AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TV but no speakers and the built in tv speakers suck

Not really looking to spend over 750. As long as it sounds decent and not like total trash I'll be happy.

I will be using this for mostly gaming, but some movie watching as well.

I saw these recommended in an earlier thread with mostly favorable feedback on them.

Polk Audio RM 95 5CH Satellite Speaker System - 250$ on newegg (d'oh, can't include hyperlink yet.)

What else would I need to go with this? 1 subwoofer, and a receiver, correct? (any recommendations on those?)

Really appreciate any input or advice you gurus could give me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I went ahead and impulse bought the aforementioned speakers. Lol, whoops.

Still looking for recommendations on subwoofer/receiver. And anything else is also appreciated..

·
Registered
19,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delita /forum/post/19538518

Well, I went ahead and impulse bought the aforementioned speakers. Lol, whoops.

Still looking for recommendations on subwoofer/receiver. And anything else is also appreciated..

That was a little quick there - not even Thanksgiving yet.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That leaves about 200 for a receiver and 200 for a sub. That's cuttin it really close.

Denon AVR-391 At Crutchfield for $199 (thats just the first place I looked)

BIC Formula F-12 Subwoofer (many online stores for less than $200)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01
That was a little quick there - not even Thanksgiving yet.
Haha oh well. Not really looking for the deal of the century. I saw they had received good reviews and 250 doesn't exactly break the bank either

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19541157

If you can spend $600 on a receiver and subwoofer you will be handsomely rewarded

- Denon AVR-1611

- Bic f12 subwoofer

I was thinking about getting a cheaper subwoofer..I mean, I don't really plan on blasting stuff

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black

cheap, only 100$. I can afford the bic 12 (and the 600$ setup you just mentioned), just wondering if it's really worth it.

As for the receiver, it looks like i'll have to do a lot more research unfortunately

is there a big difference between the Denon 391, 591 , and 1611??

Again really appreciate the help you guys.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by how much positive impact a better sub can have in a home theater. Skimping on the sub, especially going with one of the piss-poor low-budget Polk subs, is a VERY bad idea.

The Polk PSW10 is simply horrible...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19541307

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by how much positive impact a better sub can have in a home theater. Skimping on the sub, especially going with one of the piss-poor low-budget Polk subs, is a VERY bad idea.

Okay, that's all I needed to hear. I'll go for the Bic sub.

Now for the receiver..

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19541307

I agree 100% with this. Everyone has a budget they want to stick to or even stay under, but cheaping out on a sub is a bad bad idea.

Better subs do amazing things to round out a home theater.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delita /forum/post/19541317

Okay, that's all I needed to hear. I'll go for the Bic sub.

Now for the receiver..

Try to find used or factory refurbished. I just got an Onkyo TX-SR707 for $300...this thing was 3x that price last year...the only "shortcoming" it has is no support for 3D but I have no interest in that. Buying used gets you so much more!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19541807

You can get that 707 from shoponkyo.com for $335 shipped with 1 year warranty. 20% off on refurb products for Thanksgiving plus $10 discount for first time club onkyo purchase..
http://www.shoponkyo.com/

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?...il=1&ext_war=0

ok cool, I think I'll get that one then if it'll be sufficient and compatible with what I have so far. Thanks a ton for the advice guys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also, anyone have any idea how many hdmi cables I might need for this new setup? will there be any other cords I need to buy so hook up the speakers and stuff? (from what I understand the actual speakers will be wireless? or am i totally wrong here) I bought the polk rm 95 speakers btw

(talking about the 5 speakers, subwoofer, & receiver)

And once everything arrives, I'll be plugging my 360 into the receiver with an hdmi cable, correct? Then the receiver feeds into the TV with another hdmi cable?

(sorry, ..this'll be my first receiver so I really don't know what I'm doing)

·
Registered
163 Posts
You will need speaker wire, not HDMI cables, to hook each of the 5 speakers to the receiver.

Then one HDMI cable to hook the 360 up to the receiver and one from the receiver to the TV. For each additional component (ie. Cable Box, Bluray) you will need an additional HDMI cable to the receiver.

You will also need a sub-woofer cable to hook the receiver to the sub.

Goto: www.monoprice.com to buy all the cables, they are a awesome website that will save you a ton of money versus best-buy or even walmart. Not to mention the quality of their stuff is top notch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.