AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Guys,

I have a question I'm hoping you can answer.  I have a 7.1 speaker setup and a xbox one set to 7.1 uncompressed.  I'm curious what my receive is supposed to be displaying and if I need to upgrade receivers to maximize the sounds quality of my new basement setup.  I currently have a Sony receiver.  STR DH820 It was about $350 3-4 years ago.

The receive does say it can handle 7.2.  I'm just not sure what it is supposed to be set to and what it is supposed to display when it gets a signal to maximize the sound quality.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

What audio format the receiver should display depends upon what is being sent to it.  If you have your source convert everything to PCM, then the receiver should tell you that PCM is input.  If you want the receiver to show you all the names of the various audio formats, you need the source to be set to send everything unconverted.  Some units call this "bitstream."  But look at the manual for the audio options on your source.

Also, if you have the source convert everything to multichannel PCM, there is no degradation of the sound from doing that.  So it will not sound better not doing that, but it will have the receiver process the signal if you send the unprocessed bitstream to it.

In other words, from a sound quality standpoint, it does not matter whether the source converts everything to multichannel PCM or not.  And you do not need a new receiver.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth9883  /t/1519864/newbie-7-1-question#post_24408984

Hi Guys,

I have a question I'm hoping you can answer.  I have a 7.1 speaker setup and a xbox one set to 7.1 uncompressed.  I'm curious what my receive is supposed to be displaying and if I need to upgrade receivers to maximize the sounds quality of my new basement setup.  I currently have a Sony receiver.  STR DH820 It was about $350 3-4 years ago.

The receive does say it can handle 7.2.  I'm just not sure what it is supposed to be set to and what it is supposed to display when it gets a signal to maximize the sound quality.

Thanks guys.
If you are playing an xbox game your receiver should say something like MultiChannel, PCM, or Multichannel PCM. If you are playing a blu-ray the receiver should display ether DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD, depending on how the source disk is coded.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts