AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe an odd/stupid/newb question, but I couldn't find anyone that has even thought of this, so I need to ask due to circumstances.

I have access to only one Infinity Primus P362. Would it be worthwhile to hook up and use it horizontally (or standing up hovering behind the TV?) as a center channel? I can't invest in a second speaker to use them as proper L/R channels yet. I was just looking to replace my center channel and this would work out great if it's even worth it and doesn't destroy the balance.

FYI - It's replacing my center from my HTIB Onkyo 7.1 setup (HT-R550 receiver) so I assume it will be sufficient for this usage.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco355 /forum/post/14161508

Maybe an odd/stupid/newb question, but I couldn't find anyone that has even thought of this, so I need to ask due to circumstances.

I have access to only one Infinity Primus P362. Would it be worthwhile to hook up and use it horizontally (or standing up hovering behind the TV?) as a center channel? I can't invest in a second speaker to use them as proper L/R channels yet. I was just looking to replace my center channel and this would work out great if it's even worth it and doesn't destroy the balance.

FYI - It's replacing my center from my HTIB Onkyo 7.1 setup (HT-R550 receiver) so I assume it will be sufficient for this usage.

It's a decent speaker, so yes, it could serve as a center (the drivers are heftier than what you'd get in a normal center speaker). The issue vertically, behind the TV, is that the TV will block the sound to some extent, and since midrange and high frequency is more directional, it will be more noticeable. Horizontally, you will need alot of space, it's not a small speaker, and the setup is MTWW, so not so balanced when lying down.

If you have the speaker in hand, connect it up, it will sound good, it's more a matter of placement to get sound that suits you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensselaer80 /forum/post/14163687

It's a decent speaker, so yes, it could serve as a center (the drivers are heftier than what you'd get in a normal center speaker). The issue vertically, behind the TV, is that the TV will block the sound to some extent, and since midrange and high frequency is more directional, it will be more noticeable. Horizontally, you will need alot of space, it's not a small speaker, and the setup is MTWW, so not so balanced when lying down.

If you have the speaker in hand, connect it up, it will sound good, it's more a matter of placement to get sound that suits you.

Thanks for the response, I'll give it a go... I was thinking of elevating it above the TV (to reduce any obstructions) depending on how heavy it is once I get my hands on it. I'll try to report back on that.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco355 /forum/post/14184752

Thanks for the response, I'll give it a go... I was thinking of elevating it above the TV (to reduce any obstructions) depending on how heavy it is once I get my hands on it. I'll try to report back on that.

It's 50 pounds, good luck hoisting it up

Try it next to the TV first, be easier. The normal center is a largish speaker too, but noticeably smaller than the 362.

·
Registered
176 Posts
the pc350 is about 25 pounds, but costs twice as much as the stereo speaker (if you're buying the stereos for $100 from Fry's)...

having said that, placing the pc350 (which I have not bought yet) is looking to be a pickle of it's own... either I wallmount the tv , or look for a new tv stand, which is difficult since most of them are not designed to have a tv and a large center...

buying those p362s was a good deal, but now I'm dealing with the aftermath >_

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco355 /forum/post/14161508

I didnt want to spend the extra $$$ on the P350 speaker, so when Frys had the $99 sale I picked up one just for my center and I have it set horizontally on my stand with my TV on top of the speaker. But I also opened the P362 up and turned all the drivers from their veritcal position, to a horizontal position as well to match its new horizontal setting. I couldnt be happier using the 362 as a center.

Just waiting for frys to have another sale so I can grab a pair for rear surrounds.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotc /forum/post/14473692

I didnt want to spend the extra $$$ on the P350 speaker, so when Frys had the $99 sale I picked up one just for my center and I have it set horizontally on my stand with my TV on top of the speaker. But I also opened the P362 up and turned all the drivers from their veritcal position, to a horizontal position as well to match its new horizontal setting. I couldnt be happier using the 362 as a center.

Just waiting for frys to have another sale so I can grab a pair for rear surrounds.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how turning the drivers would do anything.. besides, the layout of the components would be very asymmetrical if you put the speaker on its side... right?

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez /forum/post/14483423

I'm no expert, but I don't see how turning the drivers would do anything.. besides, the layout of the components would be very asymmetrical if you put the speaker on its side... right?

yea im not expert either, dunno it helped any or not...although it may be asymmetrical...the 362 center on its side sounds good enough for me and im satisfied for the price I got it for. I tried a few times to get the 350 centeron ebay and kept losing on bids, so I just went with the 362. I have tried some other centers such as the Klicpsh C-3, Polk C-2, and JBL N series center and the 362 on its side still sounds a little better to me.

Now im just waiting for Frys to put these on sale again.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Putting the 362 on its side isn't the wisest thing to do. Why not lift your display up a bit more? Unless you have a RP display, that's the smarter thing to do. I'm in the same boat. You are right that the 362 makes an arguably better center than the PC350.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...eaker-designs/

The PC350 is more expensive (after shipping) than the P362B even on E-bay. However, I am still going that route as lifting and tilting my Mitsubishi RP DLP will result in a very nasty vertical off-axis (doesn't look good).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts