AVS Forum banner

1401 - 1420 of 2406 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
So I feel sheepish. Turns out I had installed the "release" apk from the main zidoo advert/download page and that is version 17.6. A newer Version 17.6.1 from GitHub as found via their support forum has a "Fix 23.976 framerate output". That is the only thing in its one line change log but I did notice the apk for the newer version is much smaller. After installing 17.6.1 the option 23.98 shows in the system settings now. Also want to give a shout out to the add-on "Backup" that allowed me to make a backup of my 17.6 zdmc and restore it after I updated to 17.6.1 (since it required a delete of the original 17.6). I mention just in case someone else figures out they have the older version. See post:
Here Worked great.

They really should really have the newer version on their release download page from their main site. :( Oh well. Search and ye shall find I guess.

Cool - glad it's sorted.

ZDMC has been deprecated and unsupported since they moved to HT2, so I guess that's why it needs a bit of sniffing out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why not just get at the very least a basic Raid 1 NAS?... so a backup is automatically performed everytime you write to it?
Yes that's a reasonable route, but not for me. Here are my reasons:

1. RAID is not a backup. That is a common misconception and there are important differences. RAID is redundancy that protects against HDD failure only.

For example if I do a bunch of management and screw things up, or accidentally erase the drive or something, with a backup available there is something to restore from. With a RAID, the screwups are instantly mirrored in real-time on the redundant drive. Admittedly my main goal for backing up IS to protect against HDD failure, which RAID does, but I'd rather have a backup than RAID.

I've done RAID twice before and the complexity adds its own problems. For example the RAID enclosure itself becomes a single point of failure. If it fails, you lose access to both drives. In some cases RAID can also have weird formatting that prevents it from being usable if you hook up a drive directly to the host.

With separate USB drives, if one HDD enclosure fails, the other is still working. And both drives have formatting native to the host device.

2. Existing capability / Simplicity. The Zidoo already features NAS. Why would I buy another one? I already have one 10TB USB drive. I plugged in the drive and enabled SAMBA. BAM...network attached storage. Simple and clean.

Buying another NAS means spending more money duplicating something I already have. It means another device to power, learn, configure, troubleshoot, and maintain with updates. I see a lot of negatives and very little benefit.

3. Cost. I'm looking at simply adding a second USB drive to the Zidoo. That's much cheaper than a NAS with an equivalent size internal drive.

-------------------

So having been down this road before, this time I'd just like to have a second drive and some app to do a periodic backup from one to the other.
But is the speed of copying/backing up filew.from one HDD to the other (both connected) on Zidoo very slow? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is what I found:

.flac 24-96 stereo. YES (but doesn’t show kHz)
.flac 24-196 stereo. YES (but doesn’t show kHz)
.flac 24-88.2 stereo. YES (at 88.2 kHz)
.flac 24-176,4 stereo. YES (at 176,4 kHz)
.flac 24-96 multichannel. YES (but doesn’t show kHz)

.dsf DSD64 stereo. YES (at 176,4 kHz)
.dsf DSD128 stereo. YES (at 88.2 kHz)
.dsf DSD256 stereo. YES (at 44.1 kHz)

.dsf DSD64 multichannel. NO
SACD ISO multichannel. YES and NO (but only in stereo at 176,4 kHz)

How do I make Zidoo Z9S to play DSD or SACD multichannel music?!

·
Registered
659 Posts
But is the speed of copying/backing up filew.from one HDD to the other (both connected) on Zidoo very slow? Thanks
I have not tested on the Zidoo because my second drive has not arrived yet.

From previous experience on a typical PC, the initial (full) backup takes a lot of time because it is all of the existing content and 5400rpm hard drives are slow. However, from that point on, the incremental backups are fairly quick because it only those files which are new or changed.

It doesn't really matter to me, as it's not a process I need to sit there for. I would schedule it for when I am at work or sleeping.

·
Registered
659 Posts
For some reason my LG TV stopped doing ARC, so there was no audio from my Denon AVR when using the TV as an audio source.

I checked all of the audio, HDMI, ARC, and CEC settings in both the LG TV and the Denon AVR. All were correct.

On a hunch I turned off the Zidoo Z9S, and ARC started working immediately. So unfortunately there is something about the Zidoo being active that prevents my TV's ARC from working, even when the TV is selected as the Audio source and not the Zidoo.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a fix or workaround? I prefer to keep the Zidoo on.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
For some reason my LG TV stopped doing ARC, so there was no audio from my Denon AVR when using the TV as an audio source.

I checked all of the audio, HDMI, ARC, and CEC settings in both the LG TV and the Denon AVR. All were correct.

On a hunch I turned off the Zidoo Z9S, and ARC started working immediately. So unfortunately there is something about the Zidoo being active that prevents my TV's ARC from working, even when the TV is selected as the Audio source and not the Zidoo.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a fix or workaround? I prefer to keep the Zidoo on.

Are you leaving the Denon on the Z9S source input while using the TV's internal sources?

If so, choose an empty input, ie one with no HDMI connected to it, when you watch TV directly otherwise the physical input on the Denon will override ARC.

Reactions: Actionable Mango

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are you leaving the Denon on the Z9S source input while using the TV's internal sources?

If so, choose an empty input, ie one with no HDMI connected to it, when you watch TV directly otherwise the physical input on the Denon will override ARC.
1. No, in the Denon I have the TV selected as the audio source (HDMI OUT/ARC).
2. I'm not really understanding this suggestion. On the Denon, choosing an empty HDMI input instead of the TV HDMI ARC as a source would ensure no audio from the TV because the TV isn't selected as the audio source.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
1. No, in the Denon I have the TV selected as the audio source (HDMI OUT/ARC).
2. I'm not really understanding this suggestion. On the Denon, choosing an empty HDMI input instead of the TV HDMI ARC as a source would ensure no audio from the TV because the TV isn't selected as the audio source.

I had a similar situation with ARC on a Denon with active HDMI inputs overriding ARC and the solution was to choose an "empty" input - but... I think this was an older amp which had ARC but didn't have a dedicated "TV Audio" input..

I just checked on my 7200 connected to a Sammy TV with the Zidoo on one of the HDMI inputs ("Game") and ARC works perfectly with the Zidoo switched on when selecting "TV Audio" as the source.

So have I got this right - you're choosing "TV Audio" as the input source on the Denon and the Zidoo, connected to for example, "DVD" or "Game" or suchlike is overriding ARC when switched on?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had a similar situation with ARC on a Denon with active HDMI inputs overriding ARC and the solution was to choose an "empty" input - but... I think this was an older amp which had ARC but didn't have a dedicated "TV Audio" input..

I just checked on my 7200 connected to a Sammy TV with the Zidoo on one of the HDMI inputs ("Game") and ARC works perfectly with the Zidoo switched on when selecting "TV Audio" as the source.

So have I got this right - you're choosing "TV Audio" as the input source on the Denon and the Zidoo, connected to for example, "DVD" or "Game" or suchlike is overriding ARC when switched on?
I have TV Input selected on the Denon, which is the HDMI OUT/ARC port.
  • If the Zidoo is off, everything works fine.
  • If the Zidoo is on, there is no audio from the TV (or any other type of control, such as power, volume, etc).
    To be clear, it's not overriding the input selection on the Denon--the input selection still says TV Input.
  • Regardless of whether the Zidoo is off or on, all other HDMI inputs have audio just fine (BD player, Apple TV, XBOX) when they are selected as the source.
On further research, I see other people with similar problems:
I'd prefer to keep the Zidoo on 24x7, so I might try one of the solutions posted (a cable that doesn't pass through CEC).

EDIT - Found more information:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/2547497-hdmi-pin-13-remove.html

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have TV Input selected on the Denon, which is the HDMI OUT/ARC port.
  • If the Zidoo is off, everything works fine.
  • If the Zidoo is on, there is no audio from the TV (or any other type of control, such as power, volume, etc).
    To be clear, it's not overriding the input selection on the Denon--the input selection still says TV Input.
  • Regardless of whether the Zidoo is off or on, all other HDMI inputs have audio just fine (BD player, Apple TV, XBOX) when they are selected as the source.
On further research, I see other people with similar problems:
I'd prefer to keep the Zidoo on 24x7, so I might try one of the solutions posted (a cable that doesn't pass through CEC).

That was my next suggestion...The many and varied vagaries of HDMI and CEC it would seem!

I must admit along with turning every possible image processing setting off, the other thing I always do in any setup is turn anything to do with CEC off too - it just never works as you expect!

Lindy do a CEC-less adapter:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/audio-video-c107/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-p7299

(just realised you're in Seattle - so that may not help :))

·
Registered
659 Posts
the other thing I always do in any setup is turn anything to do with CEC off too
I wish I could do that because this isn't the first time I've had a problem with CEC. But I cannot--for some reason on my LG TV, HDMI ARC requires CEC to be enabled, even though they are separate settings.

I have a spare 90 degree HDMI adapter laying around. I'm going to try to just punch pin 13 out of that and see what happens. If it fixes the problem, then I'll punch out pin 13 on the HDMI cable itself.

If none of that works, I'll buy the Lindy adapter. We do have Lindy in the USA.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I wish I could do that because this isn't the first time I've had a problem with CEC. But I cannot--for some reason on my LG TV, HDMI ARC requires CEC to be enabled, even though they are separate settings.

I have a spare 90 degree HDMI adapter laying around. I'm going to try to just punch pin 13 out of that and see what happens. If it fixes the problem, then I'll punch out pin 13 on the HDMI cable itself.

If none of that works, I'll buy the Lindy adapter. We do have Lindy in the USA.

Definitely worth a go... There's always a way :D

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I recently picked up one of these based on recommendations in the Lumagen thread. Must say, I am very impressed. Is there an advantage to ripping a backup copy and converting that to an iso or is it best just to leave it as a folder structure? I am using makeMKV and Imgburn and have just started populating my server with 4K titles. I have some MKV rips but prefer the option for a menu.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I recently picked up one of these based on recommendations in the Lumagen thread. Must say, I am very impressed. Is there an advantage to ripping a backup copy and converting that to an iso or is it best just to leave it as a folder structure? I am using makeMKV and Imgburn and have just started populating my server with 4K titles. I have some MKV rips but prefer the option for a menu.
Stick with MKV on this player if you don’t want to be plagued with lack of forced subs and seamless branching issues. Menus are problematic too and it has trouble with obfuscated playlists.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Better quality playing ISOs from earlier rips

Stick with MKV on this player if you don’t want to be plagued with lack of forced subs and seamless branching issues. Menus are problematic too and it has trouble with obfuscated playlists.
I moved my 4T internal drive from my older Dune player to the Z10 and I think the Z10 is doing a better job of playing BluRay ISO files. The question for me is, do I take my other hi-def DVDs and put them on the hard drive because they will play better there than on my Sony DVD player?

If so, I am wary of converting them to another format like MKV because the files are smaller and I am suspicious of the conversion and how the Z10 will interpret them. Any opionions?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I moved my 4T internal drive from my older Dune player to the Z10 and I think the Z10 is doing a better job of playing BluRay ISO files. The question for me is, do I take my other hi-def DVDs and put them on the hard drive because they will play better there than on my Sony DVD player?

If so, I am wary of converting them to another format like MKV because the files are smaller and I am suspicious of the conversion and how the Z10 will interpret them. Any opionions?
If you stick with ISOs on the Z10 you will come across problematic UHD/HD blu-Ray titles.
There are no issues with MKV, but you need to capture your audio and subtitle preferences.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you stick with ISOs on the Z10 you will come across problematic UHD/HD blu-Ray titles.
There are no issues with MKV, but you need to capture your audio and subtitle preferences.
How does the MKV quality compare with the original? Do you see any improvement between playing on a DVD machine and viewing the converted MKV on the Zidoo?

·
Registered
313 Posts
The MKV Remux has exactly the same PQ and AQ than the original disc, but without extras and menus.

In case you do your own remux, you can choose what to "put inside" the mkv file.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My Zidoo Z9S now and then will stop playing a movie, says hard disk disconnected.. this never happens with my old Dune player.. anyone experience this? Why is the hard disk stopped... ? this happens whether i use the USB or the SATA directly..

Also, what's the newest stable firmware?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My Zidoo Z9S now and then will stop playing a movie, says hard disk disconnected.. this never happens with my old Dune player.. anyone experience this? Why is the hard disk stopped... ? this happens whether i use the USB or the SATA directly..

Also, what's the newest stable firmware?
Perhaps your HDD is starting to fail? Have you run any maintenance tests on it to verify it is OK?

1401 - 1420 of 2406 Posts