AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house came with speaker wire which i have been using, i just purchased an amp which needs to be placed a few (about 2 feet) further then the wire reaches, can you extend speaker wire or is this not recommended?

·
Registered
440 Posts
2643 posts isn't exactly "newb"
I have done it and never heard a degradation in sound. I made sure I used same gauge/brand. I figure every wire has to terminate somewhere then reconnect somehow and if that doesn't degrade the sound neither should a splice. But what do I know. I am ready for the heat now

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18171511

Why is this question in the subwoofer forum?

Subwoofers use speaker wire, don't they?

Yes, you can extend it without problems. Just make sure you have a good connection, I recommend either soldering it or use crimping wire connectors.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/18171980

Subwoofers use speaker wire, don't they?

Passive subs, yes. Powered subs, no. Do you see any mention of a sub in the OP's posting? I don't.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not qualified from an audio standpoint. But electrically, solder it, put some heatshrink tubing on (before you do the soldering, LOL) and it's as good as it gets. Just make sure solder correctly - i.e., the wires melt the solder rather than your heat source melting the wire, and you're golden.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts