me to clarify my questions before I'll purchase z9s. I see really controversial info on various forums. I plan to use it only for watching 1080p (BD remux) content from my NAS (wired Gigabit connection) on JVC 7900 projector.

So:
1. How precise AFR works if I use HT3 and native player? 24.000? 23.976? 25.000? Any stuttering?
2. How well HT3 works with large enough (about 3,000 items library)?
3. How the list view in HT3 looks like - just items list without cover art like in OPPO, or with cover art of selected item?
4. Picture quality comparing with ATV4K

Going to change my ATV4K for Zidoo as Apple yesterday demonstrated that they didn't hear my cries about lack of 24.000 support.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, obviously it's not a z9s.:eek:
Thanks.
So why are you trying to put Z9S firmware on it??

As @jwort93 correctly stated, the Ourglass (no "H") was a clone of the X9S not the Z9S, so obviously Z9S firmware will not load.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
So why are you trying to put Z9S firmware on it??

As @jwort93 correctly stated, the Ourglass (no "H") was a clone of the X9S not the Z9S, so obviously Z9S firmware will not load.
User error. Actually got nothing to do with the firmware. I need to format the Seagate 5TB to NTFS for the x9s to recognize it. Did not need to do that with my last Seagate 4TB.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Dear friends,

Probably someone will help me to clarify my questions before I'll purchase z9s. I see really controversial info on various forums. I plan to use it only for watching 1080p (BD remux) content from my NAS (wired Gigabit connection) on JVC 7900 projector.

So:
1. How precise AFR works if I use HT3 and native player? 24.000? 23.976? 25.000? Any stuttering?
Auto Frame Rate works correctly in all frame rates, modes and resolutions (confirmed with HDFury Vertex)

There is no stuttering at all.

2. How well HT3 works with large enough (about 3,000 items library)?
HT3 is based on a SQL database so works fine with large libraries

3. How the list view in HT3 looks like - just items list without cover art like in OPPO, or with cover art of selected item?
There is no list view in HT3 (except for viewing individual devices from the widgets). In that case, posters are shown if a file (not a directory) is selected as below:

If you go into a folder you see the preview;

There is another app called "Media Center" which is a basic file browser which can have a list or grid view but there are no previews:

4. Picture quality comparing with ATV4K
I don't have an ATV so can't comment directly but the picture quality is as good as any BluRay player for 2K or UHD BluRay player for 4K.

Attachments

Reactions: johng

·
Registered
20 Posts
Auto Frame Rate works correctly in all frame rates, modes and resolutions (confirmed with HDFury Vertex)

There is no stuttering at all.

HT3 is based on a SQL database so works fine with large libraries

There is no list view in HT3 (except for viewing individual devices from the widgets). In that case, posters are shown if a file (not a directory) is selected as below:

If you go into a folder you see the preview;

There is another app called "Media Center" which is a basic file browser which can have a list or grid view but there are no previews:

I don't have an ATV so can't comment directly but the picture quality is as good as any BluRay player for 2K or UHD BluRay player for 4K.
Dear markswift2003,

Thank you so much for such full answer! You made everything so clear for me!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm just a bit of a perfectionist (my wife would use other adjectives!!) and although I don't use IR, it would have been nice for Zidoo to provide the same functionality for IR users - I know it's an easy fix.

To be fair, I had to give up on IP codes too for kind of the same reasons - language barrier and I think in that case it was a hardware issue too, but discrete IP commands, although available, do not work due to the NIC switching off in "Off" mode and the IP command for simply not working in "Standby".

I used to own a CI business (sold it 9 years ago) so this kind of thing is close to my heart.

And in case you ever want to play with one, if it's programmed well, a Crestron system (which is what I use) is utterly foolproof under all circumstances.

Sorry for digging up this old message!

I am planning to integrate the Zidoo Z9S into my Crestron home cinema installation. I was wondering, what the best approach is to do so.

The Z9S offers RS232 and IP control which more or less mirrors the functionality of the IR remote. In fact, I upgraded to the Z9S from my X9S mainly to get the RS232 option.
Then there is an extensive API on Zidoo's developer site which could be used to build a very complex but feature rich module for control via IP.
Then, of course, one could do it the classic Crestron way and use IR and sense the power status using an ST-VS video sync sensor connected to the AV-Out of the Z9S.

I have been playing around a little and even tried to stream the interface through the AV-Out and an IP-Video server via MPEG4 and MJPEG, but the resolution is just too low, e.g. to get a usable poster wall that way.

I did, however, run into problems using the RS232 port. I connected the 3.5 mm phone jack as shown in this thread, but I cannot get the Z9S to react or respond to commands sent to the unit. I tripple checked the interface settings 9600 bps, 8N1 and switched TX and RX...checked the wire... no change.

Does the RS232 port have to be activated? Are there special settings to enable power-up through RS232 or is it better to use IR and the video sensor?

I would appreciate your input on this!

Thanks!

Markus

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Sorry for digging up this old message!

I am planning to integrate the Zidoo Z9S into my Crestron home cinema installation. I was wondering, what the best approach is to do so.

The Z9S offers RS232 and IP control which more or less mirrors the functionality of the IR remote. In fact, I upgraded to the Z9S from my X9S mainly to get the RS232 option.
Then there is an extensive API on Zidoo's developer site which could be used to build a very complex but feature rich module for control via IP.
Then, of course, one could do it the classic Crestron way and use IR and sense the power status using an ST-VS video sync sensor connected to the AV-Out of the Z9S.

I have been playing around a little and even tried to stream the interface through the AV-Out and an IP-Video server via MPEG4 and MJPEG, but the resolution is just too low, e.g. to get a usable poster wall that way.

I did, however, run into problems using the RS232 port. I connected the 3.5 mm phone jack as shown in this thread, but I cannot get the Z9S to react or respond to commands sent to the unit. I tripple checked the interface settings 9600 bps, 8N1 and switched TX and RX...checked the wire... no change.

Does the RS232 port have to be activated? Are there special settings to enable power-up through RS232 or is it better to use IR and the video sensor?

I would appreciate your input on this!

Thanks!

Markus

When I first started playing with the Z9S I got quite excited about the API, but the one big stumbling block for IP control is that the network card gets switched off on a power down and standby does all sorts of funky things - so if you want to incorporate in a CI environment which must be bomb proof, RS232 is the way to go.

The RS232 port doesn't need activating, and your baud rate is correct, so I'm not sure why it's not responding...

I would definitely use RS232 over IR any day - far more robust and has discrete on/off.

Just in case (and I'm sure you have this right!) this is the pinout:

One thought - did you remember the \n delimiter (\x0D\x0A) at the end of the command?

So for example on looks like:

#STP\n

or

\x23\x53\x54\x50\x0D\x0A

in hex

I've attached my Crestron module for the Zidoo to try, so just connect TX$ & RX$ to your comm port.

Couple of notes for it:

It includes three other modules - a Simpl+ Non Volatile Interlock, a Simpl+ Non Volatile Momentary Toggle and a Simpl Cursor Driver so I've included those in the Archive.

The Non Volatile S+ modules are to maintain feedback through a reboot and the cursor driver does the cursor repeats on the 232 port - basically a press and hold.

There is an input called "Power Off Mode" - set it to "1" for full power off and "0" for standby - I recommend full power off as I think there are still issues with standby - so set it to "1" - that's in the help too.

It also has a Debug Send$ input so you can test strings manually in debugger.

Mark

Attachments

Reactions: dr4go

·
Registered
251 Posts
When I first started playing with the Z9S I got quite excited about the API, but the one big stumbling block for IP control is that the network card gets switched off on a power down and standby does all sorts of funky things - so if you want to incorporate in a CI environment which must be bomb proof, RS232 is the way to go.

The RS232 port doesn't need activating, and your baud rate is correct, so I'm not sure why it's not responding...

I would definitely use RS232 over IR any day - far more robust and has discrete on/off.

Just in case (and I'm sure you have this right!) this is the pinout:

One thought - did you remember the \n delimiter (\x0D\x0A) at the end of the command?

So for example on looks like:

#STP\n

or

\x23\x53\x54\x50\x0D\x0A

in hex

I've attached my Crestron module for the Zidoo to try, so just connect TX$ & RX$ to your comm port.

Couple of notes for it:

It includes three other modules - a Simpl+ Non Volatile Interlock, a Simpl+ Non Volatile Momentary Toggle and a Simpl Cursor Driver so I've included those in the Archive.

The Non Volatile S+ modules are to maintain feedback through a reboot and the cursor driver does the cursor repeats on the 232 port - basically a press and hold.

There is an input called "Power Off Mode" - set it to "1" for full power off and "0" for standby - I recommend full power off as I think there are still issues with standby - so set it to "1" - that's in the help too.

It also has a Debug Send$ input so you can test strings manually in debugger.

Mark

Hi Mark,

thank you so much!

I got it up and running! It turned out to be a bad wire that I had been using for RS232.

Now I have the needed functionality and even though the picture quality is bad, I could not resist to stream the AV output to the TSW-1052 via MJPEG. It looks nice and one has some visual feedback of what is going on even if the projector is off or displaying a differnt source.

Thanks again!

Markus

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hi Mark,

thank you so much!

I got it up and running! It turned out to be a bad wire that I had been using for RS232.

Now I have the needed functionality and even though the picture quality is bad, I could not resist to stream the AV output to the TSW-1052 via MJPEG. It looks nice and one has some visual feedback of what is going on even if the projector is off or displaying a differnt source.

Thanks again!

Markus
Brilliant! Glad you got it working.

I have a TPS-6X on the rack with video from the amp's second output - handy for adjustments etc without firing up the system - that's straight video though rather than MJPEG, and although it's low resolution, it's not bad and plenty good enough for what I need it for.

Mark

2381 - 2400 of 2406 Posts