Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to home theater and will very likely be purchasing a Panny AE 100 in the near future.

I'm moving to a new apartment shortly and I am trying to plan my initial hometheater layout so all my cables/etc will be properly placed when I'm ready for the AE 100.

Basically, I will have a 14 foot by 15 foot home theater room, in which I will be placing a 5.1 DD/DTS system and a AE 100.

Here's my question: Is it possible to place the AE 100 immediately behind the seating area (my couch), yet avoid the "screen door" effect?

(From what I've read on this board, sitting approximately 1.5-2x the screen width will allow you to avoid the screen door effect (which would seem to require having the projector placed in front of the seating area) . . . I would prefer to have the AE100 mounted on a tripod/rack immediately behind my couch rather than have it on a table in front of my couch (ceiling mount is not an option in my apartment) . . . is this doable?)

If this is doable, where can I buy a cheap projector tripod/find DIY instructions?

Thanks for your help,

Neil

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The AE-100, as most projectors, does not project out evenly. The image expands much faster towards the top then the bottom.

I plan on doing something similar. My room is only 9' deep with the couch against the wall. I was planning on putting a shelf up on the wall and "ceiling" mounting it upside down on the bottom of the shelf.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
 http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection_calc.cfm

For how far the projector can be away from the screen. it depends on how far your couch is from the wall where you plan to put the screen and how big you want the screen. I think with the AE100 you might be ok but it depends on your exact setup. Try the above screen size calculator.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Neil_123, How tall is your wall? If you put the proj behind your couch and have it at a level that projects over your head this will be the same level as the bottom of the screen. Lets call this 4.5 feet. If you have an 8 foot wall you will have a maximum height of 3.5 feet. This will also mean that you will have to look upwards to watch everything, something that I find very uncomfortable. Depending on how far you are from the wall the PJ may not zoom down to this size screen. If your tripod goes up to the celing then do a celing mount setup and you will be ok.

Projectors project a cone witht he projector at the top or bottom not the middle.

Like this:

_

\\ or /_

not this:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. I will try putting a shelf up and then doing a ceiling type mount on the shelf. This will also maximize screen size and minimize having to look up at the screen.

Thanks again,

Neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.