Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

This is a fantastic forum! I am planning on building a HTPC system to view & record HDTV and 1080p content, view DVDs, and play music. We are planning on buying the Westinghouse 37" 1080p monitor and using the system with MCE 2005. Primary concrns are HDTV & DVD viewing & recording and a quiet system. We are not gamers.

Based upon recommendations on this forum and on Tom's Hardware, I am considering the following components:

Intel 540 P4 3.2

Asus P5GD2 Deluxe motherboard

Silverstone SST-LC03B-VFD case

Seasonic S12-380 Power Supply

2 Maxtor 250 drives (in RAID 0 and 1)

AverMedia Ultra TV 1500

AverMedia TVHD

Gigapyte Nvidia 6600GT

Toshiba SD-R5372 DVD RW

Does this look like a reasonable value-oriented system that will accomplish the goals above? Are there any suggestions or alternates that you would recommend?

We are about to spend quite a bit of money, and I want to get it right the first time!

Thanks for your help and experience!

Steve

·
Registered
766 Posts
Steve,

Your system will scream! I don't know anything about MCE, but I use my P3, 1 GHZ with an ASUS TUSL-C mobo and a measly 512 MB of RAM to watch DVD's with Theater Tek, and it does a wonderful job. I also watch and record HDTV with a MyHD-120 capture card. My kids both watch DVD's on their cheapo Compaq computers with only 256 MB of RAM.

Fear not, your system will exceed your expectations.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That system will be great, It seams like a reasonable set up that will be affordable and it will be really nice on that 37" Westinghouse. Raid HDs is the right thing to do, I am going to do that to mine pretty soon.

My Media center has

AMD 2500+ Barton

Abit NF7-m motherboard

Lite On DVD/RW

Seagate 200 gig HD

Evga Nvidea MCE Dual tuner card

Gforce FX 5200 Ultra video card

Coolermaster 400W Power Supply

Gyration Ultra Suite

All hooked up to a dual monitor set up. One mon. is a Samsung 15 lcd the other is my Benq front proj.

Make sure to buy a nice wireless keyboard and mouse like the Gyration. There is nothing like sitting back on the couch and being on the computer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.