AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a new A/V receiver. I currently use my logitech Z680 5.1 speaker set as a receiver since it has one coax and one optical digital in.

I have few components that have digital out, like HD tuner, DVD, XBOX and such. That is why I need a receiver with more digital inputs.

However, I cant really afford another set of speakers so I thought I would connect the Z680 to the receiver through digital out.

My question is, in this kind of connection, is there any processing done to the signal from the digital in to out like all the surround processing and volume control and amplification, or is it straight pass-through?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've read the post over 4 times now and I am still confused. You want to connect your computer speakers from a A/V receiver that you plan on buying? You are wondering if that will be a straight pass through from the receiver? Is that it?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, let me clarify my question. My question is basically what does the digital output on receivers do?

More specifically...

First, about the Z680, all 5 speakers connect to the amp+sub and there is a pod with serial connection to the sub as well. the pod had builtin DTS and DD decoders and has coax,optical in as well as pc connection.

Right now, this pod is being used as a "receiver" since it has the digital in, and quite frankly, to me, this system is more than enough since I am not an audiophile by all means, but rather, you average joe user.

Since I now have more components with digital output (xbox,DVD, HDTV) that can be connected to this pod, I was thinking of buying a A/V receiver that can accept all these connections.

Now, once I get this receiver that has both 3 digital in and 1 output, I will connect all the digital devices to the digital inputs.

My question is, if I connect the Z680 pod to the digital output, the signal that comes from all the digital inputs goes straight through to the digital output or the signal can actually be controlled by the recevier(i.e. surround processing, volume control)?

Another option that was mentioned is to hook the 5 speakers directly to the receiver and that is a valid option, however, I will not be able to use the Z680 sub and probably have to purchase another sub, which I rather avoid. Plus, the speakers are rated at 53W and I dont know if they are underpowered to be driven by the receiver.

Any advice?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.