AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to dive into the HDTV world and would greatly appreciate any advice/help that you guys can give me. I want to buy the new Toshiba (65H81). I already have directTV with the elliptical dish. Here are some of my questions:

- What are my options as far as a decoder for the directTV and Toshiba?Which is the best choice?

- Do I have to change the position of my satellite to pick up HD channels? Will I be able to get the regular channels and the HD channels at the same time?

- Memphis doesn't currently have local HD channels yet so I will be watching a lot of football in analog. How is this going to look and is there anything that I can do to prevent Marshall Faulk from looking short and fat on the widescreen?

- I have a Panasonic RV30 DVD player. Should I get a better DVD player for a good picture when watching movies? If so, what is the best one?

- Will I be able to use PIP on the TV with just one DirectTV receiver or will I need to get another one?

- I have a replay TV and would like to use it watching football etc. Is replay TV compatible with PIP and HDTV?

- I would like to find someone to help me put together my system (including the Bose lifestyle 50 w/wiring throughout the house), how do I go about finding a good knowledgeable person to help me with this task.

- When and who should I get to help me with the fine tuning of the TV once I get it?

- Should I get an extended warranty on the TV?

I am sorry for all the dumb questions that I have. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Here are some answers:

- RCA is the cheapest. Sony has some problems but they are getting better. Everyone around here likes Hughes. I have Dishnetwork so my opinions don't hold much water.

- Do you have a 18x24 eliptical dish to pick up local stations? If so, you don't have to do anything.

- Their are multiple stretch modes. Pick the one that looks the best to you. Try not to watch too much TV with grey/black bars on the sides. That's a good way to burn in an image.

- Get a progressive DVD player. Post that question is a different part of AVSforum.

- You need two tuners to get PIP. The HD receivers only have one tuner. You can PIP with DirecTV and OTA analog.

- Replay can't record HD signals at all. It can be used as another source for PIP.

- Memphis has a lot of home theater type stores. Check out the yellow pages. If you haven't purchased the Bose system yet, please don't. They are way over priced for the quality you get.

- You can do most of the calibration of the TV yourself with Avia or Video Essentials DVD's. After it is broken in, you can have it ISFed. Check with local stores to see if they offer that service.

- Best Buy and Circuit City's extended warranties are questionable. Search the net and there are horror stories of people getting crappy service. As for local dealers offering service, I've talked to Dilday and Giant. Giant on Hacks Cross and in Southaven both were clueless idiots. The guy at Dilday was nice but he admitted that he didn't know that much about the HD technology.

-Robert

·
Registered
856 Posts
- What are my options as far as a decoder for the directTV and Toshiba? Which is the best choice?

I'D GET THE TOSHIBA DECODER IF GETTING A TOSHIBA TV.

- Do I have to change the position of my satellite to pick up HD channels? Will I be able to get the regular channels and the HD channels at the same time?

IF YOUR ELLIPTICAL DISH WAS MOUNTED CORRECTLY FOR ELLIPTICAL DISHES, YOU CAN LEAVE IT AS IS. CONFIRM BY TUNING TO CHANNELS 199, 509, AND NASA ... IF YOU GET ANY OF THEM, IT WORKS.

- Memphis doesn't currently have local HD channels yet so I will be watching a lot of football in analog. How is this going to look and is there anything that I can do to prevent Marshall Faulk from looking short and fat on the widescreen?

YOU WILL HAVE BLACK OR GREY BARS ON THE SIDES OF THE PICTURES. SOME PLAYERS WILL STILL LOOK FAT (EXAMPLE: IF YOU WATCH A LOT OF BASEBALL, WATCH DAVID WELLS OR RICH GARCES). IF YOU WATCH EVERYTHING IN THE CORRECT ASPECT RATIO, THE ONLY PROGRAMMING YOU WILL SEE THAT "DOESNT" HAVE BARS ON THE SIDES WILL BE DIRECTV 199 AND MOST 509 PROGRAMMING (AND DVD'S, DEPENDING ON HOW THEY WERE FILMED). IF MEMPHIS GETS ANY NETWORK OTA HDTV, THEN HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE 16:9.

- I have a Panasonic RV30 DVD player. Should I get a better DVD player for a good picture when watching movies? If so, what is the best one?

I WOULD TRY USING YOUR RV30 TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK OF THAT PICTURE BEFORE SPENDING MORE MONEY. A CURRENT MODEL PROGRESSIVE SCAN TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER WOULD BE A SAFE BET FOR YOU, CONSIDERING THE TV YOU ARE GETTING (ELIMINATING INCOMPATIBILITIES).

- Will I be able to use PIP on the TV with just one DirectTV receiver or will I need to get another one?

IF ALL YOU HAVE IS DIRECTV (IE: NO CABLE, NO ANTENNA, NO OTHER SATELLITE PROVIDERS) YOU WILL NEED TWO SIGNALS (CHEAP BOXES ARE AVAILABLE).

- I have a replay TV and would like to use it watching football etc. Is replay TV compatible with PIP and HDTV?

REPLAY PROBABLY ONLY HAS ONE TUNER, SO YOU COULD ONLY USE TRICKPLAY FEATURES ON ONE PROGRAM AT A TIME. NO HDTV WORKS WITH REPLAY (YOU'D NEED TO USE MORE THAN ONE OF THE OUTPUTS OF THE DIRECTV BOX).

- I would like to find someone to help me put together my system (including the Bose lifestyle 50 w/wiring throughout the house), how do I go about finding a good knowledgeable person to help me with this task.

NO COMMENT ON THE BOSE. I ASKED ABOUT 100 QUESTIONS ON THIS FORUM TO LEARN HOW TO SET UP MY SYSTEM. SAVE SOME MONEY FOR ADDING ADDITIONAL WIRES, SPLITTERS, AND CONNECTIONS ... YOU ALWAYS SEEM TO NEED A FEW MORE.

- When and who should I get to help me with the fine tuning of the TV once I get it?

(ECHO WHAT THE OTHER POSTER ABOVE SAID.)

- Should I get an extended warranty on the TV?

I DONT WANT TO BE THE ONE TO TELL YOU NOT TO. IF IT INCLUDES SITE VISITS, TUNE-UPS, ETC IT CAN BE WORTH IT. I DIDNT HAVE THE $$$ TO GET ONE FOR MY TV, BUT I GOT A DIRECT VIEW SET, WHICH TYPICALLY HAS LESS PROBLEMS. TRY TO NEVER NEED TO MOVE THE TV AGAIN TO HELP REDUCE PROBLEMS.

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

[This message has been edited by RScogland (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all the info guys. Would the TOSHIBA DST3000 be my best bet for the converter. Also, what is the best remote control to use (the Phillips TSU 2000?) Thanks again,

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.