AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my 54 panny hooked up with a BD-60 blu ray player.

sorry if this is a dumb question, but should a blu-ray movie fill the whole screen without having to use my zoom feature of the TV?

example: the dark knight BRD, most scenes have black bars on top, and some scenes (like wide shots of the city) just automatically fill out the screen.

Is there a setting I've messed up somewhere?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Movies have different aspect ratios. If the movie's aspect doesn't exactly match the aspect of your display, you'll have to choose how it looks best to you. Zoomed and possibly cropping off the sides, or with black bars. I can't explain why some scenes would fit differently, unless it is the title sequence, which is sometimes left in a different aspect on DVD's/blurays. Do you have the aspect setting on the display at Set By Program, or the Panny equivalent? If so, you might want to try changing it, for the Bluray input.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the dark night is a wierd bluray because it uses 2 aspect ratios.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Movies are in different aspect Ratio's. You may not notice this as the Movie theater adjusts the curtains around the screen to cover up part of the white screen. Your 16x9 HDTV has a 1.78:1 aspect ratio. Any move in THAT aspect ratio or 1.85:1(Because it's pretty close) will fill the whole screen. The problem comes with all the movies that are in other Aspect Ratio's like 2.40:1, or 2.45:1 and others. The Blu-Ray Batman Movie is a Exception. Some parts of the movie was shot using IMAX. So the Producers of that Disc decided that instead of keeping the SAME aspect ratio throughout the film, to go ahead and use the IMAX parts also to fill the whole screen. This is why you have both in that Movie. You'll also notice that ALL of the movies will use a full 16x9 screen for the Main Menu's, and then of course go and use whatever aspect ratio that movie was shot in and shown at the theater. Most all DVD's and Blu-Ray boxes on the back will tell you what aspect ratio the film was shot at. So if it's 1.78:1 OR 1.85:1, it'll fill the whole screen, anything else well have bars on the top and bottom, size varies depending on the exact aspect ratio.

Your 16x9 HDTV is a fixed screen size, as is a 16x10 wide screen PC Monitor. The ONLY solution to this problem is to pretty much do what the theaters do, using a Front Projector Setup and a Adjustable screen of some sort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone, that sums it up pretty well!

makes me wonder why the companies just don't process the discs to fit the 16:9 aspect, and not how it was shot...or maybe that just my preference.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I kinda wish there was a standard that all movies were filmed in so we wouldn't have those black bars. That's kinda one of the reasons why I wanted a 16x9 widescreen to get rid of those bars that we all see when we watch a widescreen movie on a 4:3 tv but I didn't know that they would still be there even with a 16x9 HDTV until I researched and understood aspect ratio

I still feel that 16x9 HDTV's should be like computer monitors to where there are horizontal and vertical settings to adjust the picture for different aspect ratio's so that it always fills the screen even though it would be slightly stretched. I would much rather prefer a slightly stretched screen then seeing those bars.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissmo /forum/post/16929026

makes me wonder why the companies just don't process the discs to fit the 16:9 aspect, and not how it was shot...or maybe that just my preference.....

I want to SEE the movie as it was shown in the theater. I don't want a HACKED up movie just so it'll fill the 16x9 screen!!! I was all against the so called FULL SCREEN versions also where about HALF the movie was cut off and then PAN & SCAN used. It changed the whole look of the movie. Of course if you have those DVD's, now your watching them on your widescreen TV and not only are you missing have of the movie, you have black or Grey bars on the left and right.

I'd rather have the bars then a butchered movie. Lets say they released HACKED up movies in 16x9 format to so call fill the whole screen. Well what if I want to watch it on my PC monitor which is widescreen. Ops, Widescreen PC Monitors are normally 16x10(1920x1200), now I have have black bars on the top and bottom anyway. You also can't really adjust PC monitor resolutions these days. Not like on a CRT, with LCD displays, you really need to have them set for their Native Resolution.

The large bars I had with my old 31" SDTV watching Widescreen movies never bothered me, and the much smaller Bars on my widescreen HDTV don't bother me. I did jump from a 42" 1080i HDTV to a nice 50" 1080P Plasma and sit just under 7 feet it front of it. I got a larger HDTV then planned to make up for the small loss of screen for some movies. If Black bars is such a problem for you, then go with a front projector setup and some type of adjustable screen. Your problem is pretty much fixed then.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissmo /forum/post/16929026

That's just sad....

"Why do all the frames in the art gallery have to be different sizes? Why don't just just cut the paintings down to the same size so I can look at them without moving my head too much." Makes about as much sense.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just to reiterate: This isnt the TV doing this, that is the movie itself as mentioned before. The dark knight had a few scenes that were filmed for IMAX (a different aspect ratio). The bluray of the Dark Knight is the same as what you wouldve seen in the theater as far as the screen size changing. I know its a little different, but honestly I loved it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts