AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2406 Posts

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
It's good news to hear if the Z9S is behaving at 10 bit 444 / 23.974. I will pick one of these up based on your findings and give it a run, thanks again
Only caveat is Zidoo mucking this up with a future firmware. With X9S, the pre-v.1.5.0 f/w also did 23.976 correctly, but re-encoded MKV's (like 1920x800) would play squished filling 16x9 frame.

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
I usually just force 10 bit 444 or 422 on UHD blu-ray players, etc when it is available...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
... re-encoded MKV's (like 1920x800) would play squished filling 16x9 frame.

The Egreat still does something similar - it shifts 2.35 encodes vertically! Mad.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Only caveat is Zidoo mucking this up with a future firmware. With X9S, the pre-v.1.5.0 f/w also did 23.976 correctly, but re-encoded MKV's (like 1920x800) would play squished filling 16x9 frame.
I thought about that recently and went back and flashed to 1.4.2 and was surprised to see the same framerate issue with UHD content. This was on an X8 and the X9S as well. Maybe they tweaked something with the 1296?

I'll pick one up from futeko.com and have it shipped to the US to check out.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
The framerate being correct w/firmware prior to v1.5.0 was reported by @3DBuff at Kodi forum. I don't want to risk going back to that f/w as I'm reading some reports of units being bricked when attempting to do so.

Surprised Zidoo isn't selling Z-series via Amazon like they are X.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
The framerate being correct w/firmware prior to v1.5.0 was reported by @3DBuff at Kodi forum. I don't want to risk going back to that f/w as I'm reading some reports of units being bricked when attempting to do so.

Surprised Zidoo isn't selling Z-series via Amazon like they are X.
I recall reading that and tried 2 pre 1.5.0 version on the X8 and X9S, unfortunately the Vertex reported the same exact framerate issues that Mark documented.

I'll pay for expedited shipping to the US, I'm curious to see this now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@markswift2003 great in-depth analysis of 12-bit 422 issue. Is it the same with Z9X?

I'm really curious what 3D MVC format will show. For sample file just use Kodi video library:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

You probably need 3D TV or Porjector to get Zidoo into 3D mode unless Vertex can act like one.

I never got to test fw 1.5.0 for doubled frames on X9S myself. There were few posts in the Zidoo forum regarding this, people flashing the unit back to 1.5.0.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking at Mark's table we can draw a conclusion that frame rate / micro stutter issue is tied into software to some degree.
There are 3 players with the same RTD 1295 chipset in the list:
1. Dune Pro 4K
2. Zidoo X9S
3. Zappiti mini 4K HDR
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dune and Zappiti look OK at lower resolutions and / or low demanding color space. They share the same issue when pushed to 4K, 10 or 12 bit and 444.

Ziddo X9S has a problem flat out ;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'd love @Sledgehamma to work his magic and do one of his reviews but I know he's said he hasn't got a 4K display yet...
The missing 4K Display is just one aspect why I haven’t done a review yet. I finished my degree now so the job hunting has started. Rest assured, when all this is settled I will get a 4K Display and will do reviews again :)
Sadly, I just can’t say when this will happen.

Looking at Mark's table we can draw a conclusion that frame rate / micro stutter issue is tied into software to some degree.
There are 3 players with the same RTD 1295 chipset in the list:
1. Dune Pro 4K
2. Zidoo X9S
3. Zappiti mini 4K HDR
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dune and Zappiti look OK at lower resolutions and / or low demanding color space. They share the same issue when pushed to 4K, 10 or 12 bit and 444.

Ziddo X9S has a problem flat out ;)
It’s most likely due to the use of different SDK versions. For example Dune always lagged behind in using the latest SDK on their Sigma based models.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
@markswift2003 great in-depth analysis of 12-bit 422 issue. Is it the same with Z9X?

I'm really curious what 3D MVC format will show. For sample file just use Kodi video library:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

You probably need 3D TV or Porjector to get Zidoo into 3D mode unless Vertex can act like one.

I never got to test fw 1.5.0 for doubled frames on X9S myself. There were few posts in the Zidoo forum regarding this, people flashing the unit back to 1.5.0.

Cool thank you - I'll try that this afternoon - I'll test on a non 3D display (easier than the projector) but I can set the Vertex to provide an EDID to fool the Zidoo into providing a 3D output.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Reactions: 3DVideoBuff

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Just a quick note on the new firmware.

I upgraded to v1.9.7 from factory v1.7.7 because as a JVC projector owner, I was quite excited about the "optimization" of HDR to SDR conversion and the new "gamma" settings.

Unfortunately the optimizations have introduced some unpleasant posterisation effects on converting HDR to SDR so I would suggest that anyone for whom HDR to SDR is important skip this version.

I couldn't find a copy of v1.7.7 but managed to get a copy of v1.8.1 and that has reversed the changes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just a quick note on the new firmware.

I upgraded to v1.9.7 from factory v1.7.7 because as a JVC projector owner, I was quite excited about the "optimization" of HDR to SDR conversion and the new "gamma" settings.

Unfortunately the optimizations have introduced some unpleasant posterisation effects on converting HDR to SDR so I would suggest that anyone for whom HDR to SDR is important skip this version.

I couldn't find a copy of v1.7.7 but managed to get a copy of v1.8.1 and that has reversed the changes.
Thanks for this thread!I just ordered the Zidoo Z9S.
A few months ago I purchased a Synology NAS and converted about 250 4K UHDs to mkv and copied them to the NAS. I have been using the Nvidia Shield to watch them. I was going to start converting my regular blu-ray discs and wanted to bring over the special features too. I found this thread and decided to copy over the blu-rays in ISO format and pickup a new Zidoo to be able to play the ISOs.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Thanks for this thread!I just ordered the Zidoo Z9S.
A few months ago I purchased a Synology NAS and converted about 250 4K UHDs to mkv and copied them to the NAS. I have been using the Nvidia Shield to watch them. I was going to start converting my regular blu-ray discs and wanted to bring over the special features too. I found this thread and decided to copy over the blu-rays in ISO format and pickup a new Zidoo to be able to play the ISOs.
Hi, which synology did you pick up? i'm running the DS1817+ with (8) 8 TB drives around 45TB raid 6. it's been great for over a year, no issues.

I also use the Nvidia shield & Oppo 203 right now for UHD MKV playback on the RS600 and avoid using my Dune 4K Pro and Zidoo X9S due the issues we've been discussing on the skipped frames.

I'm looking forward to seeing they fully resolved it with this updated model.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I ordered one last night from futeko.com and they shipped it already, should be here in a few days.

Thanks mark for checking with the Vertex, I wouldn't have ordered one otherwise without the verification of the reported framerate.

I'll post my experience as well once it arrives.

It'll be really interesting to hear what you think about it. I think we just have to be a bit careful with firmware revisions.

Reactions: johng and zombie10k

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi, which synology did you pick up? i'm running the DS1817+ with (8) 8 TB drives around 45TB raid 6. it's been great for over a year, no issues.

I also use the Nvidia shield & Oppo 203 right now for UHD MKV playback on the RS600 and avoid using my Dune 4K Pro and Zidoo X9S due the issues we've been discussing on the skipped frames.

I'm looking forward to seeing they fully resolved it with this updated model.

I am running the Synology DS918+ with four WD 8 TB hard drives. With about 250 UHD movie discs ripped to MKV, the NAS is already 47% full.
I was totally new to the NAS stuff when I started and I decided to configure them using JBOD to save space.
I learned about NAS from the Synology reviews by the "Spandotcom" guys on Youtube.
All my movie files are backed up with a couple of WD easystore® 8TB External USB 3.0 drives that I picked up at Best Buy when they were on sale
I wan to rip some of my blu-ray collection and any of the 4K UHD movie discs that contain both HDR and Dolby Vision to ISO.
I still haven't experienced Dolby Vision since I only own the projector.

Ray
raysdvds.org

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, you were absolutely correct - both the X9S and the Z9S play 3D MVC MKV at 23.973fps so I wouldn't expect micro-stutter.
It all comes together now confirming that micro-stutters (doubled frames) are coming from frame rate variations. I noticed those micro stutters right from beginning when I got Zidoo X9S in spring of this year. I could see it on all HD and 4K movies as long as frame rate was 23.976 (95% of the movies) but not on 3D MVC.

My Zidoo is connected to 3D OLED LG C6 series. I do use medium frame interpolation setting for regular movies (to take down OLED judder) and high level for 3D movies for in-depth realizm. It does make things a little muddy like you said ;) You newer know if the motion blip was from TV motion processor or Zidoo itself but I didn't have those blips on previous player. At the end I did some testing with slow motion camera shutting off any frame interpolation and image processing what confirmed Zidoo issues.

Mark, can you update your table with 3D tests to keep it all in one place? I will update Zidoo stutter thread and make reference to you research and tables.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It all comes together now confirming that micro-stutters (doubled frames) are coming from frame rate variations. I noticed those micro stutters right from beginning when I got Zidoo X9S in spring of this year. I could see it on all HD and 4K movies as long as frame rate was 23.976 (95% of the movies) but not on 3D MVC.

My Zidoo is connected to 3D OLED LG C6 series. I do use medium frame interpolation setting for regular movies (to take down OLED judder) and high level for 3D movies for in-depth realizm. I does make things a little muddy like you said ;) You newer know if the motion blip was from TV motion processor or Zidoo itself but I didn't have those blips on previous player. At the end I did some testing with slow motion camera shutting off any frame interpolation and image processing what confirmed Zidoo issues.

Mark, can you update your table with 3D tests to keep it all in one place? I will update Zidoo stutter thread and make reference to you research and tables.

Thanks for your help :)

Isn't it great that it all seems to finally make sense! Not great that the hardware doesn't work correctly, but finally an explanation that makes sense for both microstutter and 12-bit banding.

Indeed - I will update the table tomorrow, but I think I'll go a step further and try the 3D files on all machines so people with the other players listed can get more of a full picture.

And just for further confirmation - another film on the Z9S tonight and again not a single micro stutter. (San Andreas - expected nothing and got an awesome film with a very lively Atmos mix!!)

81 - 100 of 2406 Posts