AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm working on my layouts for a home theater but have come across a bit of height issue with the size of my screen I have space for so I thought I'd call upon the experts here to see if there's either a solution or which option is preferred in a home theater since I've never had one.

It's pretty much an audio vs visual thing. Wider screen size but than lose height for tower speakers or smaller 16x9 screen size to make room for towers. Which option is usually the preference here? It's soley for movies and will not be used much for music. I'm feeling like the 2.35:1 option would be best for me in this case.

Layout of Room (Projector will be ceiling mounted above front row 11-12' from screen):

Here's the layout in question. Which route would you get more enjoyment out of, widescreen with bookshelf speakers or 16x9 with towers. I will be hooking up an HD PVR later for 16x9 shows but presume it's mostly for blu-rays.

Thanks so much, so glad I found this forum.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 /forum/post/20894091

You can get an acoustically transparent (AT) screen as well so that you can have your speakers behind the screen and still get a larger 16x9 screen. I plan on doing this in my room since it is similar in width to yours 10.5'.

That sounds fantastic, been doing a bit of research on that now. Seems like Seymour AV does fabric purchases for DIY. Thanks man, big help.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would go with the 2.35:1 option. I bought my first screen a year ago and like you, I watch mainly movies. Now I am having to make horizontal masks for my 16:9 screen as I don't like the dark gray bars. My next screen will be a 2.35 or 2.4:1 and I will side mask with curtains when I watch football or TV in 16:9 format.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.