AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to download my movies to my HDD and I am currently using AnyDVD to De-encrypt and Media Show Espresso to trans-code because of the GPU acceleration it offers. It is the only product i know of that has an allowance for ATI GPU encoding assistance to relieve pressure from the CPU. The problem is that the GPU acceleration is only an option on trans-coding to PS3, IPod, and PSP. The Customize option will allow you to pick other formats but does not seem to support GPU acceleration or offloading. Are there other programs out there that take advantage of GPU encoding. I know Nvidia has Badaboom, but i would like to stick with ATI. Also, would my encoding time improve if i upgraded to a 5770 with more shade processors. I was going to use media portal because it seems so well laid out, but it also seems complicated and i don't believe it works with PS3. In case you are wandering, I am using an HTPC to stream content o the PS3 and i am hoping to match its up-scaling quality. I will also be purchasing a 1920 x 1080p HD monitor and want things to look good there as well. Any help or a possible point in the right direction.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I gues that i am asking stupid questions, but i have been unable to find the answers with google or on AVS. I have even gone so far as to write a contributing editor of Guru3D. Any advice is appreciated or even a point in the right direction. I used Media ? Espresso which supposedly uses gpu offloading of encoding, but would not say that i was that impressed. I was disapointed to find that if you dont transcode to the format for either a game console or Ipod and instead use the custom featurefor choosing formats like WMA or MP4, you do not get the GPU acceleration help option. Last night i loaded Media Portal and will experiment with it, but i don't think it will output to my PS3.

·
Registered
537 Posts
if you are dealing with DVD only, and not Blu Ray, I would not worry about transcoding at all. If I remember right, the PS3 can handle DVD folder rips perfectly fine, and no transcoding means it will rip as fast as the drive can read.. wich is pretty quick.

For BRD, thats another story, since the PS3 doesn't play nice with most of the current formats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd go with zryder's answer. If you have a big HDD, go ahead and rip it all without transcoding. If HDD space is important for you, do it with CloneDVD to have them at least fit into a single layer DVD. You will notice almost no quality degradation. You just have to remove all languages you don't need.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ripped a SD version of Transformers to my HTPC and streamed it to my PC and the quality does not match just playing the DVD in the PS3. Is this what i should expect from this process or is there a way to preserve the quality of the DVD for streaming. I am currently streaming through Windows Media Center and TVersity because bothe formats play on PS3. MEdia Show Espresso also has an encdoer that rips to PS3 ready format. I have yet to look at the quality of that rip. What can i do to maintain quality. I have also recently installed media portal and was hoping to use instead of the other two. Should i expect similar quality from Media portal. BTW, i do plan on ripping BR movies as well. Cant AnyDvd rip those just like a normal DVD?

THank you very much for responding.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Did you compress the image? I rip dvd's and transcode it to my daughters 360 and it looks just like the dvd. Her tv is only a 32" 1080I LCD and isn't great but we've never noticed a difference.

Rip the dvd and play it on the same machine, is the quality the same?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts