AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2900, only to discover that my sony es receiver that is about 4 years old has no imputs for all the analog outs from the 2900. The only connections that I think I can make are the Toslink and or Coaxial. Does this mean that I can not use the DVD Audio or Sacd high resolution tracks? As it stands now, I cant even get any music to play on this machine. Can anyone help? Is my only chance at full blown Dvd audio and Video mean that I have to upgrade my receiver to a seperate pre and pro? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You can't play those format via the Toslink or Coaxial but You don't really need a pre-pro to get use of SACD or DVD-A. Any receiver with external 5.1 multichannels input will do.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately you can't use digital output signals from your 2900 to play DVD-A or SACD. You'll have to upgrade your receiver to a new one. But isn´t it a good excuse to do so? :D

Remember that if you buy a pre/pro, then you'll also need a separate multichannel amp because your Sony can´t be used as power amp for the same reason it can't accept hi-res music formats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
new reveiver is the way to go, you need the 6 analog cables for sacd, a new receiver and you will be hooked on sacd, i just got my 2nd denon dvd2200, im using a yammi rxv2300 for one room and waiting to hook up my yammi 1400, 2 speakers are on order. the 2900 is a great machine, hook it up to a deserving amp

Tritip

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey, you should be able to play cd's through the coax, read that thick book that came with it, i think you have to push a button or chang a setting, sorry i cant be more spisific, but i just use the analog, but i do have a coax cable hooked up, the salesman told me i needed it, now that you bring it to my attention, i wonder if im even utilizing it and what its for. i think the coax is for digital sound from movies, im not sure if it utilized this for cd's. ifound some info. use fl1 and fl2 on the denon with audio cablesfor left and right audio hookups in on your sony for 2 channel

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Mike:

I just got the 2900 this week and thought that I might be able to throw in some perspective on this.

The signal transfer between the 2900 and receiver for standard CDs is digital, not analog. Using either the coax or toslink is all you have to have to make the connection. Although SACD is an upgrade in sound, it will vary with the recording and your associated equipment. Furthermore, you really should take a look at the SACD titles that are available, specifically checking to see how many of them are 2 channel/stereo. You don't want a situation where you buy a new receiver or preamp and amps to then find that most of the music you would listen to is still only 2 channel.

Also be aware that on the 2900, the subwoofer channel on SACD is set to be 10 dbs lower than the other 5 speaker. This was to compensate for the recording studios who boost those frequencies by 10 dbs. This fact is bugging me as I have to make other extreme settings to offset this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for confirming my fears for me :mad: I am now forced to make a decission on how important SACD and Dvd Audio are to me right now. I think I may just bring the 2900 back to the store. Otherwise I will end up investing another $900 into a decent reciever or $4000 to go full out for the anthem pre and a seperate amp that I had planned to eventually upgrade to in a couple of years for a dedicated HT.

The other thing that bothers me is that I would be taking a quality reciever in great condition like my Sony DA50ES and end up just putting in the basement or selling it for something like $200, if I could even get that at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.