AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what amplifier setup to use with an Oppo bdp105. I want to use it for music and home theater. I have a Carver C1000a which is 5 channel AVR. I want to use the Oppo as the preamp and the Carver as the power amp. I'll output audio via the analog speaker outputs. The Carver has two main-in jacks. Does that mean I can only amplify two channels with the Carver?

If so, I need another power amplifier for the other 5 channels. Any suggestions for a good power amp that's under $1000? I want it to have similar power output to the Carver, 200W/channel.

Do I need to do something or add some equipment to match two amps with the Oppo?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
If you want to use the Oppo as preamp for 5 ch sound then you'd need an amp with multiple channel inputs, or get active speakers. Or simply use an optical cable and use the Carver. 200w/ch for 5 ch for $1000 maybe the Emotiva XPA-5. Seems like a lot of $ to simply use the Oppo as preamp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to use both amps to get seven channel sound, splitting up the channels between the two amps. 2 channels for the Carver and 5 for a new amp with 5 channel inputs.

Is that doable?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Since you have two ch in on the Carver you could do that for two of the channels and the other five by adding a 5 ch amp like the Emotiva. Does the Oppo have a room setup/room correction routine to utilize for setup?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettvee  /t/1523045/newbie-amp-questions#post_24495785

I'm trying to figure out what amplifier setup to use with an Oppo bdp105.

The straight forward answer is pick something from these places:

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/amps.html

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live-power-amplifiers
Quote:
I want to use it for music and home theater.

Two rules of thumb about that:

If it sounds good for music it will probably sound good for HT if its powerful enough

Most amps are just fine for both.
Quote:
I have a Carver C1000a which is 5 channel AVR. I want to use the Oppo as the preamp and the Carver as the power amp. I'll output audio via the analog speaker outputs. The Carver has two main-in jacks. Does that mean I can only amplify two channels with the Carver?

I did a little research and found that the Carver C1000a seems like a good choice because it was claimed to have more power than the average AVR. I found it difficult or impossible to find a user's manual so I can't do my typical thing and read the user's manual and actually know something about the topic. I'm flying blind!

I'm surprised that you say that the Carver has only 2 input jacks. Maybe there is a set of line level multchannel input jacks on the back panel? If so, those would seem to be the preferred choice. Just turn the volume control to someplace between 12 and 3 o'clock so that you don't have to turn the volume on a Oppo down too far.

So before I dig the hole deeper, are you sure that the Carver doesn't have 5 identical input jacks hidden away someplace?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1523045/newbie-amp-questions#post_24499296

Arny, when I tried to do the same came up with little, but the input specs on cnet and the photo of the back of the unit here http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?34099-FS-Carver-C1000-Receiver seem to indicate it has no multi-ch inputs. A seven channel amp from Outlaw might be a good solution albeit it would cost more http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7200.html

Agreed. Outlaw, Emotiva, Crown, QSC or Behringer seem like good alternatives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the manual. The Carver has a DB25 input which will carry 5.1 analog audio into the receiver bypassing the internal processing. I have found cables online that have multichannel analog audio output and DB25 at the other end.

If I use the DB25 solution, I still need to power 2 more channels for 7.1 audio. Do outlaw and emotiva make good 2 channel amps? About how much should I spend on it?

The Oppo does not have options for room correction. Is there a way to do it manually?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettvee  /t/1523045/newbie-amp-questions#post_24499416

I found the manual. The Carver has a DB25 input which will carry 5.1 analog audio into the receiver bypassing the internal processing. I have found cables online that have multichannel analog audio output and DB25 at the other end.

If I use the DB25 solution, I still need to power 2 more channels for 7.1 audio. Do outlaw and emotiva make good 2 channel amps? About how much should I spend on it?

The Oppo does not have options for room correction. Is there a way to do it manually?

Two channel amps are everywhere, Emotiva and Outlaw make good amps as do a lot of others. How much is up to you. Rear surrounds don't get a lot of action and doubt you need 200w/ch for them but you haven't mentioned what your speaker setup is at all...

I thought I read from some of those trying to use the Oppo as a preamp that it had some sort of setup built in. Does it have ability to delay signal so you can adjust for distance? Not much of a pre-amp if it can't adjust levels and distance for multi channel setup. Here's some thoughts on the subject http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/setting-speaker-levels-distance-in-a-surround-sound-system

Search the threads for use of Omnimic from Parts-Express.com, or a calibrated usb mic and REW software, assuming you have a computer you can use (preferably a laptop) as well as settings in the Oppo to input level and delay with. There's always a nice avr with something like AudysseyXT32 to make it simpler and built-in, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The oppo does have the ability to adjust for levels and distance. You've given much to think about. Thank you all very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts