AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am currently building a new house and looking at purchasing the new Sony 5000ES receiver. While I have limited experience in the general home theater realm, I have not done any "whole-house" distribution.

Reading the specs on the Sony it says it has 2 "extra" zones where it will distribute video & sound to one and only sound to the other. However, it says you need an additional amp/receiver in the other zones to power the speakers??

Here is my dilemma. I want to put speakers in the living room and outside on the patio/deck area with volume controls at each location. Lets say my receiver sits in my home theater and the extra 2 zones would be the living room and the deck area.

What do I need as far as wiring and components to finish the job and do I actually need an additional amp/receiver in each zone?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Your receiver's second and third zone outputs are line level not speaker level. You will need an additional amplifier and you should run speaker wires from the amp to each volume control and from the volume control to the speakers.

If you want to take advantage of the second zone's ability to change sources you will need to run a wire for IR. Here is what I recommend. Run A CAT5 and speaker wire to the volume control. Niles makes a volume control that has a built in relay ( Soundelier was the first to do this but the Niles has better control range ) so you can leave the system on all the time and turn the music on by closing the relay.

They make an other version of this volume control that also has a built in IR sensor. I might not install this model in an outdoor location ( sun light is not good for IR systems ) but you might wish to in the Living room. I would consider both the Living room and Terrace as part of the second zone. If you needed to later you could add an additonal amplifier and make third room a separate zone. But I doubt you will need to listen to 3 separate sources in 3 different locations.

Alan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see lots of products on Niles webpage but I am getting really confused. I like the idea of the "Intellipad" w/IR Sensor built-in being put in the living room. Will the "Intellipad" work with my Sony ES receiver?

What type of amp do you recommend? I do not need anything special as far as power goes.

Also, how hard are these things to program and actually get to work correctly? --especially a novice!

Thanks again for the help!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.