AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently gone a little crazy with my system. I currently have a Yamaha 2040 running my old floor stands and one set of my ceiling speakers. I am preouting to a zone 2 where I have my old marantz 6006 running the rest of my built in home system, (walls and ceilings in numerous rooms) thru a niles splitter. I'm am playing wav files that I downloaded on my PC over a wifi connection. Now the issue, I am purchasing some tannoy DC 10 ti's which would appreciate a dedicated amp. I am looking at parasound as a reasonable choice given I am not running a dedicated DAC and of course streaming over wifi. Question, I still want to use the Yamaha interface with my PC, so can I preout to a better amp/preamp and still get upgraded sound or does the Yamaha DAC control the sound? I don't understand the inner workings of an AVR to know when the wifi signal is processed? Thanks

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Pre-amp and DAC effects sound quality.

Also why are you using wave? Compress with flac, save space on your computer, keeping lossless audio quality, having metadata and replaygain, and reduce bandwidth over your wifi network.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pre-amp and DAC effects sound quality.

Also why are you using wave? Compress with flac, save space on your computer, keeping lossless audio quality, having metadata and replaygain, and reduce bandwidth over your wifi network.
So how much will the preamp from the Yamaha will effect the sound from the parasound?

Wav files are about 20% larger but play in everything. Since I already had a substantial amount of my CDs loaded when I transferred to a new hard drive I just kept all my playlists on wmp. Wmp actually works great with the Yamaha and wav files with a good router. Flac doesn't always play.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also saw another post that indicated that all input files are run thru the DAC so that would appear to answer my question, the initial DAC in this case my Yamaha would control the sound out of the pre outs and ultimately the amp, is that correct?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
So how much will the preamp from the Yamaha will effect the sound from the parasound?

Wav files are about 20% larger but play in everything. Since I already had a substantial amount of my CDs loaded when I transferred to a new hard drive I just kept all my playlists on wmp. Wmp actually works great with the Yamaha and wav files with a good router. Flac doesn't always play.
No wonder flac doesn't play WMP. Ditch WMP. It's rubbish. Use foobar it's bit perfect. Use WSAPI plugin to get bit perfect playback. WMP ripper is a rubbish too. Use EAC.

Also if you use streaming service like UPNP it doesn't matter if your files are alac, or flac.

There is no benefit to WAVE, and in fact it's all drawbacks. No meta data, no replaygain, larger file size. There is no sound quality improvement to wave.

I store all my music in flac

"Wav files are about 20% larger but play in everything."

Wrong. About 50-60% LOL. My flac files play in everything. Winamp, Foobar, Dbpoweramp, squeezebox, my two portable media players, media streamer.

"Since I already had a substantial amount of my CDs loaded when I transferred to a new hard drive"

You can batch convert your wave files with dbpoweramp or foobar

As already explained, DAC and Yamaha pre-amp will effect sound quality.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I also saw another post that indicated that all input files are run thru the DAC so that would appear to answer my question, the initial DAC in this case my Yamaha would control the sound out of the pre outs and ultimately the amp, is that correct?
Yes, the digital signal would be converted by the DAC in the Yamaha and results available to the amp via the analog preouts. I would think the signal is competently handled by the Yamaha and the amp you're thinking about.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts