AVS Forum banner

1821 - 1840 of 2406 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dear Friends

I would like to buy Zidoo Z9s, but I have got some questions, if you don't mind.

I'm interested in smooth, without stutter, judder, playback of content played from HDD 8TB via USB 3.0 or SATA 3.0 from .mkv 3840x2160p 23.976 or 60 BT.2020 HDR10 10bit YUV 4:2:0 - Remuxes, backup of my physical UHD collection.

1. Will it really play such files smoothly (you might not have the opportunity to test from .mkv, but maybe the full UHD 1:1 releases from BDMV or ISO)?
2. Is HDR BT.2020 10bit displayed correctly? What is in the information, when you check the source during playback?
3. Does it correctly switch framerate 23.976 or 60 (for example in the case of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, which is recorded in 60)?
4. Does it automatically read .srt .sup (PGS) subtitles from a file, if they are in the same directory with the movie and have the same filename?
5. When HDD is connected to USB 3.0, are there any poweroff during using HDD, which will cause pauses during playback?
6. Are Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and DTS: X, DTS-HD MA 7.1 send to the receiver (passthrough) and there is no problem with correctly playing audio?
7. Price of the new NVIDIA Shield Pro 2019 is the same, which one will be better option for above?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
Billy Lynns works correctly for me.

Dolby Atmos and others gets passed.

Shield seems to be pretty nice. I got Zidoo because it had 3d.

I hear of problems with usb 3.0, people having to settle for 2.0.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Billy Lynns works correctly for me.

Dolby Atmos and others gets passed.

Shield seems to be pretty nice. I got Zidoo because it had 3d.

I hear of problems with usb 3.0, people having to settle for 2.0.
But, note that the bit rate support from USB 2.0 is fine for 4K UHD Playback.
Also BDMV/ISO issues with seamless branching, obfuscated playlists and glitchy blu-ray menu playback.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It's probably the JVC sync time - I have the same issue.

You actually want to set 4K23 rather than 24 since most sources will be 23.976, but either way the box will be switching ok and showing the selection dialogue box but the JVC takes so long to sync, you don't see it before the box times out and switches back.

Two ways to do it - either set the mode on a TV which will sync quicker and allow you to see the dialogue, or using the projector, once you switch and the screen blanks, press and then .

Mark your suggestion worked. I want to submit a suggestion to Zidoo to give more time to make a selection for us projector owners. I don’t see the option for 23.976 frame rate so I chose 24 which I believe will automatically play back at 23.976.

Now to determine if forced subtitles are handled properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: markswift2003

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Mark your suggestion worked. I want to submit a suggestion to Zidoo to give more time to make a selection for us projector owners. I don’t see the option for 23.976 frame rate so I chose 24 which I believe will automatically play back at 23.976.

Now to determine if forced subtitles are handled properly.

Indeed - I will do the same - the Dune for example allows approx. 17 seconds I think, which is fine for our projectors.

If you update to the latest firmware, the 23.976 option has been added by default. If you don't want to update, from memory you have to go into developer options and enable "Ignore EDID" and it will then appear.

As long as you set auto framerate on, then 23.976 movies will play back correctly at 23.976 but you'll get a resync between the gui at 24Hz and the movie at 23.976Hz - if you set the gui to 23.976 that's one less opportunity for the PJ to resync.

Forced subs are working fine in later firmware - for MKVs at least, no idea about disc formats as I don't use them.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
...and unless you don't mind 23.976 frame rate issues. I haven't been keeping up, so maybe it's been fixed but you are right it's a pick your poison scenario.
Nope, it's still there...

I honestly don't expect it'll ever get fixed now; development on both Dune and Zidoo seems to have ground to a halt..

Reactions: sprins

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Indeed - I will do the same - the Dune for example allows approx. 17 seconds I think, which is fine for our projectors.

If you update to the latest firmware, the 23.976 option has been added by default. If you don't want to update, from memory you have to go into developer options and enable "Ignore EDID" and it will then appear.

As long as you set auto framerate on, then 23.976 movies will play back correctly at 23.976 but you'll get a resync between the gui at 24Hz and the movie at 23.976Hz - if you set the gui to 23.976 that's one less opportunity for the PJ to resync.

Forced subs are working fine in later firmware - for MKVs at least, no idea about disc formats as I don't use them.

What firmware are you on? My Zidoo says I have the latest firmware when I try to update.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
What firmware are you on? My Zidoo says I have the latest firmware when I try to update.

v2.2.96 is the latest. You can find it here.

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/downloadList/target/2INlOr7QH+1KKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Not sure why, but the Zidoo products almost always report that you're using the latest if you check for updates from the device. You need to check the Zidoo site periodically to see what's new.

FWIW, I usually hold off updating to see if any bugs are reported. It's possible to roll a firmware back if you need too but I'm a little lazy in that regard.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

Not sure why, but the Zidoo products almost always report that you're using the latest if you check for updates from the device. You need to check the Zidoo site periodically to see what's new.

FWIW, I usually hold off updating to see if any bugs are reported. It's possible to roll a firmware back if you need too but I'm a little lazy in that regard.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

I have the x9s... I assume I should use the firmware for the x vs the z....

Also should I upgrade my Zidoo to one of the Z models? Are their benefits to the Z series if I just want to play 4K movies I ripped from my collection to mkv ?

·
Registered
5,110 Posts

Also should I upgrade my Zidoo to one of the Z models? Are their benefits to the Z series if I just want to play 4K movies I ripped from my collection to mkv ?

Yes, don't flash Z9S firmware to the X9S, you'll have a brick. I would use v2.1.28 for the X9s. The newest firmware for the X9S (v2.1.30) is a little buggy.

You can find it here:

https://www.zidoo.tv/Support/downloadList/target/rRwtRFydZ4xKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

I use an X9S too. I don't really see an advantage in buying the Z9S if you own the X9S. The difference is a newer version of the same CPU and and a little faster bus.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Ah! The latest official X9S firmware is v2.1.28 and from memory the box updates automatically over the air for that one.

If you're on an earlier version and it won't update OTA, this is a link to it:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6jmft51wrqw2973/[email protected]/file

If you come across v2.1.30 don't be tempted to upgrade to that one as there are issues - not big ones, just annoyances - menu items swapping order for example.

The only big difference between the X9S and Z9S is the HDR handling - the Z9S allows forced HDR and SDR 2020. It's also marginally faster.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Ah! The latest official X9S firmware is v2.1.28 and from memory the box updates automatically over the air for that one.

If you're on an earlier version and it won't update OTA, this is a link to it:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6jmft51wrqw2973/[email protected]/file

If you come across v2.1.30 don't be tempted to upgrade to that one as there are issues - not big ones, just annoyances - menu items swapping order for example.

The only big difference between the X9S and Z9S is the HDR handling - the Z9S allows forced HDR and SDR 2020. It's also marginally faster.
Yes, exactly... Maybe he's not connected to the web?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I can tell you this: the zidoo has a problem with seamless branching making for some 1:1 copied (UHD) blu-ray images to stutter at branching points.

MKV remux’ seem to be smooth sailing.

I have a z9s, a Dune 4k pro, Nvidia shield TV 2019 (tube) and an Apple TV 4K. There is something wrong with each one.

Z9s (and the other zidoo): seamless branching problem
Dune 4K pro: no HDR10 maxcll/maxfall metadata
Nvidia shield: no correct dynamic range switching (between hdr and sdr)
AppleTV: no HD audio bitstreaming (meaning to Truehd Atmos or DTS:x)

If you only play remuxes I’d say zidoo.
If you don’t mind HDR10 metadata not being passed I’d say Dune.
If you don’t mind watching SDR in HDR I’d say the NVidia Shield 2019 (they say it’s gonna be fixed)
If you just want ease of use I’d say the Apple TV

If you want to make sure get all of ‘em...
I have a Shield 2019 and don't see nay colour space issues. I play both SDR and HDR content and looks correct to me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a Shield 2019 and don't see nay colour space issues. I play both SDR and HDR content and looks correct to me.
The Shield will not always correctly switch between HDR and SDR to match to the content. The problem is acknowledged by nvidia and described here.

The SDR content played in HDR color space indeed doesn’t look bad, but it’s not correct.

·
Registered
63 Posts
New firmware for ZIDOO_Z9S...
Tnx team :)

Model: ZIDOO_Z9S

Version number: v2.3.3

Changelog

(From here, translation via Google Translate.)

System

1. Optimize the problem of the USB 3.0 port even if the device is lost

2. Fix the problem that DTS track music cannot be played

3. Fixed the issue that HIFI music will not play automatically next time

4. Optimize online playback

5. Increase the global press "Information" key to display the current HDMI output information

6. Optimized the problem of abnormal sound after DTS music playback is paused

7. Fix the problem of abnormal sound of Bluetooth device when HDMI output is set to source code output

File manager

1. Fix the problem that the same share name is displayed in NFS

2. Cancel the top navigation category and add the list rotation function

3. Added CD disc insertion tips

4. Optimize sorting function (save separately by path)

5. Added the function of pressing "Popup" to return to the top of the list

6. Fixed the problem that the played video does not prompt the watched icon

Poster wall

1. Optimize the display of the details interface and the movie video

2. Optimize segmented video scanning

3. Optimize scanning to solve the problem that stopping scanning during scanning may cause unmatched videos to not match properly when continuing scanning

4. Solve the problem that the child lock set is not displayed synchronously after the movie rating is initially set

5. Increase the HDR corner mark (scanned videos will not be displayed)

6. Optimize file name recognition

7. Optimize application stability

8. Optimize bracket processing for title recognition

9. Added trailer filter filtering, the word 'trailer' in the file name will no longer be scanned

10. Optimize the NFS mount method

Music player

1. Optimize folder browsing function

2. Add CD playback function (requires external optical drive)

3. Optimize the sorting function

4. Optimize the calculation method of scanning progress

5. Optimize track identification for SACD and CUE albums

6. Improved the interface of obtaining track list, and solved the problem that CUE / DSF track list cannot be obtained by the mobile phone

7. Modify the time display format of CUE to keep the same with SACD

8. Optimize focus control logic to solve the problem of focus flicker

9. Modify the recording method of the playlist to solve the problem that the last song in the random play mode will be rerandom.

10. Added screen saver function in play details interface

11. Fixed an issue where the list interface displayed an error after the grid layout removed the list

12. Fixed the problem of getting albums when playing music from file manager

13. Fixed the problem that the lyrics could not be closed without playing the details interface

Local player

1. The problem that the optimized bit rate is displayed incorrectly

2. Fix the problem that the movie name is displayed incorrectly

3. Add ZOOM function

4. Increase the video ratio

5. Fixed the issue that Polish subtitles are displayed in Portuguese

6. Optimized subtitle download function

7. Optimize the front panel USB icon display

8. Optimize the problem that DVD cannot select chapters

9. Optimize ASS subtitle display

Blu-ray navigation

1. Added the function of subtitle track list displayed by shortcut keys

2. Optimize subtitle download function

Mobile APP (need to update mobile app v.1.5.3)

1. Add audio offset setting in the setting interface

2. Folder browsing function has been added to the music device interface

3. Application interface adds sorting function

4. Fixed the problem that the same device is repeatedly added to the music device interface

5. Fixed the issue that the CUE / DSF track list cannot be obtained from the temporary list songs

6. Optimize the problem that the application interface icon is not displayed

7. Optimize poster wall interface display

8. Solve the problem that the file management is affected by the search bar, and it will return to the upper directory when rescanning SMB or NFS

9. File manager adds list refresh function

10. File Manager adds CD-ROM drive list

➖➖➖➖➖➖

Posted on

@ZidooNews

Android TV Box:

Zidoo #Z9S

#Firmware

Version: 2.3.3

Stage: #Beta

Package: #OTA

ChangeLog

Gofile Mirror: https://gofile.io/?c=0y07dd

How to upgrade: http://*******/2RgPFA6

MD5 Hash: 2E5BE84FB560E9AAC3B3AB64ACB8F62E

«Θαρσείν Χρή Ταχ’ Αύριον Εσται Αμεινον»

·
Registered
861 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of changes and improvements.
Has anyone in the US installed this firmware yet? If so what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any ideas why I would lose all posters and am left with camera reels? If I go to "change Image" all of the posters and backdrop options/variations are there, but if i select any populate only for a second and revert to the generic camera reel.

I am unable to load my backup - I have it, but i think it restores to a different user name (which i dont remember) on my nas. Not entirely sure what changed, most likely something i was doing with the network not the zidoo.

Any thoughts?

1821 - 1840 of 2406 Posts