AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a home theatre system. I will have this in a bedroom. I have a samsung pn50b550 and a samsung bd-1600 blu ray player. I was looking at spending 500 or less on a receiver. I don't know anything about speakers so can you guys reccomend something? Thanks

Btw how good are these models:

Pioneer vsx-1019ah-k

Pioneer vsx-9040txh

Denon avr-1910

How about Yamaha, Harman Kardon or onkyo?

·
Registered
750 Posts
All three receivers that you've listed are pretty solid choices. The Pioneer 9040 is somewhat of an older model, though, and I believe the Denon is about to be replaced pretty soon by new models.

Harman Kardon receivers are very good and well built, but at MSRP for new receivers, they're a bit pricier for their features offered, but are known for being very pure in power. If you're interested in them, check out their Refurb Outlet on ebay, you can get some nice prices on the AVR-254 and AVR-354.

The Onkyo TX-SR607 and RC-160 are also another choice to look at.

Does your $500 budget include speakers, or do you have a separate speaker budget? How big's your room, and are you looking for a 5.1 setup?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18144531

All three receivers that you've listed are pretty solid choices. The Pioneer 9040 is somewhat of an older model, though, and I believe the Denon is about to be replaced pretty soon by new models.

Harman Kardon receivers are very good and well built, but at MSRP for new receivers, they're a bit pricier for their features offered, but are known for being very pure in power. If you're interested in them, check out their Refurb Outlet on ebay, you can get some nice prices on the AVR-254 and AVR-354.

The Onkyo TX-SR607 and RC-160 are also another choice to look at.

Does your $500 budget include speakers, or do you have a separate speaker budget? How big's your room, and are you looking for a 5.1 setup?

Thanks for the help. I want a decent system. I think a 5.1 setup would be enough for a bedroom. I don't really know what to get. I want to spend around 600-1000.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18144540

Thanks for the help. I want a decent system. I think a 5.1 setup would be enough for a bedroom. I don't really know what to get. I want to spend around 600-1000.

A home theater in a box will be your best bet at that price point. Even then, this may be above your budget.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18144540

Sorry to ask again, but just a bit more clarification. Do you mean $600-$1000 for the receiver and the speakers, or is this another $600-$1000 for the speakers?

Have you had any experience with speakers before? It'd be nice to know your tastes/preferences, as speakers are all designed and sound different. Will you be using this more for movies? Music preferences?

Just off the top of my head, some speakers to take a look at:

SVS SCS-01M speakers (~$750)

Energy Take Classics ($200) + eD/SVS/Hsu/Bic/PA Subwoofer (~$200-$350)

Aperion Intimus 4B system ($1000 shipped)

TweakCityAudio WAF-1 6.0 Package ($600 shipped) + eD/SVS/Hsu/Bic/PA Subwoofer (~$200-$350)

AV123 ELT525 5.1 package ($1200 shipped, probably overkill for bedroom)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18144555

Sorry to ask again, but just a bit more clarification. Do you mean $600-$1000 for the receiver and the speakers, or is this another $600-$1000 for the speakers?

Have you had any experience with speakers before? It'd be nice to know your tastes/preferences, as speakers are all designed and sound different. Will you be using this more for movies? Music preferences?

Just off the top of my head, some speakers to take a look at:

SVS SCS-01M speakers

Energy Take Classics

Aperion Intimus 4B system

I was thinking of spending 600-1000 for speakers and a receiver. I will be moving into an apartment so i don't want a htib. I want to be able to add as i go. I watch a lot of movies and i have never owned any type of home audio so I'm new to this stuff. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18144558

I was thinking of spending 600-1000 for speakers and a receiver. I will be moving into an apartment so i don't want a htib. I want to be able to add as i go. I watch a lot of movies and i have never owned any type of home audio so I'm new to this stuff. Thanks for your help.

Got it. I edited my post with some prices and more options. I highly recommend the TCA WAF-1 setup, if rosewood is okay with you. the WAF-1 does a fantastic job at reproducing vocals and dialog, and has great imaging to boot.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18144570

Also what kind of receiver would be suitable for my needs? Are the ones i listed overkill?

It really depends on your equipment, but I would say, with your budget and room size, you should be okay with a slightly cheaper one. Just make sure it has a HDMI repeater so you can get the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks that Blu-Ray offers. With that in mind, check out the Denon 1610 or the Harman Kardon AVR-254 Refurb for receivers under $300.

Since your room is on the small end, I think there's a chance the speakers I mentioned may be overkill. Make sure that you take a look at the speaker dimensions and make sure you have room for them! The Energy Take Classic is probably the smallest of the lot. The WAF-1 are small, but 5 or 6 of them in a 10x10 room may be somewhat intimidating. A 8" or 10" sub should do fine in your room.

Do you ever plan to move to a bigger place in the forseeable future? If so, you may be interested in a 3.1 setup right now, and buy two speakers later as surrounds. It's really your call, as I think the surround channels help a lot with movies.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18146260

It really depends on your equipment, but I would say, with your budget and room size, you should be okay with a slightly cheaper one. Just make sure it has a HDMI repeater so you can get the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks that Blu-Ray offers. With that in mind, check out the Denon 1610 or the Harman Kardon AVR-254 Refurb for receivers under $300.

Since your room is on the small end, I think there's a chance the speakers I mentioned may be overkill. Make sure that you take a look at the speaker dimensions and make sure you have room for them! The Energy Take Classic is probably the smallest of the lot. The WAF-1 are small, but 5 or 6 of them in a 10x10 room may be somewhat intimidating. A 8" or 10" sub should do fine in your room.

Do you ever plan to move to a bigger place in the forseeable future? If so, you may be interested in a 3.1 setup right now, and buy two speakers later as surrounds. It's really your call, as I think the surround channels help a lot with movies.

I'm leaning towards a pioneer reciever. I'm looking at the vsx-23txh, vsx-21txh and the vsx-1019ah-k. As far as speaker's i think i'm going to go with the energy take classics. I need to pick a sub. So which sub should i go with? Also which of those receivers is better for my application.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Typical rule of thumb is to spend a 2:1 ratio speakers:receiver. If your speakers are $1000, you shouldn't be spending more than $500 on the receiver.

However, the Take Classics have been heavily discounted from their MSRP, so this calculation doesn't really work. The Takes are easy to overdrive, though. That being said, the receivers you listed are solid, but you do want it to be proportionately correct. IMO the Pioneers are not really worth it when compared to the Denon 1610, 1910, and HK AVR-254, and the Elite and 1019 are too much for your setup. The Denon also has an arguably better calibration software. Don't let the cosmetics of the Pioneer get you (although they are attractive!).

If you direct your money towards a better sub, I think you'll be much happier! The F12 is a good budget sub (I have the H100, which is basically the same except for cosmetics), but is sometimes boomy. With your budget you should shoot for a tight, accurate 10" sub for your room. Check out the HSU STF-2 (on sale right now) and the eD A2-300 .

BTW, don't forget to save some cash for speaker wire !

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18151350

Typical rule of thumb is to spend a 2:1 ratio speakers:receiver. If your speakers are $1000, you shouldn't be spending more than $500 on the receiver.

However, the Take Classics have been heavily discounted from their MSRP, so this calculation doesn't really work. The Takes are easy to overdrive, though. That being said, the receivers you listed are solid, but you do want it to be proportionately correct. IMO the Pioneers are not really worth it when compared to the Denon 1610, 1910, and HK AVR-254, and the Elite and 1019 are too much for your setup. The Denon also has an arguably better calibration software. Don't let the cosmetics of the Pioneer get you (although they are attractive!).

If you direct your money towards a better sub, I think you'll be much happier! The F12 is a good budget sub (I have the H100, which is basically the same except for cosmetics), but is sometimes boomy. With your budget you should shoot for a tight, accurate 10" sub for your room. Check out the HSU STF-2 (on sale right now) and the eD A2-300 .

BTW, don't forget to save some cash for speaker wire !

I would actually prefer a 10" sub. I'm big on car audio and i think a 10" sub has better quality. As far as the elite and 1019 being too much what do you mean? I want to be able to expand my system later. I will be moving to a bigger place in a year or so. Btw thanks for your all your help.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj281 /forum/post/18151566

I would actually prefer a 10" sub. I'm big on car audio and i think a 10" sub has better quality. As far as the elite and 1019 being too much what do you mean? I want to be able to expand my system later. I will be moving to a bigger place in a year or so. Btw thanks for your all your help.

What I mean by too much is like putting in a V8 engine in a Honda Civic. ;-) Perhaps not as extreme, but it's just you won't be taking advantage of all the higher end component has to offer. However, since you're planning on moving to a bigger place, it makes it less worse. The receiver will still be hindered by the speakers, though. Remember, while the Take Classic are terrific speakers for what they are, they are ultimately still smaller satellite speakers that won't be able to expand like larger bookshelves.

I know some other guy might come in and suggest going with a higher quality 3.1 right now and getting two surround speakers later, but like I said earlier, it's not a bad choice, but the surround channels do make a difference for movies.

The HSU STF-2 is a 10" sub, and the A2-300 is a 12" sub. Both will easily outperform the F12, but of course, they cost more as well! The F12 isn't a bad subwoofer by any means.

Sorry for sounding so confusing - this is the hard part about high def....there are a lot of choices, and most are not incorrect, just a lot of possibilities!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg /forum/post/18151585

What I mean by too much is like putting in a V8 engine in a Honda Civic. ;-) Perhaps not as extreme, but it's just you won't be taking advantage of all the higher end component has to offer. However, since you're planning on moving to a bigger place, it makes it less worse. The receiver will still be hindered by the speakers, though. Remember, while the Take Classic are terrific speakers for what they are, they are ultimately still smaller satellite speakers that won't be able to expand like larger bookshelves.

I know some other guy might come in and suggest going with a higher quality 3.1 right now and getting two surround speakers later, but like I said earlier, it's not a bad choice, but the surround channels do make a difference for movies.

The HSU STF-2 is a 10" sub, and the A2-300 is a 12" sub. Both will easily outperform the F12, but of course, they cost more as well! The F12 isn't a bad subwoofer by any means.

Sorry for sounding so confusing - this is the hard part about high def....there are a lot of choices, and most are not incorrect, just a lot of possibilities!

If i go with the elite and the classics will it not sound as good? Is that what you mean. Will they sound better with the 1610, 1910 or 254?

·
Registered
490 Posts
no they will sound good. what he is saying that they will not sound any better than if you go with a cheaper receiver. There is no reason to buy a real nice receiver if you dont have real nice speakers.

the denon will be able to power your speakers fine and will be cheaper

i would get this: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

with the take 5 pack and a $350 sub from one of the ID brands and your good to go

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.