AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have Replay TV or TIVO in every room with one main directory/server. In other words what gets recorded in one room can be viewed in another room. Can anybody give suggestions of the best and least expensive way to accomplish this? I've heard of running the input through a computer and then to to rooms. Also linking Replay TV together.

I have 5 rooms I want to hook up together. Anybody do this before and have some suggestions? Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm building a house. Each station will have 3, maybe 4 RG-6 wires coming in to handle directTivo input with one output going to a central location. I'll also pull two cat-5 (one for network, one for phone) to each location.

This way I can feed my Tivo anywhere else in the house... same with my Replay. I have only one Directivo, one 5000, and one boxed up 3000 series system. I'll use those cones that transmit the remote control. We aren't real concerned about the same show showing in the living room and the sunroom. We'll partition the rooms how they make sense. I think wiring this way makes things cost effective now (we won't need to pay for a 5000 at each location), and also keeps us poised for the future so that each station could feed other stations via the network.

I'll also probably end up with a file server and put DVArchive on it.

How does this sound to anyone? We start building in 2 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

The way I feed my devices throughout the house is I have installed a couple Frequency agile modulators to each of the devices I want to share.

Then with a few universal remotes and a few RCA IR extenders.... you get the point..

So my 4504 is on channel 77 and can be controlled from any TVs(4) in the house. The same with the DVD player (channel 78) and Xbox (channel 79)(with logitech 2.4 ghz wireless controllers).

Modulators - 4 @ $24 each Radio Shack (Part number: 15-1243)

RCA Extender Base + 1 reciever 29.99 Part (D940)

RCA Extender 3 additional recievers @ 26.99 each (D935)

Logitech Wirless Xbox controllers 2 @ $20 each..

and a couple of Video Splitter/Combiners.

Total cost was under $270

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It depends on how you want to watch TV and/or your level of TV watching/confliction level.

Do you need to be able to watch 5 different shows at once (1 in each room)?

Do you need to record several programs at the same time?

Depending on those answers there are a few ways to go. Putting a Replay (or aheh, Tivo) in every room will be expensive. Your talking about $350-400 per room. That would probably eliminate a need for a server since you can watch (and record) shows from any Replay connected up on the network.

You could also go with 1 Replay and a server running DVArchive, then multiplex then outputs throughout the house. It would be cheaper, but you have less control, less conflict management, can only watch 1 or 2 things throughout the house at one time, and a bigger hassle.

Like I said earlier, it just depends on how good or cheap you want the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There may be times when all rooms are viewing different programs, so what will work better TIVO of REPLAY TV? I already have a DirecTIVO unit. Should I sell it and get Replay TV since it doesn't have a monthly cost? Also what models are adequate for networking?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Can't help you on the Tivo end, but all 4K and 5K Replay's have built in networking, so those would be the models you want.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Just make sure you don't mix 4Ks and 5Ks since they don't stream to each other. The simplest way is to put a Replay at each TV and run DVArchive on the "server". You can put mega storage space on the "server" and after DVArchive has reeled in all your shows to the server, DVArchive can then stream the shows to any or all of the Replays.

I've combined the simple method with a Channel Plus 3025 for even greater flexibility and there are more and more sophisticated ways of distributing to your whole house as you move up in price.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Please note that you don't need to have a central server running DVArchive. You can view the content of any networked unit from any other networked unit. DVArchive, of course, has other compelling advantages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.