AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation I have a new Samsung TSL3095WHF 30' 16:9 DirectView TV. It's come time for me to get a DTV receiver, I think I've narrowed it down to the Mitsu HD-400 or the Sony HD-100. I would really appreciate any help I'm not rich by any means so I'd like to do this right the first time.

I plan on using the component cables to go from the HD receiver to my set.

Is the HD-100 still as bad as everyone says? (fan noise doesn’t bother me, annoying problems do)

I also have the choice of the Panasonic TUHDS-20 but have never been impressed with any of their equipment, should I take a closer look?

Is there something much better for the VERY near future?

Looking forward to staying warm by the glow of my new HDTV for the long winters here in Minnesota. Thanks in advance

PS.. And yes I have looked through the Programming and hardware forums extensively and read different reviews on each but I still find it difficult to figure out which one sound the best for my monitor and situation.

[This message has been edited by c0_re (edited 09-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The Mits, Hughe, Toshiba units are the same made by Hughes:

The Toshiba is 449.99 at http://www.videoonly.com/

The Hughes is 527.00 at www.**************.com

The Sony is still 799.00

I have the DTC-100 and the Mits unit that I pick up from the Good Guys, open box unit, for 399.99! I have to say after playing with all three the Mits, Toshiba, Hughes are number 1 in my book, the Sony is next and the trusty old DTC-100 is still good. I am just talking feature, they all receive good pictures and signal.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I would love to buy the Sony since it matches my TV and DVD player (not sony but silver) but if it's as bad as everyone says(On this forum)with signal dropout and other Sony bugs I'm not interested. Picture quality is paramount for me.

Starting to lean towards the Mitsu even though the Sony would look much better sitting in my stand.

Oh yea, OTA reception is VERY important to me as well.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
484 Posts
I saw a HD-100 at a video only store for only $649! I snatched me up one of them! The fan seems quiet and I haven't seen a signal dropout yet. I am using it with a directv dish by the way not for OTA.

Maynerd

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
c0_re,

I own one of these Sonys and I tell people to stay away from them. I still get dropouts (but not on the hour so I can't set my watch anymore) and the fan is still loud. It changes channels slower than my first generation internal Zenith HD tuner. I would tell you to take a close look at either the Panny (they make excellent equipment now, kind of where Sony was years ago) or the very soon-to-be-released Zenith. The Zenith looks fabulous on paper and our moderator saw it and so far the feedback looks good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ive had the Mits HD-5 for months and love it. Never had any problems and the APG makes everything easy for you. Also excepts two area codes if you live between two cities to pick up HD from.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.