AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Everyone,

We just bought our first house and I'm looking to install a sound system in our living room. I'm new to this and so my experience/knowledge is limited and was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to which speakers to buy.

Here are some facts:

- The system will be used mainly for TV/movies and music;

- The room dimensions are: 23' x 10' with the TV positioned along the 23' wall;

- I have just bought the receiver: Pioneer VSX-1023 that I picked up for $250 on amazon;

- I'm thinking a 3.1 system would be fine;

- I'm very close to pulling the trigger on: Pioneer SP-FS51's (I like the idea of having floor standing speakers on either side of the TV unit), SP-CS21 and SW-8-K as they look ok, have decent reviews and are reasonably priced on newegg.com

- My budget is $500 although I could stretch it if it would be worthwhile;

So what speakers would you buy for a first time 3.1 system?

Thanks for reading and replying!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would start with a 2.1 system for now, this way you can get a better sub and front speakers, and then add to it in the future.

I would go with the Infinity Primus P163

That Pioneer sub is not good, and a 8" in a room that size is like spitting on a fire. I would recommend a pair of these Dayton SUB-1500 Paired with those bookshelves, they will give you good even bass throughout your room, and are much more appropriate in a larger room like that.

Later on add the Infinity PC351, and maybe a pair of P143 for surrounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Transmaniacon!

I'll take a look at those speakers that you mentioned.

Regarding the Dayton SUB-1500's, being a newbie, I've always thought that there's only ever one sub included per system. Where would you position the subs?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotnadian  /t/1525670/newbie-3-1-system-speaker-suggestions#post_24564219

Thanks Transmaniacon!

I'll take a look at those speakers that you mentioned.

Regarding the Dayton SUB-1500's, being a newbie, I've always thought that there's only ever one sub included per system. Where would you position the subs?

Thanks again.

It depends on the room. A lot of people put them up front next to their towers/stands, but the best way to locate them is to do the "sub crawl" method. There are lots of tutorials and videos on how to do this. One of the benefits of dual subs though is having an easier time placing them. Dual subs create a more even response throughout the room, so you can deal with room effects better. If you receiver only has one sub pre-out, then you just need to buy an RCA Y-splitter and hook them both up.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1525670/newbie-3-1-system-speaker-suggestions/0_100#post_24564287

I agree. The Pioneer sub is pretty weak. It won't add much, whereas the Dayton will.

As far as the Pioneer speakers, the newer models were very recently on sale. Learn more in the owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point
Unfortunately, the sales all ended yesterday. Hopefully they will be back again soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks Guys!

I'm loving all of the suggestions so far as well as learning a little along the way.

Going to keep looking into the suggestions (as well as convince my other half!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm not familiar with Dayton Audio but they must be good seeing that two of you recommend them and that they get great reviews.

Better reviews than the pioneer sub AND it's much better looking!

@ crazyrob: newegg have the Polk audio monitor 75T's for $249.99 + $1.99 shipping - would these be too much for my system?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotnadian  /t/1525670/newbie-3-1-system-speaker-suggestions#post_24564759

I'm not familiar with Dayton Audio but they must be good seeing that two of you recommend them and that they get great reviews.

Better reviews than the pioneer sub AND it's much better looking!

@ crazyrob: newegg have the Polk audio monitor 75T's for $249.99 + $1.99 shipping - would these be too much for my system?
That's

$250 per speaker. So $500 thats pretty steep. Especially cause you can get Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Towers for $379.99 / pair. Or Polk RTi8's (which is a higher end speaker for $400 / pair.

These speakers would need a larger center channel so that is an added cost.

Now I know some people see ebay and they want to shy away but those links are from Polk Audio's official ebay store.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1525670/newbie-3-1-system-speaker-suggestions#post_24564799

That's

$250 per speaker. So $500 thats pretty steep. Especially cause you can get Polk Audio Monitor 70 Series II Towers for $379.99 / pair. Or Polk RTi8's (which is a higher end speaker for $400 / pair.

These speakers would need a larger center channel so that is an added cost.

Now I know some people see ebay and they want to shy away but those links are from Polk Audio's official ebay store.
Ok, well noted, thanks. I am one of those people who shy away from ebay lol but if it's an official store then that's all good.

I'll keep researching...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts