AVS Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 2406 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I upgraded my AVR recently, from an old 2008 Onkyo to a new 4k Yamaha TSR-7850. In both cases, the image/video were slightly darker. Not sure if there is anything I can to to elevate the brightness other than adjusting my projectors (2k and 4k).

Separately, I noticed when I increased or decreased the volume, there is no screen display (other than the AVR itself), but it's there with Roku and 4k BR player ever since my 4k upgrade.

TIA.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Oops. Found one of my answers. Under the picture parameter, I can increase the brightness.

On the HDMI display part, it keeps defaulting to 1080p with my 4k projector; Auto does not hold.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Yeah subtitles are a bit of a bane, especially the forced subs in bits for some movies (eg The Martian). I was wondering if there was such a thing as a single subtitle track where only some parts of it were forced. So Avatar has that?

The other problem is 3D. Not many tools handle full frame packed 3D properly that I'm aware of where you can add a subtitle track, so for example say you wanted to add a forced subtitle track you made buy cutting all the non-forced bits out so it just contained the forced subs, and make that a forced track, good luck. At least I'm not aware of any. MKVToolnix doesn't seem to handle frame packed 3d. MakeMKV handles 3d but not any remuxing.
:confused:I use MKVtoolnix all the time with 3d files.... especially to add Atmos tracks from the 4K or 2D versions to the 3D video...in addition, after I determine the proper PGS forced subtitle track with Mediainfo, I use MKVtoolnix to flag it as Forced and/or simply get rid of the other subtitle tracks...

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
:confused:I use MKVtoolnix all the time with 3d files.... especially to add Atmos tracks from the 4K or 2D versions to the 3D video...in addition, after I determine the proper PGS forced subtitle track with Mediainfo, I use MKVtoolnix to flag it as Forced and/or simply get rid of the other subtitle tracks...
Hmm. I must be doing something wrong then. When I tried it on the weekend it messed up the 3d and did 2d. I did check the video stream (which wasn't ticked when I added the MPLS). I tried googling and thought from what I read it didn't do frame packed.

Any tips?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Hmm. I must be doing something wrong then. When I tried it on the weekend it messed up the 3d and did 2d. I did check the video stream (which wasn't ticked when I added the MPLS). I tried googling and thought from what I read it didn't do frame packed.

Any tips?
I have no idea why that wouldn't be working for you.....you should be able to verify that you indeed are remuxing a frame packed video stream by highlighting it on the left box and checking the individual "properties" adjustment parameters on the right side box... scroll down to the video properties and you should see one for "stereoscopy"... it should say something like "both eyes laced in one block".....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have no idea why that wouldn't be working for you.....you should be able to verify that you indeed are remuxing a frame packed video stream by highlighting it on the left box and checking the individual "properties" adjustment parameters on the right side box... scroll down to the video properties and you should see one for "stereoscopy"... it should say something like "both eyes laced in one block".....
OK thanks. so that one means frame packed?

Seems I spend so much time on audio and subtitle remuxing projects over the years. And now after I've more or less finished all my backlog of 3d atmos fixes, I am wanting / needing now to sort out the subtitles. I recently redid one (2d) where I extracted and OCR'd the subs, and regenerated a sup file with smaller, at the BOTTOM of the screen, and partially transparent subs. Something more appropriate to my 115" projector screen :) I watched it last night and so much better...

·
Registered
166 Posts

Any tips?
What player are you using? Even if the file is properly created and the streams correctly flagged, the player might require the file name to have a component like *.MVC.* or something to recognize and play as 3D by default.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
What player are you using? Even if the file is properly created and the streams correctly flagged, the player might require the file name to have a component like *.MVC.* or something to recognize and play as 3D by default.
A z9s - but the file was too small compared to the source, which tipped me straight up, and when I opened it elsewhere just showed I think 1 stream, avc.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Just announced on the Zidoo forum that the Z9S will support SDR.2020.

Now that is impressive and along with correct HDR SEI reporting, this really sets it apart from the rest...

It'll depend on how they apply gamma of course, but it's another tool in the bag for pj owners.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
971 Posts
Just announced on the Zidoo forum that the Z9S will support SDR.2020.

Now that is impressive and along with correct HDR SEI reporting, this really sets it apart from the rest...
If only it supported seamless branching and forced subs on BDMV and ISO playback, missing basic functionality.

Is it such a great idea anyway......
“Those modes (SDR BT 2020) are close to "fake me a wide color gammut image" modes on TVs, maybe a little bit better, if the Bluray Players manufacturers knows what he is doing are doing. The issue still remains, that if you display a color at 100% of its intended saturation, but at 25% of its intended brightness, it still the wrong color. and if you have 5 colors at that 100% saturation level, same xy coordinates, and 26%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100% intended brightness, they would still be shown as the same wrong color (25% of intended brightness) on your setup. This ruins the image (= massive clipping, and wrong colors). So what the Projector manufacturer, or the Blueray manufacturer does in this case, is to compress the dynamic range (resorting in wrong color mappings), but preserving "full saturation" (resulting in even more wrong color perception.).”

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Is it such a great idea anyway......

If you understand it, then yes it is.

That guy doesn't.

It's a fairly niche application, most people won't have use of it - you won't - but for pj owners who want an alternative to internal or custom gamma curves - ie letting the box map the luminance but staying within the correct gamut, it's an interesting proposition.

That's not to say they'll get the gamma right - but if not, it can still be corrected externally anyway.

The only boxes I'm aware of that do this at the moment are the Panasonic and Oppo Blu-Ray players. Maybe Pioneer do - I don't know..

Reactions: jherring69

·
Registered
971 Posts
If you understand it, then yes it is.

That guy doesn't.

It's a fairly niche application, most people won't have use of it - you won't - but for pj owners who want an alternative to internal or custom gamma curves - ie letting the box map the luminance but staying within the correct gamut, it's an interesting proposition.

That's not to say they'll get the gamma right - but if not, it can still be corrected externally anyway.

Sorry, this guy does and that's why he posted a quote outlining why it's not the projector panacea it appears to be.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sorry, this guy does and that's why he posted a quote outlining why it's not the projector panacea it appears to be.

What he wrote there shows no indication of that so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but for those for whom it matters, this is an interesting option.

Anyway - new page - it's time to tell us about seamless branching and menus again...

·
Registered
971 Posts
What he wrote there shows no indication of that so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but for those for whom it matters, this is an interesting option.

Anyway - new page - it's time to tell us about seamless branching and menus again...
Why would I need to do that for a player with “agile functionality” and “flawless 4K playback” ?
What could go wrong ?

(I didn’t quote the whole post because I didn’t want to deflate your expectations, but he did refer to it as “Snake Oil” for projector owners).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Why would I need to do that for a player with “agile functionality” and “flawless 4K playback” ?
What could go wrong ?

(I didn’t quote the whole post because I didn’t want to deflate your expectations, but he did refer to it as “Snake Oil” for projector owners).

Come on mate, keep up! I've already said that this mode will be of no use to you, so I'm not really sure why you feel the need to comment other than to continue your negative and somewhat predictable crusade against Zidoo.

SDR 2020 is certainly not a panacea and at no point did I imply it was, but well done finding the word.

It is most definitely not snake oil either as quoted by your ill informed friend.

It is most useful to those with projectors that are able to natively display BT.2020 but do not have the ability to provide an ST.2084 PQ gamma curve (Epson LS10000 is I think an example, but there are many more).

It is also of interest to those who have projectors with ST.2084 functionality but who are not happy with the results - it provides another alternative to display "HDR" material without the need of a colour space conversion - particularly useful for those who do not want to get into the intricacies of custom gamma curves. You can keep the correct colour space and let the box do the luminance gamma.

In reality, it doesn't matter which end of the chain this transfer function is applied, as long as it's done properly and as I said earlier, the success of this mode will depend upon the accuracy of the gamma(s) Zidoo provides, however at that point they output a standard power law gamma, so theoretically discrepancies are easy to compensate for.

Have to be honest, I probably won't use it as I have gamma curves I designed myself that work great for HDR material, but I'm looking forward to trying it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Come on mate, keep up! I've already said that this mode will be of no use to you, so I'm not really sure why you feel the need to comment other than to continue your negative and somewhat predictable crusade against Zidoo.

SDR 2020 is certainly not a panacea and at no point did I imply it was, but well done finding the word.

It is most definitely not snake oil either as quoted by your ill informed friend.

It is most useful to those with projectors that are able to natively display BT.2020 but do not have the ability to provide an ST.2084 PQ gamma curve (Epson LS10000 is I think an example, but there are many more).

It is also of interest to those who have projectors with ST.2084 functionality but who are not happy with the results - it provides another alternative to display "HDR" material without the need of a colour space conversion - particularly useful for those who do not want to get into the intricacies of custom gamma curves. You can keep the correct colour space and let the box do the luminance gamma.

In reality, it doesn't matter which end of the chain this transfer function is applied, as long as it's done properly and as I said earlier, the success of this mode will depend upon the accuracy of the gamma(s) Zidoo provides, however at that point they output a standard power law gamma, so theoretically discrepancies are easy to compensate for.

Have to be honest, I probably won't use it as I have gamma curves I designed myself that work great for HDR material, but I'm looking forward to trying it.
Try it, but I suspect that as with the Dune Solo 4k’s quasi HDR mode, which initially appeared to be a possible substitute for a player with full HDR support, you won’t be satisfied with SD.2020. But good luck with it.
If you check back on the X9S forum, it’s something Zidoo tried a while ago, but the results weren’t welcomed.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Try it, but I suspect that as with the Dune Solo 4k’s quasi HDR mode, which initially appeared to be a possible substitute for a player with full HDR support, you won’t be satisfied with SD.2020. But good luck with it.
If you check back on the X9S forum, it’s something Zidoo tried a while ago, but the results weren’t welcomed.

The Solo was a different proposition altogether - that was HDMI 1.4 (from memory) and certainly didn't output BT.2020 - that "conversion" was simply ramped up saturation in Rec.709 and fiddling with black and white level - very primitive and deeply unsatisfactory. Not to mention, regardless of settings it could do not more than process at 8-bit internally so suffered the same issues the current Zidoos and Dunes do at 4K23 12-bit 4:2:2.

I think you'll be right - I won't be satisfied, but then it's not really aimed at my setup. I am however very curious to see how well they implement it.

The Panny 820 does a grand job since they got a handle on the gamma adjustments. In fact the Panny would be a great option for local streaming except for their capitulation to the studios in disabling HD audio for network playback.

I don't believe the X9S ever had the option for BT.2020 SDR output, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

Reactions: jherring69

·
Registered
971 Posts
The Solo was a different proposition altogether - that was HDMI 1.4 (from memory) and certainly didn't output BT.2020 - that "conversion" was simply ramped up saturation in Rec.709 and fiddling with black and white level - very primitive and deeply unsatisfactory. Not to mention, regardless of settings it could do not more than process at 8-bit internally so suffered the same issues the current Zidoos and Dunes do at 4K23 12-bit 4:2:2.

I think you'll be right - I won't be satisfied, but then it's not really aimed at my setup. I am however very curious to see how well they implement it.

The Panny 820 does a grand job since they got a handle on the gamma adjustments. In fact the Panny would be a great option for local streaming except for their capitulation to the studios in disabling HD audio for network playback.

I don't believe the X9S ever had the option for BT.2020 SDR output, but I'd be happy to be corrected.
The x9S did support BT.2020, I’ll find the link.
I was referring the quasi HDR mode on the Pro 4K as an illustration only.

At one point the X9S did output wide color gamut, when it detected a 4K output device. It was reported as a bug, because it was an "undefeatable" default it was a nuisance, any non HDR content, even menus were automatically displayed incorrectly if you chose 4K as an output resolution. It was pulled or modified not to be the default.

·
Registered
555 Posts
SDR.2020 is very useful for projectors when used in conjunction with a video processor (e.g. Lumagen or MadVR) that does dynamic tone mapping.

Of course in the context of Zidoo at the moment only the Lunagen offering is relevant until Madshi’s non htpc offering is available.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
SDR.2020 is very useful for projectors when used in conjunction with a video processor (e.g. Lumagen or MadVR) that does dynamic tone mapping.

Of course in the context of Zidoo at the moment only the Lunagen offering is relevant until Madshi’s non htpc offering is available.
If I watch HDR on my zidoo or appletv, I force my projector to SDR2020 on the projector itself, so I can use a custom curve. If my projector didn't allow forcing SDR2020, I'd need to be able to turn of the HDR flag on the player. I think some projector owners have something like one of those HDFury devices to switch if off.

My Panasonic UB9000 has great projector tone mapping, so I still have the projector on SDR2020, with a standard 2.4 gamma curve

To be honest the whole 4k HDR era has been an utter XXXXshow from end to end, with handshaking, why you need tone mapping, and just general silliness. It doesn't integrate very well.

1341 - 1360 of 2406 Posts