AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off... I'm pretty new to buying a sub, so I dont know much about anything.

What I have:

Reciever with sub pre out

4 good floor speakers

Need:

Hard hitting sub for only music, not going to be using for HT

What I am looking for is to spend $400 or so on everything I'd need for a sub. This sub will be used only for MUSIC, no HT. So I am mainly looking for hard hitting. I dont need quality, Im willing to sacrifice quality for more power and/or hard hitting.

Size of the room is pretty big, but I'd rather just get one good sub because I'll only be here for a year.

From what I have read and my previous post, my conditions dont need a SVS or Hsu sub. I got some recommendations, but I really dont know what I'm doing here, so I need it basically spelled out for me. Couple people said get a pro amp and a 12 in woofer. :confused: :confused:

Well, I need specific choices to pick from. Which amp, which sub would be the best for my needs, which box, or if I should build one, and the approximate prices of each. Like I said, $400 ish is my budget and I'm looking for something hard hitting for music.

I had thought of getting a crown xls 202 amp and an alpine type-r sub (car sub) with a ported box. It would put out about 500W rms. This amounted to about $450. Is this the most efficient way to spend my budget? Keep in mind again, I'd rather have hard hitting raw power and ****** sounding bass than clean bass with less power. Thanks a lot for any help!!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I hear a lot of people asking about using car subs in their home but personally I don't think it it's a great idea. If you are looking to incorporate the sound of a car audio system in your house, using car audio products will not give you the same sound due to the difference in acoustic anomalies. I suggest you go to a place like Parts Express where they sell speakers and baffles for home use and do it your self. There are many members of this forum who have built their own subs and if you give them the details of what you need they will be more then happy to help. Good luck.

Ian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Details eh? well, here they are

budget: $400ish

use: all music only- parties

looking for: hard hitting

dont need: high quality

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Sounds like another new student on his way to school... :)

As I said in another couple of recent threads, screw the sub, just buy some big Cerwin Vega or MTX floorstanding DJ-style speakers that make big boom for not much money. Hook them to an amp and annoy your neighbors. Don't spend $1000 on a sub that someone will spill beer on. IMHO, this is the wrong crowd to get advice for this sort of application - most folks here actually care what the audio sounds like... ;)

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv

As I said in another couple of recent threads, screw the sub, just buy some big Cerwin Vega or MTX floorstanding DJ-style speakers that make big boom for not much money. Hook them to an amp and annoy your neighbors. Don't spend $1000 on a sub that someone will spill beer on. IMHO, this is the wrong crowd to get advice for this sort of application - most folks here actually care what the audio sounds like... ;)

billybob: You hit the nail right on the head with a spice of humor to boot. If you're ever up this way let me know, I'll buy you a drink. Cheers!

Ian :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
It's a deal! Unfortunately, I don't get to the NE very often - I tend to stick to the West Coast. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv

Haha, I know, and that is why I am having trouble finding what I want. I'll take the floorstanding speakers into consideration, but like I said, I already have good floor speakers. I want to get as much raw sub power out of my money and I am wondering what will get me that. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I looked into the sonosub, and that seems interesting. Would that provide me with what I am looking for? How much apporximately does it cost to build one of those?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Go to Best Buy and squeeze them for a deal on the new Klipsch Sub-12. Lists there at $499 but you can usually get 10% off that. Very much improved over their old Synergy series subs. I have had mine since they first came out (bought it due to the info provided by the Klipsch designer on the Klipsch site....right from the BB backroom when it came in, never made it out to the floor, lol) and have been very impressed with its performance for both HT and music. I watch a lot of concert DVD's and this sub does its job!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hey, what speakers are you running right now?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.