AVS Forum banner
441 - 460 of 2489 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I am happy with Dune’s UHD playback but I saw that the Z9S supported UHD blu-Ray menu playback and in the search for the fully functional media player which can play BDMV folders with the menu functionality of a dedicated 4K blu-ray player I thought I would give it a try.

UHD blu-Ray menu playback of BDMV folders works on the Z9S (I still find the menu start rendering twice a bit weird) but HD blu-ray menu playback is very hit and miss and the lack of support for seamless branching means playing HD blu-Ray movies isn’t reliable for trouble free viewing. You may hate the stutter, I hate dropped audio and video skips.

So, for now, I’m playing UHD blu-ray on the Z9S and HD blu-ray on the Pro 4K. Both players are on the network, just a case of switching the best player for the job.

Maybe the M9702 is the answer ?

It'd certainly be interesting to see one in action but I must admit I sincerely don't get everyone's love of menus - back in the olden days of yore and DVD, my main reason for switching to media servers was to be rid of the damn things!

·
Registered
996 Posts
It'd certainly be interesting to see one in action but I must admit I sincerely don't get everyone's love of menus - back in the olden days of yore and DVD, my main reason for switching to media servers was to be rid of the damn things!
If my Panasonic 4k blu-Ray Player supported BDMV folder playback it would be the ideal solution.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I setup my Zidoo Z9S in my home theater last night and the gui screens don't look right on the big screen. They are out of focus a little and really hurt my eyes. Are there settings I need to change so that the Zidoo menus and backgrounds look sharper?I checked out a couple of 4K movies and the picture quality of the movies is excellent.

Thanks.

Ray

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If my Panasonic 4k blu-Ray Player supported BDMV folder playback it would be the ideal solution.

It might be a concession to the studios, but the fact it doesn't do HD audio pass-through over the network either is a crime!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I setup my Zidoo Z9S in my home theater last night and the gui screens don't look right on the big screen. They are out of focus a little and really hurt my eyes. Are there settings I need to change so that the Zidoo menus and backgrounds look sharper?I checked out a couple of 4K movies and the picture quality of the movies is excellent.

Thanks.

Ray

Sounds like base resolution too low - What resolution do you have the Zidoo set to?

If you're primarily using it for 4K movies, I'd set the following:

Resolution - 3840x2160 23Hz (need to go into advanced setup/developer options, set ignore edid and restart to get the 23Hz option)
Bit depth - 10 bits
Colour Space - YCbCr 444

The gui screen should look perfectly sharp, but the video wall in HT2 can look a bit blurry on the big screen due to the resolution of the coverart render, but it shouldn't hurt your eyes.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The sdr to hdr feature of the Pro 4K and the Z9S is proving to be worth having (after tweaking the display profile), does the Oppo firmware offer that feature ?
Dunno - haven't got one ;)

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I'm with you... But it's nice to have them sometimes if you pause the movie, bathroom break, WAF, etc.

What has me currently intrigued with the M9702 is that apparently it will also do the anamorphic lens stretch that the Oppo's do. That's a Big Plus for me.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm with you... But it's nice to have them sometimes if you pause the movie, bathroom break, WAF, etc.

What has me currently intrigued with the M9702 is that apparently it will also do the anamorphic lens stretch that the Oppo's do. That's a Big Plus for me.
It'd be worth an email to zidoo about that...

·
Registered
996 Posts

HD blu-Ray menu support is more than just a ‘nice to have’ feature.
If you want seamless branching support, it requires HD blu-menu playback.
Blu-Ray menu playback is not essential for 4K (so far) they comprise a single m2ts file. But, it’s still a nice to have.

Otherwise you need to convert to MKV, or remux to a single m2ts file.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I’ve searched, hdr—>sdr, yes, but no mention of sdr—>hdr, so maybe unlikely with the M9702 + Oppo CF.
It is an unusual option to provide but I find it extremely helpful because it allows me to use my projector without the 15 second resyncs between gui and HDR content that would usually happen.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sounds like base resolution too low - What resolution do you have the Zidoo set to?

If you're primarily using it for 4K movies, I'd set the following:

Resolution - 3840x2160 23Hz (need to go into advanced setup/developer options, set ignore edid and restart to get the 23Hz option)
Bit depth - 10 bits
Colour Space - YCbCr 444

The gui screen should look perfectly sharp, but the video wall in HT2 can look a bit blurry on the big screen due to the resolution of the coverart render, but it shouldn't hurt your eyes.
I use the Z9S for both HD SDR and UHD HDR. I currently have it set as:

HDMI Mode - Auto
Deep Color Mode - Priority 12bit ( as the info on the screen says "If the display device supports 10 bit, we recommend to set output above 10bit for better display effect")
Color Space Mode - Auto
HDMI Range Mode - 16-235

Is some of the above not at optimum then?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I use the Z9S for both HD SDR and UHD HDR. I currently have it set as:

HDMI Mode - Auto
Deep Color Mode - Priority 12bit ( as the info on the screen says "If the display device supports 10 bit, we recommend to set output above 10bit for better display effect")
Color Space Mode - Auto
HDMI Range Mode - 16-235

Is some of the above not at optimum then?
Everybody's setup is going to be different, so in the case of @tjenkins95, he has a projector similar to mine with the horrendous 15s sync time, so it makes sense to have the primary mode the same as that of the source file's display mode to help reduce the number of times the projector has to sync.

If sync time's not an issue that widens the parameters somewhat so it depends on your monitor vs your primary source, but I'd still argue that it makes sense to set gui mode the same as the main source.

With your settings above, as long as your display doesn't take long to sync (usually only a projector issue, and primarily JVC projectors!) then you're good to go, but I would say change the bit depth to 10-bit since that is the maximum bit depth of any source (BD = 8-bit, UHD BD = 10-bit) so there's really no point in padding to 12-bits at all. Forcing 4:4:4 is also a good idea since although both BD & UHD BD are encoded in 4:2:0, there isn't a legal HDMI mode at 4:2:0 at 23.976fps and encoding to 4:2:2 can introduce artifacts whereas 4:4:4 shouldn't.
(theoretically forcing 10-bit should force 4:4:4 anyway as that's the only legal mode at 23.976 but belt and braces, set bit depth to 10-bit and colour space to 4:4:4 because I'm not sure which would take precedence).

Yes - I forgot to mention HDMI range earlier, and it will always be limited. A setting of should be able to set the range correctly, but I've seen instances where it doesn't so I always do as you suggest and set manually to limited range, 16-235.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Blu-Ray menu playback is not essential for 4K (so far) they comprise a single m2ts file. But, it’s still a nice to have.
there is no android player with full 4K BD menu support. no one can playback embedded subs.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Case of crossed wires, I was talking about seamless branching in relation to 4K Blu-ray, didn't mention subs.
I did understand but somebody can think that seamless branching is the only problem with menus...
I suppose Hisilicon players are better choise for menus. Don`t really understand why himedia is not popular on this forum...

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
it absolutely does happen in some mkv's on the oppo.
Passengers, Jason Bourne, Magnificent Seven, Resident Evil Final chapter, Life..to name a few..
what firmware are you running on the Oppo ? I watched Passengers UHD MKV tonight on my 203 with latest firmware, zero issues with Cinavia

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
... Don`t really understand why himedia is not popular on this forum...

Undoubtedly the HiSilicon SOC is the best performer of the lot but HiMedia have put zero effort into the front end. That may not matter to some, but a lot of us here have dedicated rooms and a crappy telephone interface and a poorly executed Kodi wrapper just doesn't cut it.

It is a fair point though because I know others here have expressed that they are happy with a simple folder listing interface, in which case HiMedia would be worth a look.

Reactions: blenky
441 - 460 of 2489 Posts