AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty new to the a/v thing and I am about to make a purchase of a new tv. I am going with the KV-30HS420 or the KDF-E42A10. I know this is kind of weird to be deciding between these too because they are quite different but i am trying to decide still how much I would like to spend. Currently I do not have an audio set up but I will most likely be getting one. I will be using the xbox360 and the ps3 with this set. I have been going over the forums on the subject of power supply. Basically I dont know what I should purchase. I know there is surge protector, UPS, etc. I am looking for really the best value for the money. Which hopefully will not be to much money. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch12
anyone?
We don't know what you should purchase either. You really need both. Clean / pure power for the sensitive equipment as well as simple surge protectors for the rest.

How much battery you need is wholly dependant on your equipment and your needs so it's hard to just through a reference out.

As for brand names, I only know them a PC standpoint but I would start looking into belkin and apc, they are my two favorites.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I would suggest in purchasing a whole house surge protector for installation at your main breaker panel. You can use point of use surge protectors, but only for convenience of using multiple outlets as they aren't much good at protecting against actual surges.

As for power conditioning, the sky's the limit, but consider what you are trying to protect. Most AV equipment nowadays have fairly decent internal power supplies and transformers for converting the AC voltage to the necessary DC voltages so alot of conditioning may not buy you much...It's the law of diminishing returns. Stay away from fancy power cables and other snake oil...waste of your hard earned money.

As for battery backup/UPS, try to get one that sends a true sine-wave, not a chopped sine wave. The only real need for battery backup would be PCs or maybe a light projector. PC's you want an orderly shutdown if possible. Some projectors have issues with relighting the lamp when hot, but most newer PJ's will force a cool down cycle whether you kill power or shutdown normally. There is also consideration as to whether the thermal characteristics of the lamp elements are affected by cooling down with ambient temperature and no fan vs a fan...There's a long debated thread on this one in the Digital projectors forum somewhere.

Good Luck

Robert

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee
I would suggest in purchasing a whole house surge protector for installation at your main breaker panel. You can use point of use surge protectors, but only for convenience of using multiple outlets as they aren't much good at protecting against actual surges.

Good Luck

Robert
A whole house TVSS (Transient Voltage Surge Surpression) comes in handy for lightning strikes by acting as a "first defence" against a surge, however I wouldn't use it as a replacement for point-of-usage devices for two reasons.

1. They clamping rating is often a good many orders of magnitude higher than that required to fire your equipment. If it trips you'll likely having a smoking device here and there as well.

2. They often do not protect against localized power surges. If the vacumn cleaner explodes and pumps and extra 200 volts into the line for a milisecond, it's going to find the easiest path to earth, often along the neutral line...which means it's going to be "testing" every device long the way on that circuit until it reaches the service panel and can be transferred from the neutral bus bar to the ground.

If I recally correctly, that is...

---

This doesn't mean you shouldn't invest in one. For the $200 USD (approximately) it's a very good purchase because of the extra line of defence it gives you. Also, if you end up using any devices that communicate on an X-10 signal over the power lines, you can rest assured those inline devices would also be protected. Something a point of use suppressor cannot do for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.