AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, based on some of your feedback my Polk M70s, M30s and CS2 are on their way. Problem is, I never decided on a receiver so the boxes will be useless.

Anyway, was looking at the pioneer 919, but got many suggestions for the Denon 590/790 or Onkyo 507/607.

I will be hooking up an HD DVR via HDMI, DVD via HDMI and a Wii. That is it for now. I have an iPhone to play music and it would be nice to have uber-compatibility but that will likely only be 5-10% of my listening experience. The rest is TV and some movies.

Planning on setting the system up and then deciding whether to get a low end sub.

Thanks for all the help deciphering between these and any others I should consider. I have never bought refurbished but many seem to suggest it for higher end stuff so feel free to suggest if you have had luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a refurbished marantz sr5002 from a4l and it's a solid unit. It has tons of power and even though it can't decode newer hd formats it can pass them through so if you have a blu-ray player that decodes hd audio its no biggie. For $350 its a steal

I have it driving a pair of monitor audio rx6's with no problems at all. It even has pre-outs which are hard to come by for anything below 500

BTW I have had this thing for over a year now and no sign of it dying on me or anything lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lurkeage. It is a tempting deal but I have expanded the speaker budget with the same thinking that a sale is too good to pass up and I was hoping to keep the receiver between $200-300 MAX.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You're going to have a bit of a problem finding the 919 in stock, at least online. Most places are out of stock of the 919 and the 1019.

Amazon currently has the 1019, but at its MSRP. If you're interested in going in for that deal, then consider the higher 9040 which is on sale at Amazon, and the price comes to JUST a bit more than the 1019. The 9040 is an Elite VSX-21 clone.

All the best choosing your receiver.

·
Registered
29,316 Posts
For $15 over the 1019 its a no brainer to get the 9040.

If you want to look at other brands, the Denon 1910 can be had under $400. It doesn't have the built in iPhone connectivity like the Pioneers though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I am sure I would love the 9040, my setup would never take advantage of it and so why go in for something like that when I would only use the features of a $300 receiver? I have looked at the 1910 for under $400 but I even think that is more than my setup requires.

Would these receivers really provide so much better performance to just pump out TV and movies and some gaming when I could use that extra $200 to get a low end sub?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I like my Wii, I play it less and less everyday and I don't need the graphics to wow me with any upscaling. My DVD player is old and likely is in need of being replaced by a blu-ray so assuming that comes in the next 12 months, why get upscaling right?

So probably saving on that looking at a sub makes more sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.