AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around the HTPC forum, as I am a REAL NEWBE in this area. Finally I’m going to jump in. After making major purchases of a JVC G11 projector and CI scaler http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif a couple of months ago, I’m out of $$ http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif so the thought of buying or building a HTPC is way down the road. I do however, have a DELL XPS series computer that I’m wondering if it could be used with satisfactory result as a HTPC until I finally purchase or built one.

I know your next question, well why not just hook it up via the computer VGA output and try it? At present the logistics (G11 & Dell now where near each other) are pretty tough.

My thoughts are if my DELL’s config is somewhat minimally acceptable per this forums standards, to get a long VGA cable, IR keyboard and IR to RF repeater and use it remotely if possible way for a while.

DELL config:
  • Windows 98 se
  • XPS T650 MHz PIII Minitower w/MMX, 256 Cache
  • 256 MB SDRAM
  • 8X Toshiba DVD ROM
  • DVD Decoder Hardware card W TV out
  • SB Live sound card W Digital Video out (I think it is coax digital out) I can configure it for 5.1 DD
  • 20.4Gb Ultra ATA HD 7200RPM (about 7GB used)
  • 32MB Diamond Viper 770NVIDIA "Ultra" Graphics Video Card
  • ATI-TV Wonder (PCI) Tuner (I installed)
  • Other hardware not needed for HTPC but I will mention anyway: TDK CDRW (I installed), Iomega internal 250Mb zip drive, floppy Drive, Natural keyboard, Logitec mouse, Sony 19" monitor.
  • Software: Lots.

Note: DVD’s at present play on the Dell with no problems noted.

Thanks Don

[This message has been edited by anderdea (edited 05-10-2001).]

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Don:

___For strict DVD playback, it should suffice. You will still want to throw the video card out for sure. Make sure the Dell is equipped with the proper Live Value II for proper S/PDIF output (most of them shipped last year were), and get Power Strip so you can use custom T&R’s (Timing and Resolutions).

___Given your questions, you should consider reading ~ ½ the posts listed in the HTPC FAQ as a start. Do not get bottled up with the acronyms or technical details as you will pick them up very quickly over time.

___Finally, distance … You can purchase some very expensive RGB to RGB cables in ~ 50’ lengths but they will cost ½ what a new Low range HTPC would cost anyway. Do a search for cable length here in the HT Computer forum and you will run into what you need to know.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

[This message has been edited by xcel (edited 05-11-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.