AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new at this and interested in calibrating my new rig. After reading many threads here and elsewhere, I'm still confused as to what input source do people generally refer to when discussing calibration.

In my case, trying to calibrate the source I use most of the time, HD Dish Network box (used about 60% of the total viewing time), would lead to an exponential number of errors in calibrating, since each channel offers a different resolution, color spectrum, etc. Unlike watching a DVD, which would then offer a more consistent input source that can be calibrated once and which would apply to all other DVDs played on the same player.

So, when calibrating, are most of you talking about calibrating only your DVD source, rather than broadcast TV?

If you do ever try to calibrate the video coming from broadcast channels, how in the world do you do it so that it remains consistent across all channels?

Which TV channel do you tend to pick to calibrate your TV input source?

How do you use a commercial DVD calibration program to calibrate broadcast TV?

+++++

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Simple/quick answer is that you do not...personally I have (i) calibrated my projector w/o any video source (i.e. using an AccuPel) so that it is as good as possible (ii) calibrated my projector + video processor (i.e. better grayscale, gamma, color gamut and color decoder control) (i.e. using processor's internal test patterns) and then (iii) calibrated/tweaked the above for my DVD player using a DVD test disk.

In other words...(a) no specific calibration for HDTV and (b) picture is much better as a result of (i) and (ii) above...

HTH

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosete /forum/post/12988934

Very new at this and interested in calibrating my new rig. After reading many threads here and elsewhere, I'm still confused as to what input source do people generally refer to when discussing calibration.

In my case, trying to calibrate the source I use most of the time, HD Dish Network box (used about 60% of the total viewing time), would lead to an exponential number of errors in calibrating, since each channel offers a different resolution, color spectrum, etc. Unlike watching a DVD, which would then offer a more consistent input source that can be calibrated once and which would apply to all other DVDs played on the same player.

So, when calibrating, are most of you talking about calibrating only your DVD source, rather than broadcast TV?

If you do ever try to calibrate the video coming from broadcast channels, how in the world do you do it so that it remains consistent across all channels?

Which TV channel do you tend to pick to calibrate your TV input source?

How do you use a commercial DVD calibration program to calibrate broadcast TV?

+++++

If you don't have access to a signal generator, then most people calibrate using a DVD and use those settings for their set top box. Try to use the same connection for both.

You can also obtain some test patterns from HDnet, but they are just color bars and don't allow for a full calibration.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosete /forum/post/12988934

Different scan rates (720p, 1080i) do not need different calibrations. Likewise, there should not be differences between different "stations" (be they the local ABC, or HBO). But there certainly ARE differences in "artistic intent", or the "look" of various programs, so you will see differences. But there are also differences in the "look" of various DVDs. The intent of a "calibration" is to bring the display to perform as closely as possible to the SAME standard that is used to produce TV programs or DVDs. When this is done, the differences that you see in movies and programs are those that the producer intended for you to see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts