AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an audio newb, so this is not going to be a very sophisticated question, but I'm hoping someone will have the patience to try answering it.

I've been comparing the Ascend 340s to the Ascend Sierras, and it seems that the Sierras are considered to be the better speakers, despite the fact that the 340s have dual 6.5 inch woofers, while the Sierra only has one, and it's smaller.

Can a speaker with fewer, smaller drivers really sound better than one with more, bigger drivers, especially if they come from the same manufacturer?

Yes, I do realize that quality of construction (crossovers, bamboo vs. MDF cabinet, etc.) will make a difference, but I guess I'm wondering if those differences in manufacture compensate for the obvious differences in drivers.

And more specifically, can anyone who has heard both of the aforementioned speakers comment on how they compare?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
In many cases the smaller drivers are more accurate than the larger drivers and sound better at higher volumes, especially ifyou cross them over and let the sub handle the bass duties, just something to think about.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
It isn't just the size of the driver, but the overall design of it as well.

Even though the 340SE is no slouch, the Sierra is a better speaker all around except at higher listening levels. The appreciation in the differences vary from person to person, and really should be experienced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts