AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew absolutely nothing about home theater until I started researching it this afternoon. Now I need one! I've read through a lot of threads here and need some guidance. I'll try to provide as much relevant info as I can. I am looking to buy a projector and need something for a screen.

I'm looking to spend about $1000 on the projector. I live in an apartment which I will be likely moving from in a year or two so I don't want to spend any money on anything that can't be easily transferred to a new place. Therefore, I'd like a projector that doesn't require any special mountings - ideally something that could sit on a table and be stored in between uses.

I've read the suggested threads detailing rainbow, screen door, etc.. These have not scared me off from that type of projector but I do tend to be the type of person that can obsess over something trivial. Therefore, I'd like a projector that I can easily return if it drives me crazy.

Based on the dimensions of my room, the absolute farthest I can be to the screen is 13', maybe 14'. The closest I could sit is around 10'. The wall is 7' long, from edge to edge. There are no limitations on height.

I have a large white wall that would be perfect for the screen. I want to spend very little money for the screen. Here is what I am considering:

-Project it directly on the wall (I could paint it if there is a good type of paint for this)

-Buy a cheap screen (like the kind in school classrooms that rolls down and then back up)

-Buy some screen material and affix it directly on the wall

-Build my own screen. Again there is the moving factor. Besides a power drill and the very basics, I own no tools and I have no experience with building things like that but I can follow directions pretty well if they are very clear (i.e. It has to be easy to build!).

Well, thanks if you've read this far. If you have a suggestion for a specific projector or type of projector, that would be great. Also recommendations on where to buy. Is there a deal thread? And I'd like to know of any sites or FAQs, etc.. that helps you through the process of deciding what to buy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I would probably wait till November when the new projectors come out. It's amazing how every year companies introduce models that are far superior than the previous year.

I bought my projector last year in September partly because it came with a rebate. By January of 2003 there were projectors that had better contrast levels for less than what I paid.

Projectors have a weakness with black levels where blacks look like greys. It's possible to improve the black levels by projecting on screens that are slightly grey and using FL-Day filters.

I built my screen using blackout material found in fabric stores.

Here's a link to a thread that I found on this forum to build a screen.
http://members.shaw.ca/danhanson/The...eenproject.htm

I would suggest buying your projector first then determine after what screen size you want.

Most of the things in my theater are do it yourself. Click the gallery button on my post and you can get an idea of what I did.

Alot of information on projectors can be found at projector central.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Just keep reading this forum. In time you'll discover all the favorite PJs, how much they cost, where to get them cheap, more successful DIY screen solutions than you want, and some damn fine members.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Go for it.

I'd start with the wall you have now if it is nearly white. If not buy a chap can of high-hide satin white or ultra-white paint at the neighborhood hardware store.

If you aren't happy with the wall, read the screen forum for DYI ideas. For a ready to go screen, a Dalite or Draper Matte White pull down classroom-style screen is the next step up available for less than $100.

I think the advice to wait is good - if you can stand to wait. Otherwise I would look at/read threads on the Z1, L200u, and x1. That epson s1 looks like a cheap option as well.

Have a progressive DVD player? a Stereo? If not a HTIB (Home Theater in a Box) can be a good apartment option.

Probably about the time you are ready to move, you will also be ready to upgrade every item in your theater. Best of luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.