AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the great info on these forums. Newbie to AT screens and wanting to know if you think an AT screen is possible in my space. Going to put in a non-dedicated theater area in my basement. The viewing space will be about 18' wide and about 20 to 25' back. To the right of the theater will be a gaming area. I can control most, but not all light (no outside light, some light possible from the gaming area but will have dimmers on can lights or open to better options). There is also a 7' nook in which the screen will be off-set from the gaming area.

Do you think an AT screen is possible or do I need total light control? I would be willing to spend a few extra bucks on a good AT screen if it is possible. Have not decided on projector yet (or 16:9 vs. 2:35 for that matter). Rough sketch attached with old floor plan and a quick note not to scale. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,006 Posts
Thanks for all the great info on these forums. Newbie to AT screens and wanting to know if you think an AT screen is possible in my space. Going to put in a non-dedicated theater area in my basement. The viewing space will be about 18' wide and about 20 to 25' back. To the right of the theater will be a gaming area. I can control most, but not all light (no outside light, some light possible from the gaming area but will have dimmers on can lights or open to better options). There is also a 7' nook in which the screen will be off-set from the gaming area.

Do you think an AT screen is possible or do I need total light control? I would be willing to spend a few extra bucks on a good AT screen if it is possible. Have not decided on projector yet (or 16:9 vs. 2:35 for that matter). Rough sketch attached with old floor plan and a quick note not to scale. Thanks.
Is there a reason in particular you want to go with an AT screen, as opposed to a regular non AT ? Just curious.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't know why you wouldn't be able to go with an AT screen; especially if you go with something close to a 1.0 gain. I've had both a regular screen and AT and I don't think non-direct light had any different effect between the two.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Craig - AT screen is a holdout from when I wanted to do a dedicated theater. I liked the aesthetics and sound coming from the screen. However, in another forum someone gave me the good idea to hide tower speakers behind a false like, just like a dedicated theater.

Techtre2003 - thanks, I was wondering if there was a difference.

Concerned about some light getting through, however, and if not an AT screen wondering if I should shoot for a 1.3 gain screen for when some lights are on, etc. I am all over the spectrum!

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts