AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased my first two HDTV's - one being a toshiba 32RV525R, and the other vizio sv471xvt.

I've gotten the displays to look the best I can with just playing around with the settings manually, but I want to know if better can be done. not wanting to spend 300$ for someone to come tune my displays, what can i do for a calibration disc?

I have one blu ray player being my ps3, and several dvd players. will there be a huge difference between getting a dvd vs blu ray in a calibration disc? also, either way.. which calibration disc should i go with? really looking for something with a good explanation of what to do, whether its on the dvd or in a manual, i dont want to get something thats meant to use with calibration tools.. im wanting something as basic and/or user friendly as possible.

Thanks for any help

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
How cheap do you want to stay?

If you have DVD-only systems, I recommend you get a calibration DVD, specifically Avia II, for that.

For BD, I recommend the Spears and Munsil BD disc, however if the PS3 is your only BD player, that is compatible with the AVC-HD format, and you can burn a regular DVD from your computer of the free AVS AVC-HD calibration disc. That way you only have to buy the one calibration DVD, which saves you money, instead of buying both the Avia II DVD and the S&M BD disc.

Then just check the PS3 thread and make sure you have the settings right for that, YCbCr superwhite on, etc, the AVS HD calibration disc will help with that.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am i missing a guide on how to calibrate or how to do each section of the AVS calibration dvd? i see a bunch of mashed up information that when trying to just read and calibrate doesnt make a lot of sense to me.. please link if there is one

also i dont want to spend more than 50$ - to be honest my vizio looks great just from me tweaking some settings, but my toshiba is looking pretty bad.

im looking for something VERY user friendly, or a guide thats user friendly

·
Registered
28 Posts
Beware of buying a good looking calibration disc and spending >$30 when all it is a just setting the colors right and nothing else.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a Toshiba 40RV525U. Sounds like a similar TV to yours. I could not get the picture to look decent. I used the DVE Basics calibration disks. Perhaps with a light meter and a full calibration it could be calibrated, but that will cost you at least $130 and is rather compilcated.

To calibrate more than contrast and brightness with a calibration disk you need to have a blue filter. They come with the comercial calibration disks like DVE or Avia.

I had my Toshiba connected to my Directv receiver, and also had a Vizio connnected to the same receiver so I was seeing the exact same content on both TVs. the Vizio always looked much better. And it is a cheap Vizio TV.

My advice is exchange the Toshiba for something else. The higher end Toshiba's are probably OK, but the low end ones are pretty bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 /forum/post/18226229

I had a Toshiba 40RV525U. Sounds like a similar TV to yours. I could not get the picture to look decent. I used the DVE Basics calibration disks. Perhaps with a light meter and a full calibration it could be calibrated, but that will cost you at least $130 and is rather compilcated.

To calibrate more than contrast and brightness with a calibration disk you need to have a blue filter. They come with the comercial calibration disks like DVE or Avia.

I had my Toshiba connected to my Directv receiver, and also had a Vizio connnected to the same receiver so I was seeing the exact same content on both TVs. the Vizio always looked much better. And it is a cheap Vizio TV.

My advice is exchange the Toshiba for something else. The higher end Toshiba's are probably OK, but the low end ones are pretty bad.

i dont exactly consider the model i have to be a low end one exactly, 32inch 1080p normally 600$ retail, i got it for 379 on sale through newegg, but yeah it does look rather crappy. it could just be the satellite feed coming to it, as its not HD. the tv looks great on my ps3/xbox, so that might be it.

im just getting more and more confused about calibration, i mean when you buy a tv and read that you should calibrate it, buy a calibration disc.. then to find out it only adjusts the colors and you cant do anything beyond that exactly, its annoying to hear.

i might have to shell out the 300$ one day to get both tv's done, no way in hell id pay 300$ per tv though, thats a waste..

i actually have a local tv place right across the way from me, but im not sure i want to trust the quality in service they provide :/ can anyone post any questions that i can ask them if i call to ask about calibration?

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukey3 /forum/post/18226897

i dont exactly consider the model i have to be a low end one exactly, 32inch 1080p normally 600$ retail, i got it for 379 on sale through newegg, but yeah it does look rather crappy. it could just be the satellite feed coming to it, as its not HD. the tv looks great on my ps3/xbox, so that might be it.

im just getting more and more confused about calibration, i mean when you buy a tv and read that you should calibrate it, buy a calibration disc.. then to find out it only adjusts the colors and you cant do anything beyond that exactly, its annoying to hear.

i might have to shell out the 300$ one day to get both tv's done, no way in hell id pay 300$ per tv though, thats a waste..

i actually have a local tv place right across the way from me, but im not sure i want to trust the quality in service they provide :/ can anyone post any questions that i can ask them if i call to ask about calibration?

Sounds like you've answered your own question. If the TV looks good

with the PS3 but not with the standard feed satellite calibration won't

do much. You should convert to HD satellite.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
There are HD standards and SD standards.

There are some differences in the way color is converted between the two.

Black and White are still the same though.

A calibration disc will help you set brightness (Black level) and contrast (White level). I may also help you adjust tint and color (provided the disc comes with a blue filter).

Using a SD DVD on the PS3 should give you the same results as a BD provided you are outputting the DVD 1080p. So if you can only swing one disc buy a SD DVD (also you can download a pretty decent BD called the AVS Rec.709 disc on here, do a search). Results from a SD and BD should agree on a PS3.

If your TV does screw up the conversion of SD YCC to RGB, nothing you can do about it. But I'd bet a good basic calibration of setting the black level correctly, and getting your color/tint in the ballpark will do alot to get a better image.

Also to note, generally speaking the warmest setting for color temp will be closest to correct, so make that change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill be getting the dish HD package as soon as i move, so does anyone have any questions that i can ask my local tv place in case they do calibration? any questions to show that they are better than the geek squad which is the only other place near me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts