AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an inexpensive (~2.5k or less) projector to use primarily with a satellite receiver. It appears, from what I've read, that for my needs a low res, high contrast projector would be best. I've been reading the good things about the NEC DLP projectors, but how well do they work with 480i? Any other projectors I should consider? TIA!

-Charles

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Why not LT150 as it's only $2.3K which is in your budget. To save money make your own screen out of white blackout material from your local fabric shop $15 for cloth, $20 for wooden frame (even less if you just roll it up and down).

Anyways, LT150 or LT85 should do fine with 480i via Svideo although it's best at 480p or HTPC. Small images like signs or license plates tend to be less crisp on 480i. Edges are not as smooth and stair stepping may be noted on 480i. HTPC or 480p should give much, much more satisfactory imaging. If you were to spend $2.3K on a PJ, why not spend $200 for Panasonic RP-56 progressive DVD player and $10-30 for breakout cable. Take your 480i player into your bedroom or give/sell it to your mom :)

If you already have a 400Mhz or higher PC, converting to HTPC is not that difficult especially if your PC already have DVD drive, a nice video card like Nvidia or ATI based products, and a sound card with digital SPDIF output. This is the best choice any digital PJ. Using HTPC is not that difficult especially if you leave your PC on all the time: merely turning on PJ, hitting autoadjust, pop in DVD disc, turn on stereo, and you're ready to go :)

I personally have both 480i STB DVD player into Svideo and HTPC into VGA. I use HTPC and the wife can use STB DVD player--she hates PC.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Huey, I had assumed that the LT85/LT150 would still be line-doubling a "Native" image coming into the S-Video input. So, it actually displays it as 480i with visible scan lines and all?

Kind of off-topic, but can you tell me what resolution the LT85 and LT150 would down-convert a 1080i image to? Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It does deinterlace or line-doubles Svideo and Composite sources, but its deinterlacer (and scaler for that matter) is not great. It's best done externally via a good prog. player, HTPC, DVDo (or more expensive units).

I'm not sure the exact down conversion of 1080i (vertical resolution) but I assume the limitations are 600 vertically for SVGA units and 768 vertically for XGA units. Thus some advocate 720p on HDTV to minimize down conversion on these units especially on XGA.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The LT 85/150 works great for Progressive Scan DVD or other 480p Sources using it's VGA/Component input. For 480i sattelite feed I would sujest the Infocus LP340b. It has a better internal scaller and also it has Zoom, so would be more versatile.

Antonio

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.