AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a comparison of these 2 TV's. Not neccessarily these 2 models in particular however -- that's just a bonus.

These are both approximately the same price, with the Panasonic being 16:9 and the Sony being 4:3.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages of LCD vs. CRT. I'm not a huge videophile and have a huge problem following many of these technical-jargon filled posts :)

I know weight is a huge factor -- 300 lbs for 40" CRT vs. 90 lbs for Panny LCD. Also, Panny LCD wins in terms of size -- 15" depth vs. 25" depth!

What other adv/disav are there?

My viewing characteristics:
  • Progressive Scan DVD player (Panasonic S35)
  • Standard Cable for now, eventually want sattelite (DirectTV) or diigtal cable
  • Viewing distance of approx 10 ft.
  • TV will face windows, but windows face north. Majority of TV viewing (70%) done at night.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Sony 40" was always my first choice for over a year. I loved the idea of having a tube that big (At the time I was using an RCA 36"). Of course, if I remember correctly, the MSRP was around $4000. That was the TV I was going to get and as the prices fell I became even more addicted to the idea of the Sony... until I found the Samsung DLP!

Well, the Samsung ended up not meeting my needs because of the various issues that can be read in other threads. Then I found the Panasonic and found a new TV. Purchased it immediately after it came out!

I am very glad that I went with a 16X9 TV. Even in 4X3 mode I believe the diagonal is around 40 inches, so I'm not missing anything size wise. But wide screen presentations just rock on a 16X9! I never minded black bars, but knowing that many movies closely match the 16X9 aspect ratio means black bars aren't present on a lot of DVD releases. A nice bonus!

Also, 16X9 Hi-Def is incredible! I love watching the commercials right before a Hi-Def program comes on. The commercials are locked in at 4X3 and when the network feed hits, the change in quality is just fascinating and mesmerizing! I love showing my friends the coolness of 16x9 right before a Hi-Def program. They'll say "so what? that's no bid deal!" and i say, "wait 30 seconds..." and then boom! Hi-Def 16X9 kicks in! its very funny to see their reactions!

Now I know I haven't really answered any of your questions. Sorry.

DVDs will have a more cinematic feel on the Panasonic (or any 16X9 TV).

You may be disappointed with standard cable (I was). Many people are not. And I have gotten use to the PQ of standard cable.

10 ft. sounds like a pretty good distance for a 50" 16X9. Not sure about the SONY. It may be a tad far.

I believe the windows will give you problems with either TV. However, the Panasonic does have a pretty good screen that minimizes reflections.

Anyhow, sorry for rambling. When you mentioned the TV I always wanted and the TV I now have today, I just had to chime in!

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
klsemba:

Thanks for your thoughts on this. You are gushing over the panasonic LCD, but I'm wondering the drawbacks of LCD? is it less bright and vivid? I mean, there has to be some disadvantages as compared to the sony CRT, no?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.